Opinions on Waterman Expert wanted

stephen82

Let me tell the turth.

Just like what Stylo said, fountain pen is a lottery! (At least for the expertII)

I tried two expertII F on the day i bought it.

The first one i tried was a little scratchy, with very good flow, but the nib was cut lopsided!

The second one was much smoother, skips sometimes (i didn't realize that when i bought it sad.gif )The finish of the nib was perfect.

And the expertII M (matt black) i own is a very smooth, yet wet writer.

I will say: don't buy the matt black finish one, the lacquer finish are not very even and with some tiny raised stuff. But the others color finishs very nice.

So, what causes a fountain pen to skip? It is quite persecuted to me.

Hope you all understand my poor english blush.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ARRI

• stephen82

• HesNot

• ramshacklemann

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arri

Good fountain pens are never retired. I still use a Vacumatic that belonged to my grandfather.

Besides, the pen was a wedding present from my wife. (She bought me a Sheaffer Legacy for our 10th anniversary recently!)

Now the duotone(?) nib (Expert II are steel I think?) met the floor........ :headsmack:

Will check whether it is going to be worth my while to have it repaired. <_<

Does anyone have a spare barrel and/or nib lying around?

Regards

Mike

Edited by 110Mike

My Expert (not a II) needs a new nib but the cost of getting a new nib is as much as buying a new Expert II on fleabay! I also have a loose cap fitting (but the barrel is still ok). Soooo I shall probably soldier on with it using it less and less and using others more and more - shame as it was my first good pen and I've really enjoyed using it.

My Expert (not a II) needs a new nib but the cost of getting a new nib is as much as buying a new Expert II on fleabay! I also have a loose cap fitting (but the barrel is still ok). Soooo I shall probably soldier on with it using it less and less and using others more and more - shame as it was my first good pen and I've really enjoyed using it.

I like the looks of the Expert-2, but in reading reviews of it here on FPN, I'v seen a few people complain about their nibs having rust issues, they say it doesn't affect performance nonetheless.

Now if I were spending some serious cash on it, I would find even performance-unaffecting rust unacceptable.

I have an Expert II City Line Urban Brown pen - AND I LOVE IT! On the heavier side, yes, but it feels substantial and like it will really last. And even my small hands can handle writing for long periods with it. YMMV No problem at all with rust on the nib - I hadn't heard that before. It's was my first ever brand new, unused pen for me. I'm very very happy with it.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

i may have an opportunity to buy a used waterman expert 1 for about $30 (actual pic below). i've collected pens for a long time but know next to nothing about modern watermans, so i thought i'd ask you experts about the expert (just had to say that, didn't i?). is this a good buy, and what should i be looking out for? has this pen been faked the way montblancss and sonnets have? many thanks for any advice.

post-2960-1180786439_thumb.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

Hmm. I think that's actually an Expert II. I have that exact pen.

It's not a bad deal. BUT... if you can be patient, and like the black lacquer model in M, check out the auctions that Pens n' More have on Ebay. They have a near-constant supply of Medium point Experts. They sell some of them without boxes and converters, and others with that stuff included. The prices vary greatly. I saw one go for $80, and then one went for $28, brand new.

Guest ictop
I would like to have at least one higher-end fountain pen. Higher end for me is $125 or less. The model I noted above really appleals to me.

Thanks,

Steve

I would not consider my Expert as a higher-end fountain pen. Mine served me daily for the past 8 years and is still working fine. I can't even remember when was the last time I cleaned or flushed the nib. As they said - If it ain't broke ... There's nothing to fix anyway. If the Expert appeals to you, go get it. As for me, about $8 per year so far, that's well worth every penny.

IcTop

I didn't like my Expert II at first, but now it is a regular carry pen for me. It is tempermental with Noodler's but it loves the Waterman cartridges and writes very nicely. For the money, it is a good buy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Expert I - it was my first fountain pen, so it has great sentimental meaning for me. But even if this were not the case, I'd still be very fond of it. I don't have a huge amount of experience, but of all my pens over the years (the Expert, a Waterman Rhapsody, Pelikan M400, Sailor 1911, Rotring 600, Lamy 2000, two vintage Parker Vacs) - the Expert I is the only one to have never given me any trouble. Writes immediately, every time. No clogs ever; easy to clean. Never a mechanical problem. The others are great pens - I use them and enjoy them. And perhaps one could say that the Expert doesn't have a lot of character, comparatively speaking. But I always come back to it, and it feels like coming home. There's just something about how it fits my hand...it's the most "transparent" pen for me to use (i.e., I don't notice it's there in my hand. I simply write. Extremely comfortable.) I usually carry two pens, in case one runs out of ink. One rotates through my collection; the other is always the Expert. Couldn't leave my old friend behind, now could I? :)

I may be the odd one out, but I actually like my Expert I better than the newer Expert II. The Expert II is too heavy for me. (Admittedly, I like light pens.) The fact that it's simple resin has never bothered me. After all, I don't think it's any more fragile than my vintage pens.

The Expert II may be a great pen for some. YMMV. But if you try one and like the size and shape but wish it was lighter - or you just like lighter pens, I'd go for the earlier model. Don't think they're made anymore. Perhaps ebay? Anyway, a GREAT value.

And those of us who think about the empty spaces tend to paint pictures, write books, or compose music. There are many talented people who never will become painters, writers, or composers; the talent is in them but not the empty spaces where art happens.

-Russell Hoban, "Amaryllis Night and Day"