Anyone used a Sheaffer Prelude?

ladyambrosia

OHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEAHHH I HAVE!!!

...And they write like a dream!

If you don't own one, then I can say with full confidence that you may be quite possibly sinning yourself....

(One of the Sheaffer pens that has NOT been affected by the change of manufacturing origin - a rarity, indeed.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• ladyambrosia

• chad.trent

• AL01

Hi,

• I have a Prelude in brushed stainless. I agree with prior comments: bulletproof, good daily writer, nib widths are no surprize (B generates a line width of 0.8 mm).
  • And it was the first pen I loaded with Noodler's Bay State Blue - [insert bare-naked dancing bunny] - so that's some kind of endorsement of what I perceive its bulletproof qualities to be: robust. It is a 'white dot' Sheaffer after all.
  • The nibs are straightforward steel affairs, no quirks or quarks. (Perhaps gold ones are out there, but I'd have no use for them.)
  • Ergonomics are very good: girth at the grip is fine, the contoured grip is certainly not prescriptive as say the Safari. Balance is interesting: I tend to hold the pen at 30 degrees of arc to the page, so I prefer to run unposted; but if one holds the pen closer to the normal 45 degrees, posting the cap is very comfy.
  • The clip is very secure & strong.
  • The cap is a slip-/clip-on, no threads to screw with. Tight with virtually no wobble.
  • The converter is a rigid, screw-type plunger with good ink capacity. Proprietary Sheaffer, though widely available in the civilised world. No idea how common cartridges are in the wild, or the quality of ink in those cartridges, or array of colours. (This would be minus a half-point if scoring.)
  • I recall paying about $40 for an unused one on eB*y, so IMHO a Prelude blows away many other pens in terms of value for money.
  • Oh, it isn't a 'screamer' which attracts attention, so your hub likely wont notice the pen - just the glint in your eyes.
Best Regards,Sandy1

I think Sandy summed it if pretty thoroughly. Reliable, bulletproof, everyday pen.

Hi,

• I have a Prelude in brushed stainless. I agree with prior comments: bulletproof, good daily writer, nib widths are no surprize (B generates a line width of 0.8 mm).
  • And it was the first pen I loaded with Noodler's Bay State Blue - [insert bare-naked dancing bunny] - so that's some kind of endorsement of what I perceive its bulletproof qualities to be: robust. It is a 'white dot' Sheaffer after all.
  • The nibs are straightforward steel affairs, no quirks or quarks. (Perhaps gold ones are out there, but I'd have no use for them.)
  • Ergonomics are very good: girth at the grip is fine, the contoured grip is certainly not prescriptive as say the Safari. Balance is interesting: I tend to hold the pen at 30 degrees of arc to the page, so I prefer to run unposted; but if one holds the pen closer to the normal 45 degrees, posting the cap is very comfy.
  • The clip is very secure & strong.
  • The cap is a slip-/clip-on, no threads to screw with. Tight with virtually no wobble.
  • The converter is a rigid, screw-type plunger with good ink capacity. Proprietary Sheaffer, though widely available in the civilised world. No idea how common cartridges are in the wild, or the quality of ink in those cartridges, or array of colours. (This would be minus a half-point if scoring.)
  • I recall paying about $40 for an unused one on eB*y, so IMHO a Prelude blows away many other pens in terms of value for money.
  • Oh, it isn't a 'screamer' which attracts attention, so your hub likely wont notice the pen - just the glint in your eyes.
Best Regards,

Sandy1

From my experiences, you can find Sheaffer cartridges in arts and crafts stores. IE: (If you live in the US) Micheal's and Hobby Lobby.

Now from my understanding, (judging by what people at pens stores have told me about Sheaffer's current state), they are manufacturing at a lower rate than usual, (AT Cross acquisition) - so if you can't find any ink cartridges it may be because the company is under a 're branding phase'. Anyways, you can find them in any arts and crafts shop.

(One of the Sheaffer pens that has NOT been affected by the change of manufacturing origin - a rarity, indeed.)

It's really the case! Rarity.