The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

New Dollar Pens from smeden

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 smeden

smeden

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 15:45

could I see a picture of the calligraphy nib, close up, and perhaps a writing sample? Thanks.

I have no camera with a macro lens so this is the best I can do for the moment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#22 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 15:49

btw, it's meant to be held at an angle so you get thin downstrokes and thick sidestrokes...

Posted Image

btw, a review of the dollar demonstrator, 717i, 717i italic, SP-10 and the student pen are coming up soon from me.. Keep an eye out for that!

Edited by HenryLouis, 23 January 2010 - 15:50.

Posted Image

#23 cchan

cchan

Flint, MI USA

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:55

Aha cool. So it is a left foot oblique, like I thought it was. Me want now!
Posted Image

#24 smeden

smeden

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:15

Ordering the Dollar fountain piston fillers

This is a modified post in order to make it easier to order the Dollar pens.

The price for every single pen is 5 € or 7.25 US $. I have to charge extra for postage and packing but I only charge the actual costs, no more.

Shipping is always with fast Priority Mail.

Prices in US Dollars including shipping to United States

1 pen 10.05 $
2 pens 17.30 $
3 pens 24.55 $
4 pens 34.20 $
5 pens 41.45 $
6 pens 48.40 $
7 pens 55.95 $
8 pens 66.40 $

Prices in euros including shipping to Europe

1 pen 6.50 €
2 pens 11.50 €
3 pens 16.50 €
4 pens 21.95 €
5 pens 26.95 €
6 pens 31.95 €
7 pens 36.95 €
8 pens 41.95 €

Prices in euros with shipping for all other countries (ecept Europe and United States)

1 pen 6.95 €
2 pens 11.95 €
3 pens 16.95 €
4 pens 23.60 €
5 pens 28.60 €
6 pens 33.60 €
7 pens 38.60 €
8 pens 43,60 €

The pens are:

Dollar 717i Transparent Grey, blue and burgundy

This is the popular Dollar Demonstrator pen.

Dollar 717i Grey, blue and burgundy

Exactly the same pen as the Demonstrator but with coloured, opaque body and cap. No transparency but, like its famous brother pen the demonstrator, very nice. Fine-medium.

Dollar 717 Calligraphy Grey, blue and burgundy

This is a pen that some of you have asked for. Similar to 717i but with a calligraphy nib. The factory says the nib is suitable for writing Arabic, Persian and Urdu scripts. Fine.

Dollar SP-10 Many colors

This is the largest Dollar pen. Slide type piston filler. Fine-medium.

Dollar Student Pen Black, blue, burgundy and green

A small pen but a great performer and holds a lot of ink. This is the only Dollar pen with a medium nib.

Ordering

PM me and I will send you a PayPal money request. Please also tell me your colour selections. I also want to know if you live in USA in order to send the money request in US dollars. From all other countries I prefer payment in euros.

You can also email me with your order. I am smeden717 at hotmail.com.

I believe I have a reasonable chance to meet your color preferences for the 717 and 717i pens. I will do my best for SP-10 and Student Pen but please give me several options for these.

All Dolllars are piston fillers.

FPN member HenryLouis has written a review of these Dollar pen here:

Dollar 717i and friends review/comparison

Pictures

Posted Image
Dollar 717i Demonstrator

Posted Image
Dollar 717i

Posted Image
Dollar 717 Calligraphy

Posted Image

Dollar SP-10

Posted Image
Dollar Student Pen

Posted Image

This picture is here to show the sizes of Dollars compared to a Lamy 2000 and a Reform 1745. From left: Lamy 2k, SP-10, Demonstrator, 717(i) Studentpen, Reform 1745.

Posted Image
All Dollar pens.

Posted Image
Calligraphy nib, Dollar 717 (Factory image).

#25 cchan

cchan

Flint, MI USA

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 00:59

PM sent on 717Calligraphy and Student Pen.
Posted Image

#26 taitonero

taitonero

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 16:47

PM sent on demonstrator, 717i and 717i calligraphy.

#27 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2010 - 19:48

717i Demonstrator arrived today, thanks for the prompt service.

Somehow I expected it to be larger from the photos, it's about the same size as my Pelikan M250 and M400. It is a nice writer and an interesting addition.

Thanks
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#28 LinusL

LinusL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 20:48

PM sent on two Dollar 717i (Demonstrator) Transparent Grey and two Dollar 717i Grey.

