Pilot Custom 823 inner cap

enricof

Already posted in the Japanese forum, with no luck.I'm "disturbed" gaah.gif by this problem:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/P1070612edit.jpg

Any alternative to using an inner cap?

Any suggestion about where to buy one without selling a kidney (from Europe, if possible)?

Anyone has a spare one he wants to get rid of?

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enricof

• InkyWinky

• Bill Wood

• viclip

Is that an ink cartridge?!?!?!

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

No, it is ink trapped between the transparent cap and the black inner cap.

Same problem on the amber version.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

• 3 years later...

If you are still concerned with this, it is really easy. Use a pencil to pull the inner cap: it will come out with no resistance because it is not glued or screwed. Clean it and then decide if you want it capless or with the inner cap back.

I'm willing to bet there is a small hex nut holding the clip solid. Gain access to that hex nut thru the plastic liner. Check the Pilot 74 section on the Goulet site. I'm sure that's the answer you need. I have an 823 and will take a look as well.

I'm willing to bet there is a small hex nut holding the clip solid. Gain access to that hex nut thru the plastic liner. Check the Pilot 74 section on the Goulet site. I'm sure that's the answer you need. I have an 823 and will take a look as well.

There's no hex nut in my 823. My best guess would be that the Pilot 823 cap disassembles similarly to the Parker 51 i.e. the "jewel" on top unscrews thereby releasing the clip as well as the inner cap. I've never tried to disassemble mine but if I were to do so, I would apply the normal dry heat treatment to the jewel area as it's probably adhered with some sort of sealant, while proceeding to gingerly attempt to unscrew the jewel using some sort of rubber grip. Having said that I'd really prefer to hear from someone who knows for sure how to disassemble these caps.

• 10 months later...

Anyone figure this out? I'm trying to get my cap apart and couldn't get out the liner (pencil trick didn't work like it does with my Custom 74 and Heritage 92).

• 4 weeks later...

I have several 823's and had the exact same problem. I read the thread and gave it a try.

My pencil eraser didn't work either so I used the end of a slightly larger pen, like the end of a Varsity for example.

Well, perhaps the pencil eraser didn't work because the 823 has the big #15 nib and so the liner is bigger... the thing you stick in need to grab the sides a little. So I stuck in the probe and then... it just pops out. No threads, no glue, it just slides out. Rinse with clear water and you have a beautiful easily cleaned clear cap showing that sweet nib. I yanked all 5 out of my other 823's the same day. The pen looks 100 times better!

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

One further comment...

I noticed that without the inner liner the cap screws down about 1.5 times more turns than with. 3 1/2 full turns instead of 2. That makes the top of the nib VERY close to the locking nut under the cap liner that holds the clip on. If someone were indiscriminate and cranked down the cap, PERHAPS it could contact that big beautiful Pilot #15 nib.

I love the look of the cap without the liner but I put mine back in. I am careful but if somebody picks up the pen off the desk... I'd hate for an 823 to be ruined by a dumb mistake.

However, they now are easy to clean. :D

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

Never occurred to me to try something that easy.

Sometimes simple solutions are the most effective...

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961