Nakaya Ascending Dragon

reprieve

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which finish should I choose?

• Ascending Dragon in Heki-tamenuri
    • Ascending Dragon in Aka-tame gin bokashi

I am getting ready to order a very special pen: the Nakaya Ascending Dragon. This is going to be my one "big" pen purchase of 2010. I am hoping to receive it in May or June (since it will be a special order, it will take approximately four months). My only dilemma is which finish to choose.

In many ways, I prefer the silver bokashi Dragon. It is striking--the design stands out. The silver bokashi is not seen as often as the heki-tamenuri. On the other hand, the heki-tamenuri Dragon is subtler. The Dragon will "ascend" over time--it will become brighter and more noticeable. The art work will evolve with time and use. I am also considering the price difference: the silver bokashi finish is much more expensive than the heki-tamenuri.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Aka-tame gin bokashi (photo from Nakaya.org)

http://www.nakaya.org/special/tamesukasi/gindragon/gindragon4.jpg

Heki-tamenuri (photo from Nibs.com)

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/LongAscendingDragonHekiUnCapped.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reprieve

• kushbaby

• Siv

• johnptc

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Heki-tamenuri because of the on-going pleasure of watching it emerge over time--and because I like the colors better.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Although I love Heki-tamenuri and like the idea of the dragon emerging over time, I think I have to put in my vote for the bokashi. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but that silver is just breathtaking, and I love the pen's speckled ends. What's the price difference?

Get out of my head!!!!! :roflmho:

Seriously... that pen has been on my wish list for ages. I was just looking at it this morning!

I can only tell you that, personally, I like the Aka-tamenuri (no silver) one best as the most subtle of the three, and that's the one I will get. But the heki-tamenuri is nice, too. I personally don't like the silver one. What has me paralyzed (literally, which is why I haven't gotten it yet) is nib choice. That, and the fact that I've built it up in my head that I'm almost scared to get it... :embarrassed_smile:

Where are you getting yours? (From what dealer/vendor?) You may motivate me to get off my duff and get it this year...

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Where are you getting yours? (From what dealer/vendor?) You may motivate me to get off my duff and get it this year...

I am ordering through John Mottishaw. I have bought all of my Nakayas from John (except for the Spiketails, which was bought from another FPN member) and have been very pleased.

I have a range of Nakaya's nib sizes, and they are all wonderful. I like the flexible nibs best (which are very springy), and of course the music nib (which is a luscious, wet, BBB stub). I'm not 100% decided on the nib size for this Dragon quite yet. I will most likely go with the flexible medium, which is what I have on my Spiketails, but I'm considering a flexible fine (if I went with the fine, I would have a set of flexy fine, medium, and broad).

I voted for Heki-tamenuri because of the on-going pleasure of watching it emerge over time--and because I like the colors better.

I am leaning toward the Heki-tamenuri for precisely this reason. Plus it would make a lovely companion to my Danitrio Lions. And the price difference is significant enough to make me think twice about the silver bokashi. If I went with the silver, the entirety of my pen budget would be spent in one sweep.

I am ordering through John Mottishaw. I have bought all of my Nakayas from John (except for the Spiketails, which was bought from another FPN member) and have been very pleased.

I have a range of Nakaya's nib sizes, and they are all wonderful. I like the flexible nibs best (which are very springy), and of course the music nib (which is a luscious, wet, BBB stub). I'm not 100% decided on the nib size for this Dragon quite yet. I will most likely go with the flexible medium, which is what I have on my Spiketails, but I'm considering a flexible fine (if I went with the fine, I would have a set of flexy fine, medium, and broad).

Oh, I *so* want a spiketails.

Can you get an elastic nib from Mottishaw? I thought he wouldn't sell them... Or are you referring to something different?

Kushbaby

My vote would be for the Heki-tamenuri finish. This pen has been on my short list for sometime.

Either one you pick, you will be happy with.

classics

"Churn the Butter"

Can you get an elastic nib from Mottishaw? I thought he wouldn't sell them... Or are you referring to something different?

No, I am not referring to Nakaya's elastic nibs. Those have the cut outs. The flexible nibs do not have cut outs; they look exactly like regular nibs, except the tines and shoulders are thinner to increase flex. Compared to the elastic nibs, the flexible nibs open up more and snap back more. If you go to John's Nakaya nibs page, you will see the soft flexible F and M nibs in the chart. Those are the factory flex nibs, straight from Nakaya. John created my broad flex nib, which looks and performs exactly like the factory flex nibs, except in a larger size. He can do that with any of the Nakaya nibs.

By the way, you can see a great writing sample in this post at LeighR's blog. Incidentally, you can also see Leigh's example of the silver bokashi Ascending Dragon.

No, I am not referring to Nakaya's elastic nibs. Those have the cut outs. The flexible nibs do not have cut outs; they look exactly like regular nibs, except the tines and shoulders are thinner to increase flex. Compared to the elastic nibs, the flexible nibs open up more and snap back more. If you go to John's Nakaya nibs page, you will see the soft flexible F and M nibs in the chart. Those are the factory flex nibs, straight from Nakaya. John created my broad flex nib, which looks and performs exactly like the factory flex nibs, except in a larger size. He can do that with any of the Nakaya nibs.

By the way, you can see a great writing sample in this post at LeighR's blog. Incidentally, you can also see Leigh's example of the silver bokashi Ascending Dragon.

Oooooohhhh.. OK, now I know what nib I want. Which is probably a bad thing...

Hmmm. I think I'll write a VERY nice short list of pens I want, in a pretty color, to keep myself from actually buying them right this second... :bonk:

Kushbaby

I would go for the Heki-tamenuri finish. The subdued tone of the dragon echoes the simplicity of the pen itself. It would not scream its presence like the silver bokashi...

I would go for the Heki-tamenuri finish. The subdued tone of the dragon echoes the simplicity of the pen itself. It would not scream its presence like the silver bokashi...

I'd have to agree completely, but their both beautiful in their own way.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've decided to go with the Heki-tamenuri finish, which is what I was leaning toward. I just needed someone to confirm my decision. The silver bokashi is breathtaking, but the Heki is more in line with my personality.

The nice folks at Nibs.com told me that they actually have the pen in stock (a surprise!), so I should be receiving it within the next week or two. It will have an extra-wet flexible medium nib. :cloud9:

UPS tells me that the Dragon is "out for delivery!"

Now the question is: which ink? A dragon-appropriate fiery reddish orange (Noodler's Dragon's Napalm)? A subdued brown (Noodler's Walnut)? Some sort of green, in order to compliment the Heki? A surprising, bright, turquoise blue? Any suggestions?

My Ascending Dragon Heki-tamenuri arrived Friday. I've been using it extensively for three days now, and have gone through two fills of ink (I chose Dragon's Napalm, which is an appropriate fiery orange). I'm almost on my third fill, and I'll probably switch inks this time--perhaps to a red or a brown. This is my first Long sized Nakaya, and the balance and weight is very nice. I may prefer it to the Portable size. I love my Piccolos, but they are small pens (especially compared to the Long!).

The heki-tamenuri Dragon was definitely the right choice for me. I think the silver bokashi finish would have been too "loud." This is a subtle pen: at first glance, it looks like simple urushi. A second glance, and you notice the dragon. A third glance, and you notice the greenish threads. It's a very beautiful pen, and I look forward to watching the artwork evolve ("ascend") over time.

This pen has lived up to--and surpassed--my expectations. I couldn't be happier. :cloud9:

Please post pictures with writing samples and your pen. I would love to see it!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to post this so late, but in the interest of urging you to upload some photos . . . ! Had I seen this in time, I, too, would have voted for the heki-tamenuri--this is one of the most beautiful pens I've seen, from across the Pacific or the Atlantic. So, can we see a pic or two, with nib exposed?! :happyberet:

I have the Heki Ascending Dragon with an XXF nib that John put on at the Columbus, Ohio Pen Show last November. It wasn't in stock at the time I ordered it and it took five months to get it! Worth every minute, though. :clap1: :cloud9: :notworthy1:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg