Hero 616 review

Dillo

Hi,

First of all, my first typed review in a long time. I wrote several including one on the Core.

This pen is a very faithful clone, or reproduction of the Parker "51" and has everything quite accurately reproduced.

The nib of this pen is a smooth, stiff, fine point. Not nearly as smooth as the Core, but quite smooth nonetheless. It is hooded and has a collector just like the original "51" does. The whole nib assembly is strikingly similar to the Parker "51" Aerometric nib assembly.

Like most Chinese pens, this one has a press bar filling system. As far as I know, my three 616 pens are the only 616s on this planet with an aerometric filling system. (Yes, I modified them) The filler holds a lot of ink and you can check your ink level by just looking at the clutch ring which is actually a very convenient inkview window.

The fit and finish of this pen is not bad at all considering the fact that I have seen worse pens. The cap actually has that five-fingered "51" clutch and the inner cap is very robust. Since the hood seals well around the inner cap, dryout should not be much of a concern. Neither should the inner cap crack easily. :) The clip is secured by a chrome jewel to the inner cap. Unlike the Hero 100, the cap is actually made of stainless steel and has a pattern of tight lines, followed by a space of polished metal; again, the pattern stamping is not bad. Under the hood, the collector is neat and does not look cheap and neither does the feed. My only gripes are that not all of the pens (I had ten, so there!) have a very smooth sliding clutch and clutch ring action.

Proportionately, this pens is faithful to the proportions of the "51" and can pass as one. I got my ten 616s from China and after showing everyone the quality of the pen, everyone I showed them to bought them. Overall, I give this pen 4 out of 5 nibs. Honestly now this is a VERY unbiased review. I used to see these things and say, "So what???!!" After looking at these, taking them apart and putting them through my hands for a day, it has changed my perception of Chinese pens. For once, these are my favourite Chinese pens.

For the record, right now I have:

Hero 100 brushed chrome

Hero 616 Maroon

Hero 616 Forest Green

Hero 616 Coffee black (Coffee is not really black--a bit brown)

Hero Dux--the one that looks like a vector

Student pen

Pink purse pen

Star pen

Hero 324 (I think I got the number right)

Speeno

Jin Hao 1013

Guanleming 706

Youth Parker Slimfold clone (Really cheap fit and finish, but writes smooth as butter without adjustment.)

This one of my collections--Chinese pens. All are great writers. Honestly now, the 616 pens have the best fit and finish save the Star pen (The Star pen is very clean, fit and finish wise).

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• Sailor Kenshin

• Kabe

• Mech-for-i

Nice review Dillon. Any chance of some pics, perhaps even side-by-side a real "51"? Also, what's the price point on these?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi,

One final word:

Hero has apparently improved the quality of their products time after time, so these are brand new stock.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Nice review Dillon. Any chance of some pics, perhaps even side-by-side a real "51"? Also, what's the price point on these?

Hi,

$10 was how much I would sell them on the Marketplace including priority mail shipment.

I sold most of my stock for $2 to my family. Everyone got one except for dad and all are happy.

Dillon

Dillon

• 1 year later...
As far as I know, my three 616 pens are the only 616s on this planet with an aerometric filling system. (Yes, I modified them)

How'd you modify the pens? I'm going on vacation to Hong Kong and am planning to buy myself some 616s.

Pens in Rotation:

Parker 51 Aerometric, somewhere between XF and F

Parker 45 Flighter, F nib

Sheaffer Agio, F nib

Sheaffer Snorkel, M5 nib

Sailor Lecoule, F nib

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I have got three 616s, but not smoother than hero 100!Because I live in Shanghai, I used to be the Hero Pen factory many times!Nowdays, the old pens which I like are less and less!

• 1 year later...

Dear Dillo: first excuse my school english and thanks for your time. My questions is simple: can I use the Hero 616 nibs for replacement in a Parker 51? Thanks again

Thanks Dillon for the review. As a result, I just ordered a Hero 616 from a contact in Hong Kong to see for myself.

Any experience with the Hero 330 or 551? Looking for a jumbo Hero that is up to 616 standards.

Edited by cuza

Great review. The 616 has become one of my favorite pens: smooth nib, that neat clutch ring, perfect size and weight for me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 8 months later...

I messed up. I punctured a hole in the sac, and it´s a mess. How can I replace the filling system for c/c?

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I messed up. I punctured a hole in the sac, and it´s a mess. How can I replace the filling system for c/c?

Are you sure its worth the work bearing in mind the price of the pen?

The nib, my friend, the nib.

Given the fact that many here say that Hero´s nibs are luck of the draw in their adequacy, I rather do my best to save my one.

Plus, international shopping of pens is bothersome

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

The nib, my friend, the nib.

Given the fact that many here say that Hero´s nibs are luck of the draw in their adequacy, I rather do my best to save my one.

Plus, international shopping of pens is bothersome

Not sure how easy this is to perform but possibly a nib swap with a donor 616?

I have a handful of 616s bought for giveaways if you are stuck.

I'm pleased with the way my 616 handles, but I'm a bit disappointed that the clutch ring has scuffed the barrel after only a couple of months' use, and that not every day. A bit of an ugly duckling, all things considered, but reliable.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

I still keep one inked every day---with a mixed burgundy to match the barrel color.

(Easier on the eyes for editing than red).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I bought a box of these at less than 50 cents each from an eBay seller some time ago. Ended up giving all of them - bar one - away to others trying to encourage fountain pen use. They are a great basic pen.

But if you want to replace your old favourite Parker 51 then I suggest you go for a Hero 331 or 332 which are on a par with Parker quality wise and I think they could even write a little better. The cost will be a fraction of the price of a real 51.

Thanks for a nice review.

I also have a hero 616, good writer. But the weight compare to my parker 51. Its a little on the

light side.

Is the hero 331 weight closer to the parker 51 I wonder ?

Is the hero 331 weight closer to the parker 51 I wonder ?

David, I don't have any precision scales but the 332 is a tad heavier than the 331 which is heavier than the 616. However, my Parker Super 21 (similar to 51) is still heavier than the 332.

• 2 years later...

Got one of an eBay UK seller for £3 inc p&p. I've not used a P51 so can't compare but as a pen in its own right it looks business like has a nice weight and length when posted and is fairly smooth although I did work on the nib a bit. It needs filling a lot but its great as fine nib pen to keep on my desk at work and keep more expensive pens for meetings, letters, etc. it also has quenched my interest so I won't be forking out for a real p51.

With thanks

J. B. Morley

• 2 years later...