Waterman Carene Problem. Your help me!

Adryan900079

I would like to ask your help: I have 2 Waterman Carene (an Amber Shimmer and a Deluxe Silver Cap), and I am having problems with the two. When I put the cap and bolt the pens, when I will write with them, inside of the cap it is full of ink and the nib section is all spotted of paint. Which will the problem that is having with my pens be? Any help will be valid.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Treecat

• Adryan900079

• christiandrs

• Lucky7

Do you use a converter and, if so, did you fill the pen by dunking the nib and section into the bottle and drawing ink into converter that way? I've had similar problems with one of my Carenes in the past, and two things fixed it: First, I started filling the converter directly from the bottle, not through the pen. The collector of a Carene holds a boatload of ink, and I believe a lot of it can seep out through the rear ends of the nib fins. To use a technical term (rolleyes!) I think the pen can be overfilled... Second, I gave the section a good flushing with water to clear out all of that collected ink. It took awhile to sort the problem out, but the pen is now very well behaved. I'll occasionally get a dab of ink on my forefinger, but I tend to hold the pen close to the fins anyway and a dab of ink is, IMO, expected if I do that.

I have a second Carene that I've never had this problem with, but I also started out by filling the converter directly and not via shoving the nib and section into the ink bottle.

There are some inks that people have reported don't work well in Carenes, they go all over the place--Tanzanite perhaps?

Friend,

I am very happy for your explanation. I usually supply the pen with the beak dived in the ink bottle. Now, I will supply through the dipped converter, and not of the beak. Then I talk you about the results. Best Regards! Adriano

Friend,

I am very happy for your explanation. I usually supply the pen with the beak dived in the ink bottle. Now, I will supply through the dipped converter, and not of the beak. Then I talk you about the results. Best Regards! Adriano

You're welcome. I hope that helps you out. It's what helped solve my problem at least. A lot of people here have Carenes and love them, so I know you'll get other good advice, too. :)

I'll add that when I carry a Carene around (particularly the one I've had a little trouble with) I'll be careful when pulling it out of purse or briefcase and using it. After slinging a bag around, sometimes I've found a few drops of ink on the section. I just take a tissue and dab it off.

Really, I've gotten to where, on any pen I use a converter with, I fill the converter directly from the bottle. It's just easier and neater that way. :)

I had bad luck with some Noodlers ink in my 8 Carenes, as well as some Private Reserve. It has a tendency to wander from the nib onto the section and make a mess.

Try Watermans, Herbin, or Montblanc ink. Watermans ink is beautifully behaved. :thumbup:

Want to second GP's comment on Waterman ink..

I've long said Aurora Black was The Black of Black inks..

However, I recently begain using Waterman black on my daily reports-it just stands out as a great ink..

Not to mention the nib is clean, Nothing in the cap.. no feathering on any of the misc. papers used at work.

I still enjoy Noodlers in other pens, but my everyday reliable work ink is now Waterman.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue with a Carene fountain pen a couple of years ago as Treecat described. I also found that filling the convertor directly fixed the issue. I was using Parker Quink which I expect is very similar to the Waterman ink. Fortunately it was washable so could be cleaned off my suit, though it stained the leather pen holder I was using. I've never had the same issue with my Duofold though.

Good luck!

Steve

• 7 years later...

(...) and two things fixed it: First, I started filling the converter directly from the bottle, not through the pen.

After a while, doesn't the converter get loose? I've experienced that with some converters, such as Faber-Castell's and Kaweco's.

After a while, doesn't the converter get loose? I've experienced that with some converters, such as Faber-Castell's and Kaweco's.

If you are going to fill the converter from the bottle, why not go a step further and use cartridges and fill them with an ink syringe?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to fill the converter from the bottle, why not go a step further and use cartridges and fill them with an ink syringe?

Good idea -- better than messing the original converter. Thank you, Pajaro.

This is what I sometimes do with converters. :) I find it far to fiddly to try to fill a converter from some bottles of ink, especially those that are not full. -_-