Parker 25 Variations

gvl

You're doing fine at $9 a piece :thumbup:

And please, please, pretty please, PM me if there is a "made in aus" P25 among your finds! There are P25 black version from australia but I just wonder if there are stainless steel made in australia as well...

Regards, Shaughn

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaughn

• enitsirhc

• ray501

• heretic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're doing fine at $9 a piece :thumbup:

And please, please, pretty please, PM me if there is a "made in aus" P25 among your finds! There are P25 black version from australia but I just wonder if there are stainless steel made in australia as well...

Regards, Shaughn

hi Shaugn! will do. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have a SS P45 stamped on the back of the cap 'Made in England' with the Parker logo stamped above it and no Date marks, plastic parts are Black box is brown plastic with clear lid, any idea of how I can date it? All the Best Paul

From my own collection I can confirm that the vent hole nib (Mk I) has been used in the first year ot two of production. Also, in advertisements later than 1976-77 no Mk I nibs appear.

All other nibs are Mk II, including the italic nibs.

As for the flat/dimpled tops, I am not sure. I tend to agree that the flat top is first made, the dimpled one being Mk II, as all of my orange trims are flat topped.

One of my sources on parker info copied from a Parker manual/catalogue the following:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz137/UncleShaughn/prodP25.jpg

Remark: On the roller ball there are two varieties, see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107757-help-for-parker-25-spare-parts/

Quoting from there:

There are the FP, the ballpoint and the pencil, then there are the fibre tip with a small metal band around the shell and the roller ball/floating ball with a broad metal band on the shell. That's five. The fibre tip will not take roller ball fillings.

BUT.

There is also a hybrid form that takes both fibre tip and roller ball and I've found them in blue, green and black. I suppose the threads of these shells were in the end too vulnerable and therefore replaced by a somewhat sturdier design. The fibre tip refill was taken out of production, as I heard because it dried out too soon.

Anyhow, this goes for stainless steel and colour trim, not for matte black and matte white pens as these were manufactured after the fibre tip shells and the hybrids disappeared. Nevertheless, because retailers might have changed and replaced parts, you can probably expect to find all combinations 'in the wild'.

Another thing that I noticed is that the early engraving on the cap is very rough and it seems to be that it gets finer and finer through the years.

The first Parker that I bought for myself was a P25 triple set (FP/FT/BP) - I still have the original Fountain pen and I have used it for over 30 years. I always took it somewhat for granted but I now realise it was very much an under-rated pen (I now collect P45s as well). My first 25 FP had a flat top and the futuristic lettering on the plastic box. I have now acquired several more P25s, a few Mk2s with the dimpled tops and also black and a green sectioned SS type.

I have recently acquired a first year FP with the 'Weep'/vent hole in the nib and I have noticed another variation. Both this early FP and it's partner fibre tip have a ss screw thread insert inside the barrel. My 'original' flat top FP in comparison also has a ss screw thread whereas all my later P25s have a BRASS screw thread. So I reckon Parker changed the manufacturing process, possibly when they went to the Mk 2 dimple top. Can anyone else comment on this?

Incidentally, I remember the green/black sections being offered as color options later on when on sale in the shops. The all white, blue banded versions I seem to remember was a special limited run offer in conjunction with a company sponsorship, possibly an airline or similar. I think it was on sale later than the all black coated version

Edited by ray501

WOW Ray, now that is a sharp observation! :clap1:

You made me run through my stock and yes indeed, I can confirm your observation. My red trim FP has a SS thread and so do my red trim fibre tips. I think we can safely add this piece of information to the P25 body of knowledge. Thanks for sharing that info!

On the matte white version, a few posts hereabove you'll find a list of production years confirming white came after black, and the green trimmed are unknown. It is possible they came to replace the orange trim, but that is just my guess. They begin to appear in the leaflets quite early, so that could match.

I'm not aware of any sponsorship re the white P25 line, so any info on that matter is very welcome too!

