Loose Lamy 2000

Chrisxx

Hello all,

This is my first post and I am looking for opinion and advice.

I was lucky enough to get a Lamy 2000 for Christmas, my second "proper" fountain pen, and I think I have an issue with the filling "knob".

When the pen is in my work bag, carried for safety in a empty glasses case, the knob becomes loose. Winding down the first couple of threads but not engaging the piston where resistance is felt.

Bearing in mind this pen is less than a month old, do you see that this is an issue? Have you had a similar experience? Is there a fix that I can carry out (I am wondering about applying a little wax or grease to offer a little resistance to the threads) or should the pen go back to Lamy.

I suspect that part of the issue is carrying the pen loose, and I have just ordered a cheap Lamy pen case.

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrisxx

• Rabbit

• Robert_Boyd

• Robert Alan

I haven't had that problem with my Lamy 2K, nor have I had the problem with any other piston filler that I own. I can't imagine jostling the pen to the point the filler nob works its way loose. I wonder if it needs to be serviced?

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

I'm glad I noticed your post. I think I can help.

I purchased a new one about two months ago that arrived with the same problem: loose filling knob and it wouldn't stay screwed down. I compared it to another Lamy 2000 from someone else which did not behave that way.

I sent the pen back to Lamy according to their warranty instructions and in about 7 days the pen returned to me with a new filling mechanism installed and now it works exactly the way I think it should. The knob now stays screwed down tight and it has nice feeling resistance when I fill the pen. It's now one of my favorite pens and I have been using it quite a bit since I got it back! The repair tech did say that some "play" in the mechanism is normal, but apparently mine was beyond the "normal" limit because they fixed it to the point where it has no play at all, which is the way I think it should be.

If you're in the US, here's the warranty information. (For other countries, you'll have to check around the Lamy website I guess.)

http://www.lamyusa.c...wdoigoabge.html

Since it has warranty converge, I think this would be better than trying to fix it yourself or trying to live with it.

--Stephen

Edit to add: Where are my manners? WELCOME TO FPN!! :W2FPN:

Edited by Rabbit

Jeff E, Rabbit, thank you for your feedback.

Rabbit, I am interested to hear you have had a similar experience, I am in the UK and will investigate getting the pen back to Lamy! I love this pen and hope that it will return in a perfect condition!

Thanks,

Chris

It happened to me with my first 2000. I had bought it in a B&M and it was like that when I bought it, so I was offered a new pen.

Juan

Well, the latest update is that I emailed Lamy explaining the issue and asking what needed to be done. My understanding is that based in the UK, the pen should be posted back to Germany but I just wanted to check.

I was slightly underwelmed by the response that I got (see below), I guess I will just live with it for the time being, and if it still bothers me in a month or so I will chase Lamy for some action.

I am slightly disappointed as I had previously only read good things about Lamy customer service.

Best wishes,

Chris

> Subject: Antwort: Query on repairs, replacemnt, parts

> To: ********@hotmail.com

> From: ********@lamy.de

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:22:44 +0100

>

>

> Dear Mr ****.

>

> it's normal, that the piston mechanism has a certain free play. If the

> piston is working properly, that means you can fill up the pen, there's no

> reason to complain.

>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

>

> *****

>Lamy GmbH

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Betreff: Query on repairs, replacemnt, parts

> ----------------------------------------------

>

> I was lucky enough to get a Lamy 2000 for Christmas, and I think I have an

> issue with the filling "knob".

>

> When the pen is in my work bag, carried for safety in a empty glasses case,

> the knob becomes loose. Winding down the first couple of threads but not

> engaging the piston where resistance is felt.

>

> Bearing in mind this pen is less than a month old, I believe this is a

> warranty issue. Please could you advise what I should do?

> Thanks,

> Chris

I would be very displeased with that response.

I like the appearance of the Lamy 2000, and apparently a good one is a nice pen, but I have read far too many posts from people with defects -- either straight from the box or shortly thereafter.

That's interesting. My situation in the US market was slightly different. I e-mailed them and asked if I need to let them know that I'm sending the pen in for repair, and they never responded to my e-mail, so I just took a risk and mailed the pen in anyway. (with tracking/delivery confirmation) Within a week I got the pen back and the filler was replaced and working perfectly. Like I said earlier, they did tell me that some play is normal, but if mine was normal, then why did they fix it? In the end I was happy, but if I had received an e-mail from them like the one you got, I wouldn't feel good.

--Stephen

• 7 years later...

I have a makralon and dark amber version. Both have this issue, i think it might be normal. I am searching for ideas on what i can do to create resistance on the threads. I was a bit stupid with my macralon one and silicon greased the piston and threads. It not an issue for the pen but it is annoying me having that looseness.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

With Lamy it's better just to send it straight to Heidelberg via recorded delivery, with a letter stating that the piston knob is loose. You won't hear anything from them, but you'll get your pen back in a couple of weeks repaired or replaced.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I have noticed some of my Makrolon L2K fountain pens have had friction issues--like when I attempted to post the cap, it tended to slip off. With use, over time, some of my L2K pens pens seem to have acquired a bit more friction and I could successfully post the cap. However, a brand new L2K Makrolon rollerball had no friction problem (go figure). A lack of enough friction at the piston control knob and barrel end could certainly affect whether the control knob tightens properly. I don't think the piston knob threads need to be lubricated. Every once on a while, after cleaning, I put a tiny dab of vegetable-based silicone lubricant inside the ink reservoir and run the piston up and down a few times.

Another thing to consider is that many pistons do have a bit of 'play' as they engage and turn. Also, vibration can unscrew things. It can happen over time, or relatively quickly, like when one flies in a jet aircraft, for example. I remember hearing about professional photographers having their equipment checked, and having screws tightened on their cameras, after returning from long flights.

I think the combination of piston 'play' (this occurs with several pen brands, and not just the L2K), lack of friction at the barrel end, and vibration can cause the piston knob to be loose--especially if the piston control knob is not tightened down after filling. Also, I just checked my stainless steel L2K and the knob was loose if I didn't firmly tighten it down.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

I think it's worth checking whether you're tightening the piston knob firmly enough before sending it off for repairs: it seems common that if you tighten until you meet 'first resistance', the knob loosens again easily, whereas if you apply a moderate *additional* amount of torque, the knob will hold tight. A little more torque / turning pressure than I would have expected (not a *lot* more!), is my usual experience.

Well, last night i took it apart as per SBRBROWN videos and have fixed the issue. The loose start can be due to where the screw engages for moving the piston. I washed the Si grease off the threads and now she is perfect ). I have been writing over a page per day for 2 months with this pen and it has broken in and is now nice and smooth and a joy to use in general.

Now if only the dark amber material didn't oxidize due to my finger sweat / oils i would be happy with that one too. The Dark Amber 2000 is one of my most expensive pens, I recommend the makralon version over it in terms of price to pen and just in general.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd: