Greetings from Big Spring Spring, Texas

JLiggett

I just signed up on this board, and have barely started exploring it. I have been accumulating (I can't really say collecting as there is very little in the way of a plan or a focus), pens fairly regularly for about 8 years now.

My day job is as an Episcopal Priest in Big Spring. I also teach a couple of Philosophy classes at the local community college. I have been using fountain pens, off and on, for over 40 years and just like the darned things. Which is sort of a shame, since most of my writing is done on a keyboard. My other hobby is learning more about WordPerfect, so I guess I am sort of a nitch market holdout.

I accumule both modern and vintage pens, nothing really high-end, but I have passed the Esterbrook and Harley Davidson stage. It's been a while since I bought a pen, and I am starting to look around for something I don't have that is sort of interesting (my only real accumulating criterion). It's been a year since I've been to a show (Boston, 05) and I hope I can make another in a year or so. (A son in college limits my options.)

I probably won't be terribley active here, but it's great to have found you all, and I look forward to learning stuff.

Jim Liggett

Jim Liggett

Don't ever get mad at somebody who know more'n you do. It ain't their fault.

From "Don't Squat With Yer Spurs On"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• Ruaidhri

• robertaia

• BMWRT

Jim -

As a Word Perfect utilizing priest, you must indeed be a market of one!

If you're looking for interesting, why not consider a Sheaffer Snorkel with a "cylindrical" nib? They're arguably the most interesting pens ever made - the most advanced, unique and complex filler system, combined with a unique nib design - write superbly, and don't have to cost much. (Just allow a few extra bucks for servicing when you buy the pen - most people skip it.)

Besides pen shows, you can get them quite easily on ebay.

- Jonathan

Jim,

Welcome to FPN. I'm a WordPerfect die-hard - in spite of my three daughters' opining that I should have switched to Microsoft Word long ago.

I play the piano at a tiny Methodist Church two Sundays a month and attend a tiny Episcopal Church the other two Sundays.

You'll learn lots about fountain pens, paper, ink, etc. on FPN. Enjoy!

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

My first go at organized religion was with the Episcopal Church many years ago. I've been on a long sabatical from all religion for years. I do praise the fountain pen and what a person can do with one. If you can afford the gas there is going to be a pen show in Dallas on Sept. 29-30. I realize Big Spring is several hours out west. Oh, I almost forgot, welcome here to FPN.

Edited by mike1

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hello and welcome to FPN! I'm a Baptist pastor who likes FPs and uses WordPerfect also (in fact, I really don't like it when I have to use MS Word - have both on my laptop - and am convinced WP is far superior). Glad you're here and hope to see you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Welcome to the board.

i like you have to utilize the keyboard way too frequently for my liking.

My get around is journaling, only one, but it gives me the opportunity to write.

Also I posted on the snail mail thread and found some wonderful people to write to

Jim,

Welcome.

If you haven't a plan you can borrow mine - if it has a nib I want it.

BTW that's only a loan of the plan, I'll probably need it back next week :D

I'm a bog standard Catholic FWIW, and not the best either. Great on the theory but fall down a bit on the practice. I hang onto the thought that the Boss will cut me a little slack :unsure:

If you haven't already got one try a Parker "51" (not the LE). Not TOO expensive and generally regarded as the finest pen ever. Danger here is that they are highly addictive.

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Another Texan!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard.

If you can make the Dallas Show it's September 29 (1 to 8) and Saturday 30 (9 to 5). Check it aout at dallaspenshow.com

Robert