How to make handwriting more "manly"?

ateebtk

I think what I want to know is, Does this really bother you, or were you just trying to get some conversation going here?

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RitaCarbon

• Scrawler

• Shangas

• ateebtk

Speaking seriously, I don't think it's possible to define what is "manly" handwriting and what is "girly" handwriting. To me, "manly" handwriting means neat, legible handwriting. That's all.

If your writing is neat and legible, it's manly. If it's nice and decorative to boot, that's just a bonus.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Manly sounds more like humanly. In some languages, a man and a human are the same. The word "girly" is used here to trick you into resistance to it. If you see that they want to control you that way, you will simply laugh at them. They think it's girly, but who cares about their thinking. It's very manly to allow them to think whatever they want, and still do things your way, not theirs.

Do you know that old Sinatra's song? "I did it my way..." That's manly.

A sad thing in today's world is a lack of individuality, I reckon. People are too insecure to do what they want, feel good about what they do, and not give a damn what others think. Instead, they have to follow the masses and if they see anyone going the other way, they feel it's their god-given right / duty / responsibility to chnge their thinking to conform to the masses.

You should be proud of your handwriting, if your handwriting is something to be proud of, and hang anyone who says otherwise. If we all wrote the same, police handwriting-analysits would be out of a job.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

I have a fairly classic Palmer style handwriting... it is how I was taught back in the stone age in school before ballpoints....

To this day I still have a very neat and, I believe, easy to read classical handwriting.... It is not an exact copy of Palmer, but over the years it is how my handwriting developed..

Take a look... do you consider this girly.... should it be considered girly.... I don't think so.... it is correct for the style that was taught to both boys and girls when I was in elementary school...

People who consider neat and stylish handwriting girly generally do not have great handwriting themselves, but might believe they do...

Want to show them some real MANLY handwriting... get a block of stone and chisel....

I will stay with my handwriting..

I agree with Tom.

Unless you write in 'Barbie' pink with lots of hearts, there is absolutely nothing to differentiate between handwriting by a male or by a female IMO.

Tom -

Your handwriting is an example of the Palmer style at its very best - and doesn't look in the least feminine....or masculine.

I agree with Tom.

Unless you write in 'Barbie' pink with lots of hearts, there is absolutely nothing to differentiate between handwriting by a male or by a female IMO.

Tom -

Your handwriting is an example of the Palmer style at its very best - and doesn't look in the least feminine....or masculine.

Caliken, coming from you in particular -- and I enjoy your highly professional calligraphy handwriting - it sounds like the voice of ultimate truth.

Want to show them some real MANLY handwriting... get a block of stone and chisel....

Also recommend wearing a lot of thick gold chains while saying in a deep voice either "I PITY THE FOOL with ugly handwriting" or "Quit your jibber jabber!"

3. "Mr. ..., are you trying to seduce me?"

Oh that's a GOOD one!! :roflmho:

8. Oh thank you. Tomorrow I'll bring in the hot pink, rose-scented ink and let you try some.

9. I know...this nail-polish really does that to me *rubs FP ink on nails and blows on it* Like it?

10. Ooooh you're SWEET!!

You know what is funny about this. I have recently expended considerable effort to locate some Levenger Pinkly, a now discontinued "shocking pink" ink. This is exactly what I would do. Use pink ink, with my "girly" handwriting. :roflmho: :ltcapd:

Manly sounds more like humanly. In some languages, a man and a human are the same. The word "girly" is used here to trick you into resistance to it. If you see that they want to control you that way, you will simply laugh at them. They think it's girly, but who cares about their thinking. It's very manly to allow them to think whatever they want, and still do things your way, not theirs.

Do you know that old Sinatra's song? "I did it my way..." That's manly.

"Girly" has an implication of diminutive. It is an attitudinal hold over from the fortunately now dying, paternalism that we have mistakenly labored under for a couple millennia. I completely agree with you. If what a human does harms no one, gets the job done, and causes them joy, then it makes them a better human if they do not care what others think of it. It is a reflection of the insecurity of the person making the suggestion, that writing is "girly". It does no one any good, to allow other people's inadequacies, to manipulate them into changing themselves. Some people cannot stand the idea that you have a separate identity to them, that does not conform to the exact same rules and standards. They try to force you to become like them and accept their values, so that they do not have to feel so insecure.

Basically what this means is that if someone says "your handwriting is girly", what they are actually saying is "your individualism makes me feel insecure". This is in effect an admission that they are a lesser person than you. They are casting their self as being of lower status.

A sad thing in today's world is a lack of individuality, I reckon. People are too insecure to do what they want, feel good about what they do, and not give a damn what others think. Instead, they have to follow the masses and if they see anyone going the other way, they feel it's their god-given right / duty / responsibility to chnge their thinking to conform to the masses.

You should be proud of your handwriting, if your handwriting is something to be proud of, and hang anyone who says otherwise. If we all wrote the same, police handwriting-analysits would be out of a job.

Yes. I should have waited till I had read this before responding above, I was reading one at a time, and responding in sequence. You have said it more succinctly than I.

:thumbup:

Is Barbi Pink OK with out the hearts? :cloud9:

If you have beautiful and legible handwriting, why should it matter? This doesn't help the situation, but that's just my opinion. :thumbup:

My experience has been that people who do this "girlie" thing are usually men who have trouble activating their "feeling function" and are threatened by anything that hints at feelings or emotion.

Well, one thing's for sure, you certainly got a lot of support here.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

Some people cannot stand the idea that you have a separate identity to them, that does not conform to the exact same rules and standards. They try to force you to become like them and accept their values, so that they do not have to feel so insecure.

So true. Have to write it in my journal for daily insiprational reading.

Is Barbi Pink OK with out the hearts? cloud9.gif

Since what time the "heart" is not a manly symbol? Who established the rules?

I have just remembered my Golden Rule: there are no rules.

Even though you are quite burly

you write just like a girly

with all those loops

and plenty of swoops

and your attitude is surly

if you wish to be more man

change your name to Stan

avoiding all inks

that colored are pinks

though risking becoming wan

but truthfully if you dare

show the world you don't care

continuing to write

demonstrate your might

and exhibiting your flair

:ltcapd:

Excellent, Scrawler! You know where I am going to post it, right? Thank you for your new poem.

Rita

Sorry, could not help myself. I just happened to have my poetry pen in hand when I was reading this thread. I was actually intending to write a Valentine poem, but got distracted for a moment, and threw together three stanzas in Limerick form - my favorite for humor. My Valentines verse is not suitable for this forum :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by Scrawler