New Visconti at Philadelphia

kazoolaw

This pen is a symbol of my finished but unpublished novel (and my unproduced movie script) "My Final Suicide." The original title used to be "Versus the Volcano."

My protagonist's favorite quote is "Homo sum, humani nihil ame alienum puto." Which translates as "I am a human being and nothing human is alien to me. " It's from Terentius.

After losing her job, her boyfriend, her house, and all her posessions, she goes on a suicidal spree, which she accidentally survives. Then finally, she discovers the perfect suicide: to jump into a volcano!

Now, you might understand why I call it my grail pen...

Rita

P.S. BTW, my novel is actually funny. It's a dark comedy.

I would think it only sensible to picture you sitting at book stores signing copies of the book with this volcanic pen!

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• RitaCarbon

• shrinknib

• eric47

This pen is a symbol of my finished but unpublished novel (and my unproduced movie script) "My Final Suicide." The original title used to be "Versus the Volcano."

My protagonist's favorite quote is "Homo sum, humani nihil ame alienum puto." Which translates as "I am a human being and nothing human is alien to me. " It's from Terentius.

After losing her job, her boyfriend, her house, and all her posessions, she goes on a suicidal spree, which she accidentally survives. Then finally, she discovers the perfect suicide: to jump into a volcano!

Now, you might understand why I call it my grail pen...

Rita

P.S. BTW, my novel is actually funny. It's a dark comedy.

I would think it only sensible to picture you sitting at book stores signing copies of the book with this volcanic pen!

________________________________________________________________________________

Sigmund Freud

The story stands to become more significant than the pen.

The pen should always be the story.

Can I quote this in my "pen stories'? Such a perfect expression...

Rita

Rita

you flatter me... They tell me that always gets you somewhere!

Of course you can use that... I'll just be waiting for the first copy to come to me!

And I like the sound of the suicidal spree; right up my professional alley. Sounds very entertaining.

Sigmund Freud

I tried the palladium flex nib, and for a modern nib, I liked it. I'd call it semiflex when compared to what we expect in vintage Watermans, Wahls or Omases.

Thanks for mentioning that comparison, Fred. Still haven't had a chance to try that nib given all the hubbub around here. I figured it would be semi-flex more than anything else. You wouldn't have an modern Omas Extra-flessible nib to compare it to, would you?

The new Pd nib is actually pretty flexible as far as modern nibs go. It is very close to the Omas 'extra flessible' nib. The Pd mib might be a tad softer with initial pressure but less so as more pressure is applied. The Omas nib is a bit closer to a vintage semi-flex. The comparison is not perfect since I have a 1.3mm stub with the Pd nib and a fine with the Omas 'extra-flessible'. I'll have to try a fine or extra-fine Pd nib to get a better feel. In the end, the Pd nib probably has flex close to a vintage semi-flex but it lacks the proper spring for control. [my emphasis] With the stub, it is not easy to control the variation. You will not mistake this nib for say a 1930's Omas nib nor a vintage Japanese nib.

Wow, thanks, that highlighted part is exactly what I was looking for. I tried an Omas "extra flessibile" EF on the Omas "nib kit" at a store. It wasn't bad on downward pressure because of its softness, it flexes. However, it didn't have the same "recoil" or "snap/spring back" as the vintage Omas flex and semi-flex nib -- heart-shaped breather hole nib or "Extra Lucens" nib. At the time I had a vintage 60s Milord with me, so I did a head-to-head comparison with the EF "Extra flessibile" and semi-flex Extra Lucens nib (although a slightly smaller nib).

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

You wouldn't have an modern Omas Extra-flessible nib to compare it to, would you?

Oh, I have an old-style modern Arco brown, but flexible? Not a chance. We know where those "real nibs" are! ;)

Fred

Fred, Omas makes modern 14K nibs called "Extra Flessibile" -- engraved as such on the nib. AltecGreen has one an Arco, see here. I remember someone had one, and thanks to his reply in this thread I went digging for the photo.

They're special order nibs like the stub and italic, so you typically do not find them on pen in stores. occasionally you see an eBay auction with one. The Armando Simoni club also says you can order their pens with that nib.

There are definitely an EF and F that you can ask Omas to stick on a pen. I believe the M "Extra Flessible" you'll find only in the nib kit -- a dip-pen version of the Paragon with all the Omas nibs on screw-in sections. The reason I believe for that is that the M under pressure just gushes and spews ink. At the very least a couple of stores have told me never to ask for an M Extra-flessible to be put on a pen.