Regards,

Shaughn

Edited by Shaughn

WOW Ray, now that is a sharp observation! :clap1:

You made me run through my stock and yes indeed, I can confirm your observation. My red trim FP has a SS thread and so do my red trim fibre tips. I think we can safely add this piece of information to the P25 body of knowledge. Thanks for sharing that info!

On the matte white version, a few posts hereabove you'll find a list of production years confirming white came after black, and the green trimmed are unknown. It is possible they came to replace the orange trim, but that is just my guess. They begin to appear in the leaflets quite early, so that could match.

I'm not aware of any sponsorship re the white P25 line, so any info on that matter is very welcome too!

Regards,

Shaughn

Hi Shaughn

I originally thought that the ss insert was only confined to the 'vent-holed' P25s but as I stated my own later P25 has an ss insert. So I suspect the test is that the early flat-top are ss and the dimple tops are brass, UNLESS somebody out there has a flat-top with a brass insert! Certainly, my early flat-top has no date coding - perhaps the lettering switch for P25s (Made in England, and then to UK) may be a pointer too. A collector with a lot of early P25s could possibly pin-point all the types, and therefore an approximate time-line.

Regarding the white coated P25, I am pretty sure that at the time of launch there was a tie-up of some kind - hence the reason for the BLUE band on the white coating - this was a corporate promotional link. Must be the ageing process as I can't remember the company involved, but hopefully I will have a 'Eureka' moment when my memory works again!

This thread gives me nostalgia...I will take the time to read it all. Parker 25 was my first ever fountain pen. I got it when I was in elementary school in Italy, circa late seventies. It never faultered, never let me down. It has been my regular user for more than 20 years, it was with me in every test, every homework, every note I ever took. It shows the wear and tear, maybe a bit of abuse, but it still writes smoothly. Now that I can afford higher end pens, it stands a bit neglected, but I bet no one of my "best" pens could do all that my P25 did for over 20 years! No other pen could take all my P25 took! My P25 still stands ready for a call to duty, ready to do what it does best :thumbup: And it is thanks to my P25 that I am into fountain pens, oh P25, I owe it all to you!

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

After my earlier posting, I went back to examine my P25 'collection' - I have managed to pick up a few of late, and to my surprise in trying to acquire some variety I actually now have a dozen FPs, with a few of each of other types. I don't have a Black coated or white coated model as yet. Whilst I have a green and a black example I don't have a red example, probably the rarest.

I think that there is a minor variant of the standard nib as well - the later pens (after 1995) seem to have a standard mk II nib that is marked/stamped with the size (M). All the early nibs seem to be plain and unmarked.

Large Lettering of the Parker stamp seems to be associated with 'england and stopped with the switch to the 'UK' stamping. All of my 'small' lettering/UK models are date stamped and are post 1988.

My flat top examples are all early models, undated with Large letters/england stamping. Most of my dimple topped examples are dated and after 1980, the earliest being a green example with large lettering and dated with Ql. The only oddity is my single black version that has a dimple tassie with large lettering and is undated.

With a dozen or so examples I think that I can put together a timeline order. So I think that the full extent of changes, in order, is as folows:

AS LAUNCHED: Vent hole nib, - Flat top, Made in England, SS barrel insert, Large lettering (first year only)

FIRST CHANGE: MK II nib, - Flat top, Made in England, SS barrel insert, Large lettering (year 2 +)

SECOND CHANGE: Brass Barrel Insert, - Mk II nib, Flat top, Made in England, Large lettering (1978+ ?)

THIRD CHANGE: Dimpled top, - Brass Barrel Insert ,Mk II nib, Made in England, Large lettering (1979+)

FOURTH CHANGE: Date Code, - Dimpled top, Brass Barrel Insert ,Mk II nib, Made in England, Large lettering (1980)

FIFTH CHANGE: Made in UK, Small lettering, - Date code, Dimpled top,Mk II nib, Brass Barel insert (1990+ ?)

LAST CHANGE MOST RECENT: Mk II nib stamped, - Made in UK, Small lettering, Date code, Dimpled top, Brass Barel insert (1996+)

It would be interesting if anybody can comment on these changes with some further dating.

After my earlier posting, I went back to examine my P25 'collection' - I have managed to pick up a few of late, and to my surprise in trying to acquire some variety I actually now have a dozen FPs, with a few of each of other types.

I'm envious. :notworthy1:

I only have 7 so far.

1 blue

6 blacks

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2792/12032010110.jpg

After my earlier posting, I went back to examine my P25 'collection' - I have managed to pick up a few of late, and to my surprise in trying to acquire some variety I actually now have a dozen FPs, with a few of each of other types.

I'm envious. :notworthy1:

I only have 7 so far.

1 blue

6 blacks

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2792/12032010110.jpg

Now I am envious, too, as in the UK the BLUE variety was the standard and comes up most often as used examples. Black is uncommon, and green fairly rare. I am beginning to think that the diferent finishes were marketed in countries worldwide, so that black and green were more often available outside the UK.

Now I am envious, too, as in the UK the BLUE variety was the standard and comes up most often as used examples. Black is uncommon, and green fairly rare. I am beginning to think that the diferent finishes were marketed in countries worldwide, so that black and green were more often available outside the UK.

oh I see. because I am here in Manila and black Parker 25 has been a common sight, I assumed the same in other parts of the world.

:embarrassed_smile:

one thing that I like about my Parker 25 pens, they all have broad nibs. :happyberet:

my 8th and 9th Parker 25 - both with broad nibs, black and 9 USD each

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4105/12082010120.jpg

:happyberet:

by the way, the same store where I get my Parker 25 from is selling a gold-plated Parker 75 for 80 USD - is that a good price?

Edited by enitsirhc

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 10th and 11th Parker 25 fountain pens today! :happyberet:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8206/12202010285.jpg

when will this madness end?

:cloud9:

I got my 10th and 11th Parker 25 fountain pens today! :happyberet:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8206/12202010285.jpg

when will this madness end?

:cloud9:

The point about the rarity of the black variety in the UK (where the 25 was made) has already been made, it's taken me a long time to get hold of one. Another point is that the Broad Nib is also rare, as most pens sold had the medium nib fitted as standard (Fine nibs are rare too, but are easier to get than the broad nib).

Are your pens marked 'B' on the nib? I always felt that the P25 nib in its medium state was a relatively 'fine' writer, a characteristic shared by the stainless steel nibs on the P45.

Perhaps colour variations and standard nib sizes or availability vary across the world with country by country prefences, and Parker follow the market preferences.

Are your pens marked 'B' on the nib?

yes, they all have that B mark on their nibs.

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/6388/12232010829.jpg

Cool!

Do these P25s with B marking (on the feed actually)have a date code? If so, what is the date code?

Marked feeds are quite rare and I have only a few of which I am not sure about the barrel/cap combination being original.

Cool!

Do these P25s with B marking (on the feed actually)have a date code? If so, what is the date code?

Marked feeds are quite rare and I have only a few of which I am not sure about the barrel/cap combination being original.

9 pens have IQ as their date code (Made in UK)

1 has IU (Made in UK)

1 has no date code whatsoever, with slightly bigger Parker lettering (Made in England)

From left to right: Italic nib, B - broad nib, M - medium nib and F - Fine nib.

The feed of the italic nib is not marked, the others are; B, M and F respectively. There seems to be a XF nib and a broad italic nib but as far as yet I haven't found them 'in the wild'.

It is a scan, not a photograph which is why the lighting is poor, but it gives a clear picture on the different nib widths.

And thanks, enitsirhc, for the codes, mine have PI (F), IIE (M) italic and broad have no date codes.

Maybe we can add some more to the knowledgebase...

Edited by Shaughn