onion skin paper

Scott Searer

Would like to check before I have some samples sent from the States (I am in Beijing):Anybody out there in Fountain Pen land have any experience with 'onion skin‘ paper? I like thin paper that is as smooth as possible, and don't mind a litle bleeding. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rena

• jbb

• GreenVelvet

• inkish

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used onion skin paper in many years. If memory serves me correctly, ink was very slow to dry on this paper. I don't recall bleeding to be a big problem but was using an extra fine nib that was truly "extra fine" and fairly dry. What I remember most was the drying time issue and that may have been more due to the ink I was using rather than the paper. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

I remember it from my childhood. Very thin, very absorbent. My dad used F nibs and it would absorb ink like crazy, so he'd only use it for ballpoints and typewriter ribbons. Probably NOT what you want for fountain pens.

I would disagree. I use onion skin paper and it is very fountain pen friendly. There is NO bleedthrough. Onion skin is usually 9 to 10 pound paper. However, all onion skin paper are probably not created equal. If you're getting some samples at an inexpensive price, then I would encourage you to try it to see first hand how you like it.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

There are various types of onionskin paper — as Enai stated. I have some old, 25% cotton Southworth onionskin paper that is lovely to use. It is thin with a slight transparency and crackles with importance when handled. I also have some which I bought from The Paper Mill Store a few years ago, also thin and lovely to use, but has a slightly rougher texture. And I have some vintage airmail onionskin paper which is similar to the Southworth, but not quite the same. Because of its thin and somewhat transparent qualities, I do not write on both sides of the paper, yet I find no bleed-through. All these papers are fountain pen friendly; however, I find my smoother nibs work best. I think it does take a little longer for ink to dry, but it's not bad. It wouldn't surprise me if some onionskin paper was absorbent as Ghost Pane remembers. Onionskin was common paper during the time when fountain pens were common writing instruments, and many paper companies produced their own version. It's not so easy to find these days.

Would like to check before I have some samples sent from the States (I am in Beijing):Anybody out there in Fountain Pen land have any experience with 'onion skin‘ paper? I like thin paper that is as smooth as possible, and don't mind a litle bleeding. Thanks in advance for your help.

I love :cloud9: writing on onionskin paper with fountain pens! It's absolutely lovely. In my experience it doesn't feather or bleed but you can only write on one side of it since it's transparent. The hardest part is finding it... or at least finding it at a good price.

Hello,

I tried some onionskin from Canada - 'Hilroy' IIRC. It was onionskin, but I sure didn't like it.

The best I found during my travels was the Swiss-made ELCO brand. I have a bit left, but its so old the pad is not barcoded!

There was a similar thread/topic some time ago, mostly concerned with airmail paper, but the results were inconclusive, erhem, concluded that you'd be lucky to find some, either online or in person.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I remember the 9 lb onion skin paper, but I have not seen any in decades. AIR, it was very popular for making typewriter carbon copies.

I did a Google search last time the subject came up and the only things I found on the net were very highly priced. AIR, they were in the neighborhood of $40USD + a ream + shipping.

YMMV

It's FP friendly in my experience, great for inking artwork (put it over the penciled work and ink away), but YMMV. We have it in local bookstores, pretty easy to find and not terribly expensive.

Dropbox online file storage

Using my referral link gives us both 500MB more free space

Consider signing up and helping me out.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a company that makes onion skin called Paper Accents. I purchased a couple of 25 sheet packets from a fellow FPN member and it has proved to be quite nice. No bleed-through or feathering. The paper I have was distributed by Petersen-Arne in Eugene Oregon and is natural in color. I believe it is also available in white. The label description says it is Acid free, lignin free, buffered and of archival quality. I highly recommend it.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

I smell a new paper for me to try out! Sorry I have no information on it I do remember my great grandma talking about Onionskin paper I never gave it much thought before.

Ambrosia's Ink Rack Ink Reviews & More

Coming Soon Noteably yours Evansville area stationer.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

There is a company that makes onion skin called Paper Accents.

Very interesting! Is the Web description "a tissue paper like quality... very delicate" accurate, or is it like the once-standard onion skin (Stuart Hall, et al) made for typing?

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

The paper claims to be made primarily for scrap booking and card making, so it is probably closer to the carbon ready papers of old. It does have a nice texture, but does not seem as thin as the onion papers I was more familiar with.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

I have used 25lb tracing paper with good luck. Hold you finished letter up to the light and the ink seems to glow.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks, John. I guess "tissue paper" is just in the eye of that beholder, then.

Re tracing paper, I wish that Keuffel & Esser "Albanene" were fountain pen (rather than just india) ink-friendly. I like the way it looks, and I have most of a 36" X 50 yd. roll!

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)