It's a modern semi-flex (or flex depending on what you're used to) nib. I tried an EF in a store, flexy, but still short of the vintage semi-flex and flex nib. AltecGreen, who actually has one, posted some comments about it and the Visconti Pd in this thread, post 40.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I tried an Omas "extra flessible" EF on the Omas "nib kit" at a store. It wasn't bad on on the downward pressure because of its softness, it flexes. However, it didn't have the same "recoil" or "snap/spring back" as the vintage Omas flex and semi-flex nib -- heart-shaped breather hole nib or "Extra Lucens" nib. At the time I had a vintage 60s Milord with me, so I did a head-to-head comparison with the EF "Extra flessibile" and semi-flex Extra Lucens nib (although a slightly smaller nib).

I cannot speak to the comparison of the new Visconti Pd nib versus the OMAS Extra Flessible nib because I don't have the latter. However, I did try the new Visconti Pd nib at the Philly show. As far as modern nibs go, it's semi-flex at best. I'd compare its flex "feel" to that of the nib on the Namiki Falcon. Yet, I think the nib on the Namiki Falcon offers more flex line variation (meaning the difference between fine lines and wider lines on "recoil").

Comparing the Visconti Pd nib with semi-vintage and vintage OMAS gold nibs, I agree with AG's comment that one will not mistake the Visconti Pd nib for that of vintage OMAS nibs. In essence, I find that all my OMAS semi-vintage/vintage nibs have more "recoil" and "spring back" than the new Visconti Pd nib. I have a semi-vintage OMAS 620 with a goldplated steel nib, and that nib is on par with the semi-flex qualities of the Visconti Pd nib. If one defines flex simply by the ability of tines to "open up", then the Visconti Pd nib will offer that -- but it won't offer the flex line variations that most semi-vintage/vintage flex nibs will offer.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

However, for those of us who don't press down on our nibs at all, the Pd offers a "bounce" that wasn't there with the 18k when writing swiftly.

Obviously from Bertram's Inkwell

gary

I was able to try the pen at the Philly pen show. It was lighter than I expected and the brass was nice.

I tried an Omas "extra flessible" EF on the Omas "nib kit" at a store. It wasn't bad on on the downward pressure because of its softness, it flexes. However, it didn't have the same "recoil" or "snap/spring back" as the vintage Omas flex and semi-flex nib -- heart-shaped breather hole nib or "Extra Lucens" nib. At the time I had a vintage 60s Milord with me, so I did a head-to-head comparison with the EF "Extra flessibile" and semi-flex Extra Lucens nib (although a slightly smaller nib).

I cannot speak to the comparison of the new Visconti Pd nib versus the OMAS Extra Flessible nib because I don't have the latter. However, I did try the new Visconti Pd nib at the Philly show. As far as modern nibs go, it's semi-flex at best. I'd compare its flex "feel" to that of the nib on the Namiki Falcon. Yet, I think the nib on the Namiki Falcon offers more flex line variation (meaning the difference between fine lines and wider lines on "recoil").

Comparing the Visconti Pd nib with semi-vintage and vintage OMAS gold nibs, I agree with AG's comment that one will not mistake the Visconti Pd nib for that of vintage OMAS nibs. In essence, I find that all my OMAS semi-vintage/vintage nibs have more "recoil" and "spring back" than the new Visconti Pd nib. I have a semi-vintage OMAS 620 with a goldplated steel nib, and that nib is on par with the semi-flex qualities of the Visconti Pd nib. If one defines flex simply by the ability of tines to "open up", then the Visconti Pd nib will offer that -- but it won't offer the flex line variations that most semi-vintage/vintage flex nibs will offer.

Hiya girlieg33k, glad to see you back. :) Namiki Falcon, what's that, is that Italian? :ltcapd: Joking of course, I don't own one of those.

Appreciate the further remarks comparing the Visconti Pd to semi-vintage/vintage semi-flex and flex nibs. When I read "flex nib" or "semi-flex" I think about my vintage pens that not only open but have that sharp recoil and spring back for a distinctive type of line variation.

I have some modern nibs (mostly Pelikan M700 nibs) that are soft and "flexible" in that their tines open up easily, but they lack the sharp recoil and snap back. I can get line variation out of them, but not of the same kind I can with a vintage semi-flex or flex nib.

