Lamy Dialog 3 Problems

genls

Does anyone else have the following problems with their Dialog 3?

- NIB DRYOUT: after I close my pen I find that the nib will dry out after a few min. When I try to use the pen after half an hour, I find that it takes a few strokes to get the pen going again. I am sure that the cap is closed...at least it looks like it is. Has anyone found a good solution for this? I don't know how common this is.

- CAP OPENING PROBLEMS: the cap on my pen sometimes doesn't fully open when I twist open my pen, and the nib has trouble coming out. The underside of my nib section is in fact dented, I guess from pressing against the cap as it was trying to come out. No effect on ink delivery I think, but it does suck to know that my >$200 pen is already deformed/damaged after practically no use.

I've found this pen unsatisfying to say the least. The form factor and weight work for me but if the cap doesn't open smoothly and if the nib constantly dries out then this is a BAD pen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by genls

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kwinana

• buffalowings

• genls

• OTDoc

this is not how it should be. contact lamy and tell them your problems. they will almost surely replace it if you havent had it for too long

yes, you don't deserve these problems from a $200 pen, contact lamy as soon as you can

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Or rather, it just shows that no manufacturer is free from problems :)

Return the pen, this is surely not normal. It looks like a problem with the cap mechanism...

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Just shows you that German quality has deteriorated, as is the cases with Mercedes cars, etc. Such overrated junk.

you can't say that, well, maybe you can, but most companies have in a way, churning out more in less time, it is bound to happen

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I was in a pen shop on Saturday as I wanted to try one of these and the assistant said that Lamy had stopped supplying due to problems with the opening mechanism. Is this true or was he saying this as he had none in stock??

I was in a pen shop on Saturday as I wanted to try one of these and the assistant said that Lamy had stopped supplying due to problems with the opening mechanism. Is this true or was he saying this as he had none in stock??

this is some big news, could anybody confirm this?

Contact Lamy, as soon as possible..

If there is an issue, or it's just your pen, expect Lamy to rectify.

Keep us posted on their response.

yup will do

i've sent my pen to them; will see what happens

i wouldn't be surprised if there are design issues and systemic quality problems. this pen just doesn't seem that solid. i feel that the opening mechanism is too vulnerable to dust (the vanishing point seems more resistant).

i don't really know what the selling point of this pen is. it isn't more technologically advanced than the vanishing point (i had hoped that the retracting clip would be a major innovation, but the clip doesn't retract that much!) overall it's just a bigger, bulkier version of the vanishing point that seems less reliable. so far, i regret purchasing this pen.

if any other dialog 3 owners want to pitch in with their words of support or condescension please do so.

I knew this would come, and I anticipate more messages like this one. This pen is just not very solidly built. There are bound to be QC issues. The good thing is that Lamy has great CS and will take care of any issues that arise. Apart from the headache of sending the pen back for repairs everything should be fine.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Its really too bad I almost brought one after Christmas but I just couldn't warm up to the shape. I love my VP's and any retractable FP.

I'm sure Lamy will happily repair or replace but it makes me wonder if this is just the odd one or is there an issue with the design. If you've contacted Lamy and are in the process of sending it to them for a repair I for one would love to know the outcome. Good Luck.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

All is revealed. I have exactly the same issues with mine (acquired in a trade). Off to Lamy I presume...

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

• 4 weeks later...

Was seriously considering this since I love the Lamy 2000 (and the brand in general).

However, new implementations have me on guard and I am awaiting a Decimo instead to try...

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I'm not having any problems with mine. I'm using Lamy cartridges exclusively and find that they are much easier to use and hold more ink. Occasionally, I have to scribble a letter or two...if the pen hasn't been used in a few days...but this seems common to many pens. I love the look and weight of this pen and the nib is wonderful.

I'm not defending Lamy and I know that they will fix any issues that you or perhaps I...in the future might have. :glare:

But for now, it's been in my rotation since I bought it a few months ago.

Kind regards,

Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Dialog 3 today after comparing it to the Pilot VP, and concluded the Lamy has a better smoother writing nib (f). i love the idea of not having the inconvenience of the cap. However, I am disappointed with the play in the nib as one writes. The whole nib unit seems to move in its section and feels a little like a ballpen refill that moves around in the barrel as one writes. additionally when unscrewing the nib section to refill the ink, I noticed a dent in the inner nib metal screw in section just below the nib. Not sure if these are 'normal' for this pen. Has anyone experienced similar issues?

I have had the exact same problems. The dent is apparently normal and helps the mechanism grab the nib section. The dry out seems to be a common problem too. My nib was also out of alignment with the rest of the pen when it came out of the body. I sent mine off to filofax and they informed me that these are common problems that they are trying to fix. They are shipping D3s back to Germany for repair and noted that Lamy is way behind on these in terms of repair and manufacture. Mine has been gone for about 4 weeks now. I am hoping that they will just replace it or the defective parts with a redesign that fixes the problems. I love the pen and love the way the Lamy gold nibs write so I don't mind the wait but do hope they fix the dry out problem.

Long live the Empire!

I have had the exact same problems. The dent is apparently normal and helps the mechanism grab the nib section. The dry out seems to be a common problem too. My nib was also out of alignment with the rest of the pen when it came out of the body. I sent mine off to filofax and they informed me that these are common problems that they are trying to fix. They are shipping D3s back to Germany for repair and noted that Lamy is way behind on these in terms of repair and manufacture. Mine has been gone for about 4 weeks now. I am hoping that they will just replace it or the defective parts with a redesign that fixes the problems. I love the pen and love the way the Lamy gold nibs write so I don't mind the wait but do hope they fix the dry out problem.

I don't seem to have a dry out problem, just the slight looseness of the whole nib section within the main grip section as one writes. Did you have the same issue?

It seems like these pens should have spent a bit more time in the R&D phase. These seem like simple issues that should have/could have been fixed before the pen was released.

If they had folks testing these pens the play in the nib, drying out, and misalignment should have all been evident in a relatively short period of time. :glare:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen