Right of left hand writer

Cloud

Do you write with your left or your right hand?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you write with your left or your right hand?

• Right
    • Left

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloud

• Bill

• Dr.Grace

• kissing

I am right-handed. However, lately I've been practicing writing with my left hand. A friend of mine read a book that recommended writing with the hand you don't normally write with as a way of keeping your brain exercised.

I was surprised to find that I can write legibly with my left hand. I have to write very slowly though. Maybe I'll speed up with practice. I've been playing the piano since I was a child so maybe using the left on the piano carries over a little to writing?

Sorry for rambling. You just wanted to know what hand I write with.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I am right-handed. However, lately I've been practicing writing with my left hand. A friend of mine read a book that recommended writing with the hand you don't normally write with as a way of keeping your brain exercised.

I was surprised to find that I can write legibly with my left hand. I have to write very slowly though. Maybe I'll speed up with practice. I've been playing the piano since I was a child so maybe using the left on the piano carries over a little to writing?

Sorry for rambling. You just wanted to know what hand I write with.

Judybug

One of my "projects" is to learn how to write backwards with my left hand. The muscular motions are the exact same as writing forwards with the right hand. I just wrote out the alphabet this way and it looks just like a Kindergartener's. For some reason, I think of this as fun.

Anyway, this is a very interesting question and I'll be following the poll results. Okay, gotta go, it's nap time. Then we get cookies and milk.

Doug

A friend of mine read a book that recommended writing with the hand you don't normally write with as a way of keeping your brain exercised.

From what I understand, having people write with their nondominant hand is a standard tool in psychotherapy for regressing to childhood issues. Apparently it bypasses some of the restraints imposed during adult development.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I am right-handed. However, lately I've been practicing writing with my left hand...

I write and throw left handed, otherwise am relatively ambidexterous. After all, I grew up in a world of hand tools, chainsaws, telephones, guns, and even gas pumps designed for righties. My one concession and amusement is a pair of lefty scissors that totally befuddles most right handers.

Recently, I've been trying to write (not very well) with the right hand with stub and italic nibs because the shape of the letters is so much more interesting. It's actually quite legible if I go verrrry slooooowly.

Bill

I was actually born left-handed...

but my parents trained me to write with my right hand as I grew up, so today I'm a right-hand writer. My handwriting used to be very messy until I entered the fountain pen world. My handwriting style dramatically improved by using them. :)

I'm a bit weird...though I write with my right hand, I do somethings with my left, while others with my right :blink:

(eg: I play tennis left-handed, but do ten-pin bowling with my right hand...etc...:unsure:) It's not really "ambidextrous", because the things that my right hand is good at, my left hand can't do...and the things that im good at with my left hand, my right hand cant do

I'm lefthanded for writing, but for anything else I'll use my right hand. When I started school I used to happily swap from one hand to the other when writing until the day the teacher shouted at me for doing that and told me to keep my pencil in the hand I was using. She apparently scared me so much that I never dared to use my right hand for writing after that.

Im a total lefty, I cant do much at all with my right hand I get very uncoordinated, but then with my left hand I look very awkward doing certain things like cutting and ironing :lol:

Dawn

Write with the left hand, but do most manual things with my right. Am trying to write with write hand as kind of exercise.

I Feel SO GOOD, I'm Gonna Break Somebody's Heart Tonight

My left hand is entirely hopeless. I put my rings and watch on it, and that's about all it's good for.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I'm also a weird one. When I was young both right and left hand where illegible. At thyat age I heard that lefty used to be punished. I decided that wasn't cool. Since I had a choice i decided to right with my left. Always been such a black sheep. Most of the rest I do with my right.

cheers

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

The 11% figure is I believe correct for the general population. However, some professions have a higher than typical proportion of left-handers. It's hard to predict how FP forum users might fare...

Cheers.

I was in the middle of a discussion with a friend of mine, and the subject got to da vinci somehow- apparently he wrote two different sentences with both hands at the same time, because he was ambidextrious! As Judybug was saying, I think that piano is somehow related to that particular skill. You're reading two "sentences" at the same time and using both hands to play separate melodies.

But anyhow, I'm a regular righty. It's seriously freaky to see my lefty writing! However my brother and grandfather are lefties, and my mom and dad are both ambidextrious. Ah well, I'm nothing like my family anyway. :P

But what is the difference between literature and journalism?

...Journalism is unreadable and literature is not read. That is all. ~Oscar Wilde

My mom is right-handed, and my dad is left-handed. Apparently, I was ambidextrous in kindergarten. My mom was told she had to get me to choose one. Don't know why, but I chose left.

Vanessa

These are very interesting results, yet! more then 1/4 fountain pen users are lefty!

I just hope that right hander vote... I'm wondering if there will be a bias. I also found that different user tend to spend more time in particular forum. I have been noticing small subcommunities within the network.

Everybody vote!

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

I'm generally a Southpaw, however I have mixed status. I write, eat, and do all fine motor requirements with my left. However, coarse motor skills; throw, bat, bowl, wtc is all right handed. I'll also shoot (bow and gun) left handed as I am left-eye dominant.

"Ambi-Dextrous Maladroit" Equally spastic, either hand :roflmho:

Larry Korn

Virginia Beach, VA

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein, "The roads Must Roll"

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'm a wierd one. I generally write with my right hand; I can write legibly with my left, but it's a bit slow. Everything else is done with either hand, though I usually hold silverware with my left hand. I can shoot with either, but I do better with a handgun in my left and a rifle in my right. I can bowl with either hand, and often switch back and forth several times throughout a game, though I'm not very good with either hand. Baseball, and most other sports, are the same.

Tom

A pen is a good deal like a rifle; much depends on the man behind it. Paraphrased from John Philip Souza