As I originally expected when I heard about the Pd nibs, I should try them and compare to my other soft modern nibs and other like the Omas "Extra flessibile". I suspect they won't be a substitute for vintage semi-flex and flex nibs. Considering the price, I think I could get a nice vintage Italian with a genuine flex or semi-flex of the sort I'm looking for -- dimension, weight, and balance would probably be better suited for my tastes anyway.

Well. That is just gorgeous. I may have to come off of my Visconti strike I declared when the Pericle 2000 (2001?) ticked me off. :ph34r: It was my first and last Visconti, because it never worked, even after months away for repair. I am still a bit wary of them.

One correction to the description. For ~600.00, no, I can NOT leave it on my dashboard. :roflmho:

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

However, for those of us who don't press down on our nibs at all, the Pd offers a "bounce" that wasn't there with the 18k when writing swiftly.

+1. I use almost zero pressure in normal writing.

Having a number of nice "true flex" vintage pens, I think the best way to describe what I experience with the Pd nibs with regular writing/pressure is "bounce" as GP describes - it's not unlike what you feel if you get hold of a very nice XF Pelikan M1000 nib...

:cloud9:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I'm using an older 18k B next to a Pd BB today and it's the difference between a greased rock and a melting ice cube. The B is nice enough until I pick up the Pd and slip over the page as if friction was repealed as a law of physics.

If you write a LOT, get a Pd nib. They're so restful on the hand that it never ceases to amaze me when I pick one up, even in a heavy pen. :thumbup:

I'm using an older 18k B next to a Pd BB today and it's the difference between a greased rock and a melting ice cube. The B is nice enough until I pick up the Pd and slip over the page as if friction was repealed as a law of physics.

If you write a LOT, get a Pd nib. They're so restful on the hand that it never ceases to amaze me when I pick one up, even in a heavy pen. :thumbup:

Agreed. The 18K nib is definitely no slouch, but the Pd is bouncier and glides more smoothly. :cloud9:

Kushbaby

Having a number of nice "true flex" vintage pens, I think the best way to describe what I experience with the Pd nibs with regular writing/pressure is "bounce" as GP describes - it's not unlike what you feel if you get hold of a very nice XF Pelikan M1000 nib...

In "normal" writing I don't use much pressure either, and for that with vintage pens, I'll grab a semi-flex rather than a super-flexy flex nib.

With a true semi-flex nib, I can write with no pressure. But when I need to I can add flair and line variation with some pressure. Kind of like driving a Ferrari, you can't just max. out at 55 mph; every once in awhile you just gotta open it up and see what it can really do.

In "normal" writing I don't use much pressure either, and for that with vintage pens, I'll grab a semi-flex rather than a super-flexy flex nib.

With a true semi-flex nib, I can write with no pressure. But when I need to I can add flair and line variation with some pressure. Kind of like driving a Ferrari, you can't just max. out at 55 mph; every once in awhile you just gotta open it up and see what it can really do.

Oooohhh... That's the PERFECT analogy. Racecar...

I do have three true wet noodles (Waterman 7 Black nib, Pelikan 101N tortoise, and a Waterman 12 eyedropper), with which I get plenty of flex even with almost zero pressure. They are really delightful. :cloud9: But they are for letter-writing or slow notes - NOTHING gets written fast with them.

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

The story stands to become more significant than the pen.

The pen should always be the story.

Rita

Rita

Of course you can use that... I'll just be waiting for the first copy to come to me!

And I like the sound of the suicidal spree; right up my professional alley. Sounds very entertaining.

Thank you very much. There is a shrink character in both my script and novel that appears repeatedly in my protagonist's dreams. May I call him Shrinknib?

Rita

Edited by RitaCarbon

Rita

Rita

Thank you very much. There is a shrink character in both my script and novel that appears repeatedly in my protagonist's dreams. May I call him Shrinknib?

Rita

Doctor Nib perhaps ??

As long as he is tall dark and handsome

Sigmund Freud

Doctor Nib perhaps ??

As long as he is tall dark and handsome

Definitely!

hehehehe!

I always wanted to be famous.

If you ever need any psych advice (re the story!) let me know.

Sigmund Freud

Careful, Rita! That's how I met the Persian Diversion! :yikes: I told a writing friend I was looking for research from someone who'd actually lived in or been to the area I was writing about. She told me to meet her at a local coffee house and she'd have someone I could ask questions. The door opened and HE came in. :wub:

Edited by Ghost Plane