Legible handwriting....

Breaking100

was all I wanted. Just to improve a bit. So I got a Schaeffer Calligraphy set from the local grocery store. That led to a Pilot Vpen, which in turn took me to the plastic Parker Reflex. Lamy Safari directed me to a Vista, and now of course the 2000. A gift from my father was a rollerball Conklin Glider - so off to the Fountain pen hospital for a cheap Glider Fountain. While I was there, I might as well check out the 18k nib on the sonnet. So of course my trip to the Show up in Toronto landed me with a Teal Aerometric 51.

I need help. I'm living in Toronto and have become pretty familiar with the wonderful people at Laywines. New York is my former home, with family that actually live blocks from FPH. Have I started something that I can end?

Its getting bad.... And you people aren't helping, with all of your wonderful experiences and descriptions reviews and advice.

Should I start looking at the Parker 100?

Thanks for all of the great posts

Edited by Breaking100

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breaking100

• FLZapped

• meanwhile

• mike1

Welcome to FPN. It'll only get worse so enjoy. Next it'll be inks. You've to have ink for those pens you know. Also don't forget something to write on as well. Pens, ink and paper, what more could a person want?

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Should I start looking at the Parker 100?

By all means!

It is larger both in length and girth than most parkers and much heavier. But it is well balanced and writes really nice!

-Bruce

(..oh wait, sorry, no, don't look, just practice your handwriting! :roflmho: )

You could start looking at more vintage pens instead of that 100. Buying good ones on ebay is surprising easy (just ask for tips) and you could have several for the price of that 100. Plus, unlike the 100, their value doesn't nose dive when you take them out of the store.

Do some rearch using a search engine if you're interested. Good starter pens (besides the 51) are the Sheaffer Balance (the lever fill variant), Esterbrooks, Parker Vacumatics, Parker 75s, and Targas.

- Jonathan

Thanks for the encouragement:

Mike1 - I have to admit, it was a slippery slope, starting with GTD then Moleskine. And now full blown Rhodia and Miquelrius. Still have yet to try Clairefontaine. And the Private Reserves are multiplying like rabbits. Its like they have a mind of their own.

FLZapped - The 100 does look nice, maybe after saving for a bit I can get a used one somewhere. But you're right, I'll be practicing this weekend up in "cottage country" with no power.

Meanwhile - I don't think I'll be able to get around the "51" craze. But I will have to try those others also.

The next step will be getting Binderized. I watched him work for a bit at the Toronto Show and was amazed. I think he and Zorn (I think) were the main attractions. But it was my first show, and I still have so much to learn.

Can anyone recommend any books or techniques for better handwriting?

I don't think I'll be able to get around the "51" craze.

Actually, the 100 is more of a 45 dressed up to look like a 51 - just like the current "51" Special Edition. It's still a very good pen, by all accounts, but it isn't really the larger 51 that it looks like. (This may or may not make a difference to you - it puts some people off and doesn't bother others at all!)

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

I don't think I'll be able to get around the "51" craze.

Actually, the 100 is more of a 45 dressed up to look like a 51 - just like the current "51" Special Edition. It's still a very good pen, by all accounts, but it isn't really the larger 51 that it looks like. (This may or may not make a difference to you - it puts some people off and doesn't bother others at all!)

Huh? It's nothing at all like a 45.

The cap of the 100 is what increases it's size compared to a 51. Uncapped, the two are identical in length, but the 100 is a bit tiny bit thicker and is heavier, probably because the barrel is metal.

-Bruce

Breaking, now that you are here, you are essentially doomed. Might as well relax and enjoy it!

Signed,

Currently saving for a $500 $% fountain pen.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Sonia hit the nail on head!

Welcome aboard!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Yup... the road to hell really is littered with fountain pens and ink bottles. It only gets worse. Far, far worse.

It's fun to go the vintage route. There is a perverse kind of pleasure you don't get with anything else, when you write with an 80-year old fountain pen that cost $20. ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Dear Breaking,

Welcome to FPN. Fountain pens are a relatively harmless addiction. Don't resist. Just enjoy! :P

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Hi, funny how those things multiply. Mine has multiplied into several different brands, but I'd like to suggest you try something different, a Namiki Vanishing Point. I have several; they are my everyday pen, and an excellent write. A good website is riverapens.com Good luck :)

Thanks so much for the great welcome. You guys help to make this addiction seem normal.

I'll check out the Vanishing point Elena.

Thanks for the welcome Judybug, Pthalo and Southpaw.

I'm interested in what pen you're saving for Sonia Simone.