How to make handwriting more "manly"?

ateebtk

Hi all,

Time and time again, I have received comments like "hey your handwriting is soo girly". I'm not sure if they mean, neat or simply girly. I write cursive handwriting and try to add in fancy loops sometimes (ex. a cool looking "f", or starting "T" in a sentence with swirls ) . Its hard to explain . . .

Q) In your opinion, what does it mean for a handwriting to be "manly" ?

- does it have to be NOT neat

- ur thoughts?

ATK

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RitaCarbon

• Scrawler

• Shangas

• ateebtk

Actually, the neater the "manlier", I believe. Also, avoid loops and use straight, vertical lines on letters such as "L", "T", "P", "Q", "R" "D" etc. etc.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

writing with a B or BB or BBB nib

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

haha :roflmho: I heard that a lot of times also... it's simply because it is pretty to look at and more legible than any standard chicken scratch... and because girls seems to have a nicer handwriting than boys, our handwriting is considered "girly"...

Not dotting your I's with hearts is definitely a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have received comments like "hey your handwriting is soo girly".

Can you post a scan of your handwriting?

I sense some envy here. People sometimes feel insecure about themselves, and the way they cope with their insecurities is by insulting those who make them feel insecure.

Picture please?

Edited by RitaCarbon

I agree with the suggestion to use a broad nib

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Yes, unless you have actual hearts for the dots on you letter i, don't think your flourishes can look girly..

Toaster Pastry has commented on his flourishy handwriting.. I think it's wonderful, full of life, (yes manly), and just wish my own Could look half so well presented...

Now if you wish to Improve your handwriting..that's another thing entirely..

Speaking of flourishes, do spend some time looking at Caliken's, Antonioz's, Mr Pickering's pages via the Penmanship forum..

there are video's too..

Hi all,

Time and time again, I have received comments like "hey your handwriting is soo girly". I'm not sure if they mean, neat or simply girly. I write cursive handwriting and try to add in fancy loops sometimes (ex. a cool looking "f", or starting "T" in a sentence with swirls ) . Its hard to explain . . .

Q) In your opinion, what does it mean for a handwriting to be "manly" ?

- does it have to be NOT neat

- ur thoughts?

ATK

I have a fairly classic Palmer style handwriting... it is how I was taught back in the stone age in school before ballpoints....

To this day I still have a very neat and, I believe, easy to read classical handwriting.... It is not an exact copy of Palmer, but over the years it is how my handwriting developed..

Take a look... do you consider this girly.... should it be considered girly.... I don't think so.... it is correct for the style that was taught to both boys and girls when I was in elementary school...

People who consider neat and stylish handwriting girly generally do not have great handwriting themselves, but might believe they do...

Want to show them some real MANLY handwriting... get a block of stone and chisel....

I will stay with my handwriting..

I have received comments like "hey your handwriting is soo girly".

I sense some envy here. People sometimes feel insecure about themselves, and the way they cope with their insecurities is by insulting those who make them feel insecure.

Maybe it's time to change your friends, not your handwriting.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

Actually, the neater the "manlier", I believe. Also, avoid loops and use straight, vertical lines on letters such as "L", "T", "P", "Q", "R" "D" etc. etc.

Oh dear, by your definition that would make my writing not manly. :embarrassed_smile: However, no one, so far, has dared to suggest such a thing to me.

Yes, accept your handwriting as it is and consider that your friends are people who accept you with your handwriting the way you are.

That will be a very MANLY action.

Oh dear, by your definition that would make my writing not manly. embarrassed_smile.gif However, no one, so far, has dared to suggest such a thing to me.

MANLY and GIRLY are words for kids. Adults use the word HUMAN...

Whatever your handwriting is, just be proud of it. It reflects your personality and is unique in its way. Dare to be yourself!

i'm intrigued. can you post a pic of your hand writing?

yes, ill post up scans tomorrow (b/c my camera is not good) and after i get done w/ school

Yes, unless you have actual hearts for the dots on you letter i, don't think your flourishes can look girly..

Toaster Pastry has commented on his flourishy handwriting.. I think it's wonderful, full of life, (yes manly), and just wish my own Could look half so well presented...

Now if you wish to Improve your handwriting..that's another thing entirely..

Speaking of flourishes, do spend some time looking at Caliken's, Antonioz's, Mr Pickering's pages via the Penmanship forum..

there are video's too..

no .. but i will b/c i really want to incorporate these "flourishes" into my handwriting.... My favorites are the beginning of sentences especially "T" in the word "the". Right now they are very basic and not that good looking but I would really like to learn more...

ATK

Ha. Manly is all relative, defined and reconstructed. I'd keep your handwriting, as it's nice to look at. Sorry, I wouldn't conform to our society's "manly" ideal of being coarse 'i don't care' attitude. I'd rather take aesthetics.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!