#29 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2010 - 20:33

Pen arrived a couple of days ago, quick service. I have been playing with it for a couple of days, I think this might become my new note taking pen. Thanks Smeden.
The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

#30 jleeper

jleeper

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 23:51

Just got and inked mine. Nice, smooth nib, on par with my Safari.
Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Justice of U.S. Supreme Court (1902 -1932)

#31 cerberusdog

cerberusdog

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:21

Email sent for 717i, 717i Demonstrator, & 717.
Thanks
Rick

#32 Leibniz

Leibniz

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 18:53

I received my two pens today. They are wonderful!

Thanks!
etiam mortuus redeo
Even dead I come back

#33 taitonero

taitonero

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:54

Pens arrived.
Really quick service.
Thanks

#34 filou001

filou001

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:56

I was not impressed by the dollars pens, I wactly got what I paid for. And in my opinion a little less.

Filou

#35 smeden

smeden

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:02

I was not impressed by the dollars pens, I wactly got what I paid for. And in my opinion a little less.

Filou

Filou,

I am sorry to see that you are disappointed with your Dollar pens. Of course I don't want to question your right to dislike the characteristics of the pens. But I want to tell you and others that if there is something wrong with the pens you buy from me I will replace them free of charge. This is regardless if the damage has happened in transit or at the factory. I check every pen before I ship but it is possible, of course, that some defect may go undetected.

I do not earn my living by selling pens and I am in this business primarily as a hobbyist. If I feel that I cannot offer fair value for the money with the pens I sell I will simply quit selling them.

So please don't hesitate to contact me if you have problems with the Dollar pens. I will do my best to resolve all issues. And while I am at it I would also like to point out that all Dollar pens need to be flushed with water before filling with ink to prevent skipping.

smeden

#36 LinusL

LinusL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 13:35

Four pens arrived a couple of days ago. Thumbs up for the fast shipping! Got to say I love piston fillers (these being my first ones)! Wonderful pens for the price I must say.

Only tested two of them so far (one demonstrator and one 717i). Out of those the 717i is working quite well with minor skipping from time to time, but that's most probably because of the Chocolate Brown ink, as both Umber and Royal Blue was a perfect match for the pen with no flow or skipping problems.

The demonstrator seems to have some nib trouble though. I've flushed the pen with water and I've also pulled out the nib to see if there was anything blocking the feed or anything else resulting in the bad to almost nonexistent flow. After cleaning, it seems the nib itself is having trouble. But I can't be sure as I don't have magnification good enough to check for myself. Nor do I have the proper tools to fix it.

Question about the nib section, is it possible to pull it out at all or is it glued together with the pen body? Like if it's friction fit or screw on? Right now I've only tried removing the nib itself, as I don't want to break anything.

If you want we can continue the conversation in PM :)

#37 smeden

smeden

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 14:16

Four pens arrived a couple of days ago. Thumbs up for the fast shipping! Got to say I love piston fillers (these being my first ones)! Wonderful pens for the price I must say.

Only tested two of them so far (one demonstrator and one 717i). Out of those the 717i is working quite well with minor skipping from time to time, but that's most probably because of the Chocolate Brown ink, as both Umber and Royal Blue was a perfect match for the pen with no flow or skipping problems.

The demonstrator seems to have some nib trouble though. I've flushed the pen with water and I've also pulled out the nib to see if there was anything blocking the feed or anything else resulting in the bad to almost nonexistent flow. After cleaning, it seems the nib itself is having trouble. But I can't be sure as I don't have magnification good enough to check for myself. Nor do I have the proper tools to fix it.

Question about the nib section, is it possible to pull it out at all or is it glued together with the pen body? Like if it's friction fit or screw on? Right now I've only tried removing the nib itself, as I don't want to break anything.

If you want we can continue the conversation in PM :)

The feed is friction and very easy to remove if you already have removed the nib. So it is easy to check if something is hindering the ink flow. The nib and feed only fit in one position so replacing them is also trivial. But all this should not be necessary and as cleaning and flushing are to no help I am sending you a new pen.

smeden

#38 LinusL

LinusL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:03

Thanks a lot smeden. The new demonstrator arrived today, so I loaded it up with some Waterman Florida Blue and it works wonders :D

Yeah, the feed was real easy to remove now that I looked at it again. The broken demonstrator now acts as a dip pen to test out new inks, so it can be used for something at least :)

Once again, thanks for the wonderful service!

Regards,
Linus

#39 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 15:39

Sounds interesting, I'll bite!

#40 lensassaman

lensassaman