Dollar 717i and friends review/comparison

HenryLouis

Henry, thanks for the review! Your reviews are always very interesting and nice! My FP collection is almost all piston fillers, which I like a lot. I've ordered 2 demos from "Smeden", but they didn't arrive yet.

Those Dollar Demostrators will stay beside my M205 Clear Demo.

Is it possible draw out the nib? Do you know how? I'm talking about that, because without nib is possible to lube the stiff piston filler with pure silicone grease.

Regards,

Fabricio

These pens were sent on April 16 so even with the air traffic disruptions due to the ash cloud in mind it has taken way too long. PM me if you don't receive your pens during next week.

It is possible to just pull out the nib and feed from the Demonstrator. They are press fitted so this is quite easy if you have a firm grip and pull hard. But the piston in these pens is generally very smooth so lubrication should not be needed.

Hi, smeden! Thanks for support! Usually, ships to my country can take up to 30 days, due to delay of the customs house, besides the ash cloud.unsure.gif

Regards,

Fabricio

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabrimedeiros

• mitto

• jleeper

• bonsaiboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this review. I have two Dollars pens in the mail to me at the moment so I am looking forward to using them.

Henry, thanks for the review! Your reviews are always very interesting and nice! My FP collection is almost all piston fillers, which I like a lot. I've ordered 2 demos from "Smeden", but they didn't arrive yet.

Those Dollar Demostrators will stay beside my M205 Clear Demo.

Is it possible draw out the nib? Do you know how? I'm talking about that, because without nib is possible to lube the stiff piston filler with pure silicone grease.

Regards,

Fabricio

These pens were sent on April 16 so even with the air traffic disruptions due to the ash cloud in mind it has taken way too long. PM me if you don't receive your pens during next week.

It is possible to just pull out the nib and feed from the Demonstrator. They are press fitted so this is quite easy if you have a firm grip and pull hard. But the piston in these pens is generally very smooth so lubrication should not be needed.

Hi, smeden!

My two Dollar Demonstrators have just arrived! They are nice piston fillers!! I liked them a lot!! Many thanks,

Fabricio in São Paulo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I've got a few 717i and 717q on the way. I'm really looking forward to their arrival after Henry's review and reading all the comments here.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up with these Dollar pens in Pakistan.Back in school one would not keep just one but two filled to the brim just in case...I still have dozens of these pens with me.Kind of nostalgic feelings for the good old dsys. These pens were the cheapest yet the most reliable and good lokooing.We didn't know , hoever ,the true worth of these pens in those early days. I am planning to order ten pieces of all the Dollar models ,afresh , from my local dealer in Islamabsd after reading this brilliant review.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends , the Dollar Pens' local area salesman has deliverd to me 10 pieces each of all Dollar models just yesterday. And , you know what? It is like for free. just around $ 1.6 for ten pieces pack of each model and that too in local currency. Thanks HenryLouis and all.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 3 months later...

I bought 3 Dollar dDemonstrator pens from a Pakistan seller fpr $1.50 total.

Had ink flow problem initially. But became alright after I rinsed the nib-feed combo with kitchen vinegar.

That took the oil/grease sticking internally to the ink flow channel.

All 3 writing smoothly.

Just one question. The nib claims to be iridium tipped. But is it really so?

I ask this question because iridium and stainless steel are virtually indinguishable by colour.

Has any FPN member confirmed that the nib tip is indeed iridium ( or truly ruthenium alloy that all leading brands actually put on the tip).

If yes, how?

• 6 months later...

I really like the 717i I had, but I gave it to a friend. Mine had a super rough piston though, the roughest I have ever used

Nice review. Really good stuff. Thanks

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I admit that I haven't yet cleaned one of these (the 717i demonstrator) out, with pure water or vinegar solution or otherwise, but in the four pens that I have used of my collection of ten, all have had flow issues. After just sitting for twenty minutes or so, the feeds got over-saturated and wrote very wet. After an A4 of writing the text had gotten very dry, but after that wrote very reliably, and I have yet to experience any skipping. The ink below is Rohrer & Klingner Salix.

fpn_1443863571__p1010415.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Some of Dollar's deceased elder siblings or, better parents, from the 50s. The vintage Pakistani 'Deluxe: and the EVEREADY' piston fillers.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 6 months later...

I bought a maroon 717i years ago and never used it much because it seemed too scratchy. Recently I dug it out and applied what I've learned since about adjusting nibs and it writes well now. I just finished a letter with it. Mine appears to have a fine nib. The opaque 717i pens are currently available on eBay at $17.95 for ten in assorted colors so these are really a cheap option -- especially for a piston filler. The seller is in the US and the price includes shipping in the US. For myself, the nib is too stiff to be comfortable. Not as stiff as a Safari, but stiff enough that my hand is tired after writing a single page. That's normal for me. I don't need a flex nib but I need some give.

I admit that I haven't yet cleaned one of these (the 717i demonstrator) out, with pure water or vinegar solution or otherwise, but in the four pens that I have used of my collection of ten, all have had flow issues. After just sitting for twenty minutes or so, the feeds got over-saturated and wrote very wet. After an A4 of writing the text had gotten very dry, but after that wrote very reliably, and I have yet to experience any skipping. The ink below is Rohrer & Klingner Salix.

fpn_1443863571__p1010415.jpg

My experience is similar with a couple of the Dollar pens I have. If left sitting unused, they tend to write wet when I next write. However, the pen gets a little drier after a few paragraphs, but never dries out to the point of it being unpleasant. Some of the other Dollar pens don't do this, so I suspect it might be due to lack of QC or the simple feed the pen has. Overall, I like the pens as they write well, have a decent ink capacity and are cheap enough to use as everyday pens (i.e. not worried too much if they get lost or damaged).

Someone gave me one of the demonstrator models a while back. It's not a bad writer for being a roughly $5 US pen. I'm not normally a fan of demonstrators, but a piston fill demonstrator is kinda neat. The one issue I have is that I'm not sure how to take it apart for thorough cleaning like I can with my Noodler's pens.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Someone gave me one of the demonstrator models a while back. It's not a bad writer for being a roughly $5 US pen. I'm not normally a fan of demonstrators, but a piston fill demonstrator is kinda neat. The one issue I have is that I'm not sure how to take it apart for thorough cleaning like I can with my Noodler's pens.

If you Google "disassembly dollar 717" you should get a Youtube video by sbrebrown on how to disassemble the pen. The Dollar 717 can be taken apart, but I personally found that the piston was on tight and difficult to unscrew. It took some rubber sheet, to act as grip and protective padding, and a pair of pliers to work it off. After disassembling once, it can be easily done by hand and takes no time at all.

Great pens. We used them at the SF Pen Show ink sampling stations.

The pix is one of the 5 stations. Total of 500 ink samples.

post-105113-0-86237300-1462248930_thumb.jpg

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you Google "disassembly dollar 717" you should get a Youtube video by sbrebrown on how to disassemble the pen. The Dollar 717 can be taken apart, but I personally found that the piston was on tight and difficult to unscrew. It took some rubber sheet, to act as grip and protective padding, and a pair of pliers to work it off. After disassembling once, it can be easily done by hand and takes no time at all.

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the video (I've seen other ones by him).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love these pens: mine had flow problems, it started writing good and then it would become drier and drier. Nothing worked, I also tried to disassemble the nib and feed (bending the nib) to check if it had any residue in it, but it was good.

Anyone ever managed to see the FP-100, so called luxury pen?