• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jorgerp1

• Sagar_C

• alexander_k

• Mike Schutz

I tried this ink again, and even bought a new bottle (the old one is at least 20 years old) and still don't much care for it. Too light, too cranky (flow problems in my Parker 61 and the "51" I tried it in), and not good on my crappy notebook at work.

Many people like it, but I've never really gotten to. For what it's worth, the new formulation is darker. Still not really black, at least for me.

Peter

I tried this ink again, and even bought a new bottle (the old one is at least 20 years old) and still don't much care for it. Too light, too cranky (flow problems in my Parker 61 and the "51" I tried it in), and not good on my crappy notebook at work.

Many people like it, but I've never really gotten to. For what it's worth, the new formulation is darker. Still not really black, at least for me.

Peter

I haven´t any problem with this ink in my 51´s... it´s very safety IMO.

This is one of my favorite inks, if not my very favorite ink. I have never had any problems with it. It is always a very well behaved ink for me. I agree that it is a good, dark black ink that makes a great daily user.

Thank you for your review.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

I admit that Parker Quink Black is not the blackest of blacks, but it is one of the best behaved inks I have used. It flows very well in most (though not all) of my pens, and it is very easily available in my country (unlike most other inks). It's the black ink that I use most of all.

Incidentally, black Quink is the only bottled fountain pen ink I've ever bought locally in my little town. Years ago I found a bottle of black Quink (with Solv-X!) on the shelf at one of the office supply stores here. More recently I went back to the same store and asked about fountain pen ink, but the clerk said he doesn't think anybody makes that stuff anymore!

I went to the other store, which doubles as the newspaper office, and asked them. . . They weren't sure if fountain pen ink was still made either (!) but said they would try to get me some. It took more than a week, but they finally came up with a couple bottles of black Quink (no Solv-X dangit).

• 10 months later...

Greetings Jorgerp1,

Lately I have been getting to be a big fan of Parker's Quink- I had always been big on Waterman inks, (I still am). However, the flow and lubrication qualities on Quink are fantastic. I just don't care for their black because it is a little washed out, but that's okay, I'm not a big fan of black anyway. I do love Quink blue-black and Quink Permanent Blue, (the latter has to be purchased from Europe though- for some reason, it isn't available in the U.S. anymore).

Thanks for the review,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• 8 months later...

I just bought a bottle of Parker Quink black ink and it really seems to be flowing heavily from my nib (Pelikan M200 old style pre 1997) M. Is this just how the pen writes or is this a problem? I'm brand new to fountain pens and the ink i had in the pen yesterday (before kind members of this forum told me to immediately remove it) was a higgins non water proof black ink (for calligraphy pens) which actually wrote quite well (but apparently does damage to the nib).

Is this a problem or is this just how a fountain pen should write? it seems that it's just very think and that if i don't write very quickly, the ink will bleed onto the paper.

Thanks for your help.

Cheerks.

Parker Quink Black is now the only black ink I use.Never any problems with it.

If I ever have any doubts about the performance of a particular pen or ink, I always flush it and load it with either Parker Quink Black or Blue Black because of it's reliability and good flow. Thus it is, literally, the ink by which I judge all others. Which is not to say that there are not other inks that I prefer, just that, having served me well for the best part of 50 years, I know them to be utterly trustworthy.

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

I just bought a bottle of Parker Quink black ink and it really seems to be flowing heavily from my nib (Pelikan M200 old style pre 1997) M. Is this just how the pen writes or is this a problem? I'm brand new to fountain pens and the ink i had in the pen yesterday (before kind members of this forum told me to immediately remove it) was a higgins non water proof black ink (for calligraphy pens) which actually wrote quite well (but apparently does damage to the nib).Is this a problem or is this just how a fountain pen should write? it seems that it's just very think and that if i don't write very quickly, the ink will bleed onto the paper.Thanks for your help.Cheerks.

Quink is a free flowing ink, and is possibly just too wet for your Pelikan. I suggest that you order some ink samples from e.g. Goulet Pens, and find what works well. It sounds like you need a dryer ink, so try the Pelikan 4001 series.

• 7 months later...

Quink Black was the ink my dad bought me when I asked him for a dip pen. And it's the only fountain pen ink I know before I found this forum. I had 2 bottles of ink, but I left the newer one in college, too lazy to pack it, since the ink that my dad bought me years ago is still unused.

I received a bottle of Quink black with the Parker Urban kit I purchased a while back (pen, bottle of Quink black, 2 black cartridges, 2 blue cartridges, and a converter). I stared the pen off with a cartridge, but them moved to the converter and bottle. The ink flows well in the pen, it's smooth, and is quick drying. It doesn't feather on the legal pads I use at the office. Nice fuel for the daily driver.

Cheers.

Edited by camjr

Well, my impression of Quink isn't very postive because it has bleed-through and feathering on the papers I've used, and red and blue shades begin to emerge around the lines and letters written by it. Perhaps it is because I'm a student and the papers I use are pretty cheap.

But surely, Quink is one of the darkest ink. Its incomparable price makes it a good choice. :thumbup:

I admit that Parker Quink Black is not the blackest of blacks, but it is one of the best behaved inks I have used. It flows very well in most (though not all) of my pens, and it is very easily available in my country (unlike most other inks). It's the black ink that I use most of all.

Same here: not the blackest black but quite well-behaved and reliable - in addition to being widely available. I've had my troubles with various Quink inks but black has always been the exception.