ST Dupont Large size Montparnasse

jar

The Montparnasse came in two sizes, the standard as reviewed here and the large.

Both versions have screw on cap pens with the section and filler almost totally hidden in the body. Since you hold the body of the pen to write even the standard size feels large.

http://www.fototime.com/214F79E7D162E2A/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5621E1F4E9FDCE0/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D505E9B143AA73F/standard.jpg

They both use the same system to hold the section in place, a lock at the base of the body that can be opened and used to unscrew the section. This allows the section to be removed cleanly and easily.

The large sized Montparnasse is really a handful. It is a commanding pen that will stand out in any gathering, yet one that also is clean, simple and without any ostentation.

http://www.fototime.com/3670465CC6AF3DE/standard.jpg

As with all ST Duponts, the nibs are moderately wet and very smooth, very controllable.

http://www.fototime.com/09829E827B6610D/standard.jpg

The Montparnasse was the last of the ST Dupont pens to use a cartridge and converter other than the International size. The ST Dupont converter though is the same size as the Parker and Aurora twist converter and they are a perfect fit. Since it is nearly impossible to get the old style ST Dupont ones it's good to know that the Parker will fit the Montparnasse, Classique, Gatsby and Lady models.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• carlc

• saintsimon

• Federalist Pens

The Montparnasse was the last of the ST Dupont pens to use a cartridge and converter other than the International size. The ST Dupont converter though is the same size as the Parker and Aurora twist converter and they are a perfect fit. Since it is nearly impossible to get the old style ST Dupont ones it's good to know that the Parker will fit the Montparnasse, Classique, Gatsby and Lady models.

:eureka:

Thanks for your recocomendation of Parker and Aurora converters. So I tried to put an Aurora cartidge (which is Parker compatible) in my regular sized blue chinese laquer Montparnasse. It fits very well, except punching the hole into the neck is not optimal with the Montparnasse, so one might use a Parker, Aurora or Lamy to do that before inserting a Parker or Aurora cartridge inti the Dupont. Great ink catridge reserve solution.

:cloud9:

IMO, the Montparnasse series is sub-optimal regarding its lengtht. The barrel lengtht is rather short (for me) when held properly, and posting is unconfortable because of the sharp cap lip, which is cutting into ones web between the fingers.

Edited by saintsimon

Very nice review (and pics!) jar!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

IMO, the Montparnasse series is sub-optimal regarding its length. The barrel length is rather short (for me) when held properly, and posting is uncomfortable because of the sharp cap lip, which is cutting into ones web between the fingers.

Interesting. I don't have that problem with either the standard or large sized Montparnasse but certainly do with the Classiques. Also the cap lips on the ones I have are not as sharp and severe as on the Classiques. I do find that I usually post the caps on the metal finished Montparnasse and on the large size regardless of material, but less often when using the Chinese Lacquer finish standard size. this is not so much because they are uncomfortable as because I find the cap tends to work loose on the Chinese Lacquer standard size but not on the large ones.

Glad that the Parker Cartridges worked for you.

Jar, thank you for your review and clarification about Montparnasse sizes. This black and gold larger size pen is absolutely stunning...

Jar, thank you for your review and clarification about Montparnasse sizes. This black and gold larger size pen is absolutely stunning...

Here is a picture of some of the ST Dupont models so you can see relative sizes.

http://www.fototime.com/FB19E08F336F692/standard.jpg

From left to right: Classique, Gastby, standard Montparnasee, large Montparnasse, Ellipsis, Fidelio, standard (large) Olympio and the X-Large Olympio.

Remember that with the Gatsby and Montparnasse you hold the barrel to write and so that is the effective girth of the pen.

I love that X-large Olympio but it always makes me think of Bob Hope!

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

• 1 month later...

Okay, gotta ask.

Why?

Okay, gotta ask.

Why?

Golf trousers.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

• 5 weeks later...

A Montparnasse family portrait.

http://www.fototime.com/8485CC03DC12255/standard.jpg

From left to right: Large Gold lined, Black Chinese Lacquer, Marbled, Standard Amber Guilloche Chairman, Large Silver lined, another Black Chinese Lacquer, Standard Gold lined.