Brilliant, Bright Blood Red Ink

jimhughes

Noodlers makes a valentines red ink, I you may want to give that a try... I think Swisher has it posted..

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goodwhiskers

• jimhughes

• fenriz

• donmcnel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very pleased with both my Noodler's Widowmaker and my MB Bordeaux. Both have very similar hues, depending upon the pen. I was looking for something darker than the OP, but what I ended up with seems to be what is requested.

Brian

Noodler's Nikita is a nice fresh-blood red. I find Scrip a bit raspberry pink, not a really rich red. The MB Love Letter ink looks like a gorgeous rich red, bit darker. I'll have to look this Noodler's Widowmaker up.

Hey Mister --

Got just what ya want. Come a little closer. OK. Good. Stand there. Relax.

Illegal Lipstick:

2 Parts Diamine 'Deep Magenta'

1 Part Private Reserve 'Shoreline Gold'

Gives the colour you imagine lipstick to be in Black & White movies & headshots.

The best Reds are typically mixed from Magenta & Yellow. I used PRSG for the 'smoky' quality it has over a true yellow.

Why someone wants 'Blood Red' is beyond me. I've seen enough for a life time, and that wasn't much.

A fave of mine is the MB Xmas Ink, 2007 IIRC.

Best Regards,

Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

+1 on Tiananmen, at least fresh-dried blood on the wooden floor under my desk.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 7 years later...

Sheaffer Skrip #728-8563 R

ed ink I was very impressed. I'd say Mont Blank Corn poppy red looks very nice on paper.

Thanks to all of you kind enough to bring me up to speed on inks. Currently I'm a resident of Albuquerque, NM, USA. I appreciate your help and suggestions, Jim

Pen and Pad in the Hoffmantown Shopping Center has a huge selection of inks and might have what you're looking for. We always drop in there to visit when we come to Albuquerque from San Antonio--Texas, that is, not NM!

Edited by Moruk

KWZ Thief's Red. It replaced Sheaffer Skrip red as my red of choice.

As I read this thread all I can think of is the old movie The Women and "Jungle Red" nail polish! B)

Don't have much to add for ink recommendations -- I don't really care for that shade of red (I prefer reds that are closer to the center of the spectrum, like Diamine Classic Red, or ones that lean just a tiny bit pink (De Atramentis Dante Alighieri/Ruby Red) and those are probably not what the OP is looking for.

The closest I probably have is Skrip Red (which has already been mentioned), and maybe Diamine Matador Red.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Here's a clip from the movie (which, sadly is in black and white):

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Diamine Red Dragon, Diamine Classic Red, Diamine Passion Red, Montblanc Hitchcock (maybe a bit dark for arterial blood red)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're looking for a color similar to actual dried blood I think Diamine Oxblood is hard to beat. Not a great red though IMHO.

I will second the Diamine Poppy Red or Waterman Red recommendations.

I looked for a long time, and finally settled on Diamine Poppy Red. It's a very clear red.

I think Diamine Poppy Red is a great red; one of my favorites. I don't think that I would describe it as "blood red" however. A true blood red would be a darker shade in my opinion. Maybe I'm just being too literal here.

Noodler's Widowmaker was mentioned earlier - could be a good match for you. I see that 40's lipstick/fingernail polish quality in this red. Good luck!

+1 Noodlers Widow Maker seems to fit the bill almost perfectly

I see no-one has mentioned it so far, so take a look at Robert Oster Fire Engine Red. There is at least one review of it here. It is the brightest red I have, if fresh blood is what you crave. If you are more the crusty, dried blood sort then something quite different is needed.

Have you checked her haemoglobin count for a good match?

I'll get my coat.

X