41 replies to this topic

#41 MYU

MYU

... Gravity is the key to it all ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 20:25

Remember, FPN is not a "democracy." It is a community that is governed by a directly appointed counsel, not democratically elected. That's just the basic facts to any website forum.

Trying to elicit a discussion with the membership (over 30,000 members mind you) would be a nightmare to facilitate. Floods of opinions. We'd never satisfy everybody and the issue would go on and on, never to be 100% settled.

As such, the FPN staff has to make decisions based on what we observe, being the governors, and what resources we have to manage the activities there. There have been Marketplace rules in place since the beginning, and have been updated from time to time. The latest incarnation is not a significant change from what was there before. We already had an image inclusion requirement, set back in August. There was no objection to them then... maybe the membership wasn't paying attention or enforcement wasn't 100%?

The main thing is that the FPN marketplace is not a business. It is a "buy/sell/trade" privilege available to the membership at no cost. It is not meant as a high volume venue for people to sell pens. Of course, a private individual may choose to sell frequently... but they must abide by the rules to play fair. The photograph requirement is there to help protect both buyer and seller. Therefore, the item being sold must be "seen".

For the few people that are unwilling to photograph their pens or don't have a convenient way to do so, they can of course try selling their pens through other venues outside FPN. This requirement is for the greater good. We will not please everyone by having it, and risk upsetting those who were not providing photos in the past. But this photo requirement will help the majority. That is what we have to cater to.

Btw, we are making some updates regarding bumps. There is a new mechanism in place to do a bump--no posting involved. :)

Edited by MYU, 30 January 2010 - 23:27.

Posted Image
[MYU's Pen Review Corner]

"The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#42 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Denizen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 18:34

I like the concept of putting all off-site sales into the market watch area. If an item is truly for sale here, rather than in the general "market", then the sale itself should occur on this board rather than off the site. If it is indeed off the site, then it's more an open market item somewhere else, and should not be grouped alongside those that can be bought right here. I also like the 30 post minimum. FPN is not the internet version of your local classifieds.

I also like the rule about the "bumps". I've seen people bump every 6 hours in some cases, which is distracting. I'll add though that these are "bumps" and not updates that have substance (for example a price reduction or stating an item has sold).

Edited by Ray-Vigo, 01 February 2010 - 18:35.

[Sponsored Content]