Kaweco history part 2

Kaweco

The new Kaweco tried to delete the old times. They bought the old products back from the stationary- and writing article stores and destroyed them! They tried to forbid to repair the old pens!

Compared to the old Kaweco the new product line was very small, but it was a good economic decision during the hard years of the economy crisis.

Since 1930 230 workers produced the Kaweco -Kadett, -Colleg, -Dia, -Elite, -Carat, -Schulkaweco, -Helios and again the Kaweco- Sport, now in an octagonal version, like the old Aurumia products. Their new emblem was an octagon with three segments containing Ka, We and Co. The materials had been BHR and later plastics, most of the today very rare colored Kawecos had been made for the export. I remember only one luxury article of this period, it was an Elite with gold caps. The Kaweco adopted very soon the piston filling mechanism from Kovacs/ Pelikan, IMHO the best filling method.

The firm owner Friedrich Grube died 1960. The production of high end fountainpens went down, the one way article era began to appear. The last owner of the now very small Kaweco factory near Heidelberg was Liselotte Grube, alas she had to close the doors in 1996.

Finally the h & m Gutberlet, a firm for different industrial parts from Nürnberg (Nuremberg) bought the name. It was a friendly overtake and Mr Gutberlet supported the old lady generous.

First I was a little bit disappointed, when the new series of Kaweco Sport appeared. I think very conservative and I am not a friend of cardridge pens. But today I must confess: the little fountainpen is a modern, cheap but very reliable friend. I am proud that the old trademark from my hometown had survived for so many years. 2008 I hope to make an exhibition at the 125th birthday.

Thanks for looking

Kind Regards

Thomas

Disclaimer: I have no connections to the firms. Trade marks belong to their owners.

post-22-1154956807_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kaweco

• rhr

• Bernhard

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for both articles. Here is a list of patents that I was able to dig from the EPO for this company. My german skill are non existant, so if you find any mistake please let me know.

Clips, Caps, Feeds, Nibs for FPs

DE625889 - 1936-02-17

Tintenleiter fuer FuellfederhalterKAWECO

BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR

DE701860 - 1941-01-25

Korrosionsbestaendige Schreibfeder, insbesondere fuer FuellfederhalterMONTBLANC

SIMPLO GMBH; ERNST RICHARD ALBERT GUSTAV RO; (+1)

FR907722 - 1946-03-20

Couvercle

de capuchon pour porte-plume à réservoir ,

KAWECO BADISCHE FU LLFEDER ABR

DE894217 - 1953-10-22

Klipp fuer Fuellhalter u. dgl. KAWECO BADISCHE

FUELLFEDERFABR

BPs

FR1143653 - 1957-10-03Improvements in or relating to ball point pens

iKAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR

DK89383C - 1960-07-18

Udskiftelig patron til kuglepenne. KAWECO

BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR (DE)  

US2972335 - 1961-02-21

Reversible ink cartridge unit for ball point pens

WILHELM GRUBE; OTTO GRUBE FRIEDRICH,

KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR

US3000352 - 1961-09-19.Writing instrument  WILHELM GRUBE; FRIEDRICH

GRUBE ,  KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR  

DK94983C - 1962-12-10

Kuglepen. KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR (DE) 

DE976008 - 1963-06-06

Auswechselbare Mine fuer Kugelschreiber GRUBE

WILHELM DIPL-KFM; GRUBE FRIEDRICH OTTO, KAWECO 

DE1236975 - 1967-03-16

Auswechselbare Mine fuer Kugelschreiber GRUBE

DIPL-KFM WILHELM, KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR

DE7326046U - 1974-00-00

Long ballpoint pen (for example office use) for a pen stand

BPs? or Felt points? Pencils

DE718495 - 1944-09-29

Druckfuellbleistift mit zwei Minenklemmzangen,

WORINGEN HEINRICH; NITZSCHE ROBERT 

CH220232 - 1942-03-31

Druckfüllbleistift mit zwei Minenklemmzangen.FRIEDRICH

GRUBE KAWECO BADISCH (DE),  KAWECO BADISCHE

FUELLFEDERFABR (DE), KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR

DE832720 - 1952-02-28

Kugelschreiber mit Tintenfuellung  GRUBE

FRIEDRICH, KAWECO BADISCHE FUELLFEDERFABR 

Edited by antoniosz

Hi Antoniosz

Thanks for the links. Interesting is the small joint venture between Kaweco and Montblanc to develop the bicolor nib.

At: I cannot see the title, fill in: long ballpoint pen (for example office use) for a pen stand.

Alas, there is not a single patent from the old Kaweco before 1929. I don`t know if the documents had been deleted or destroyed while the German patent office burnt down during ww2. Absolutely sure was for example, that the old Kaweco invented the felt- tip.

Greetings, Thomas

Absolutely sure was for example, that the old Kaweco invented the felt-tip.

Hi Thomas, here's the first US patent for a felt-tip pen that I could find, 946,149. Did the Kaweco felt-tip pen precede this?

George Kovalenko.

:ph34r:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Hi,

I shall be working with Mr. Guberlet on the Kaweco Sport, the current ones. I have many modifications and designs up my sleeves.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi George

OK, you won ;)

The US patent from Mr Neuman was published 1910, the Kaweco had a feltip on display in 1911. I found the document in their catalog which was published in the Kaweco history CD-ROM.

Kind Regards

Thomas

post-22-1155109017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaweco

Thanks for the picture, Thomas.

I think I like the Kaweco felt-tip pen better. It's probably made of hard rubber, and it looks like it writes better than any modern felt-tip. It almost has a fountain-brush-like feel to it.

George Kovalenko.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

• 2 years later...

I have a Kaweco "Kadett" , the pistin (which seems to be made of cork, has shrinked over the years, but I assume this could be fixed by exposing it to some liquid which would cause swelling, right?

Anyway I would like to sell it-in case anyone is interested pls contact me

my e-mail is bernhard.resuch@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

No further help needed -I was able to fix the problem- I subemerged the pen for a couple of days in an emulsion (water, dishwashung detergent and machine oil), apparently this made the piston swell and it´s working fine now. But I intend to seel it, as it is a bit too small a pen for me, made for fermale hands really. If anyone interested pls drop me a mail -correct is bernhard;reusch@gmail.com

[/b]

I have a Kaweco "Kadett" , the pistin (which seems to be made of cork, has shrinked over the years, but I assume this could be fixed by exposing it to some liquid which would cause swelling, right?

Anyway I would like to sell it-in case anyone is interested pls contact me

• 3 months later...
Absolutely sure was for example, that the old Kaweco invented the felt-tip.

Hi Thomas, here's the first US patent for a felt-tip pen that I could find, 946,149. Did the Kaweco felt-tip pen precede this?

George Kovalenko.

My understanding through family lore and minor research is that the "old" KAWECO had a patent for the first refillable felt tip pen.

Tom Elliott

San Diego, CA