Jinhao golden clip X450

Chris

I've seen a number of reviews for cheap Chinese pens and on the whole they are positive. To satisfy my curiosity I bought one of these from a seller on ebay - at £5.48 including shipping I took the view its worth the risk.

I like to write with the pen posted and this one doesn't post very well. This is very subjective but I have to add that when posted it does feel a little out of balance to me.

When it writes it writes very smoothly and with good ink flow. However, for some reason there are times when the ink flow simply stops. Give the pen a light shake and ink flow is resumed. Whether this will change as the nib beds in or whether the pen will go in the bin only time will tell.

The other gripe I have is the ink converter is very small and holds very little ink.

My conclusion is that the numerous reviews I've read suggest the quality control of the manufacturer of these pens is not as good as it could be. If you get good one you've got outstanding value for money, if you get a dud the price is low enough not to worry about.

I just purchased an X450 from ebay seller "combinedshipping" and by these comments am really looking forward to getting it. As for the small converter, this same seller carries Jinhao international cartridges, but they are 2.8 inches long with is about twice as long and will hold about twice as much ink as the converter that comes with the pen. So if you don't have an issue with using and refilling (via syringe) these carts might be a good option. I ordered 25 of them for about $7 and change. Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Bill

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/7/1/3/6/5/webimg/527413818_o.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• ronlakin

• Scribblesoften

• Jamesbmorley

I got a Jinhao x450 in marbled red/black with gt as an Xmas present from my parents who kindly also got it engraved for free as they purchased it from www.sigmapens.co.uk. The pens looks beautiful (perhaps a bit too bling for me) and I like weight but concur with other comments about the posting issue. The nib is fairly smooth to write with but does slightly resemble an offensive weapon being so big. As with a couple of other reviewers, my x450 writes fine the suddenly stops and will kick in again with a bit of coaxing. It all got too much when in a meeting with someone using a MB... Still I've only got myself to blame as I dropped hints about Sigma to my parents as I wanted a nice pen for forms, sermons and registrar work It was a kind gift but I wish I had offered to put something to it and actually get a Sigma... Anyone called James want an engraved Jinhao x450?

James,

It just seems as if you may have a slight problem with the feed. Try removing it by gripping the nib & feed between thumb & forefinger & pulling it out. Then inspect the grooves along the feed. It is not uncommon for there to be flakes of plating stuck in the tiny grooves. These bits can stop the flow, so once they are removed, it should help.

Alternatively look at the cartridge convertor. Is there a bit of curly wire or ball in it? If not, disassemble the c/c and pop in a ball from an old cartridge. This should break any surface tension that is stopping the ink from coming out.

Regards,

Richard.

Sad to relay that although I was most enthusiastic about this pen when I first got it, and the pen has not changed, I do find that although it starts fine and writes well for a few lines, when I have to write a lot or, during a meeting, take notes off and on for an hour or three, the intermittent ink flow problem drove me mad. It now sits in the spare pen drawer with its pal, the Jinhao X750, that suffers in the same way.

I have removed the feeds of both and widened the channels, cleared out any 'bits', removed the little black stick that bungs up the opening into the feed (I'm sure it has a name) and rinsed with detergent etc. but all to no avail. So, I use a dearer pen for my travels (Cross Townsend - pretty tough pen anyway) and try not to be too rough with it.

One day the grandchildren will want to try out a 'pen like grandpa's' and I'll have exactly the right one to hand, knowing that if it comes to grief in the first few moments, it won't matter.

Chris

That's been pretty much my experience as well with my X450.

A darn nice looking pen, won't post nor do I want it to, smooth writing but sometimes I need to prod it to get it going.

I think it's a heck of a bargain.

Hex, aka George

I got a Jinhao x450 in marbled red/black with gt as an Xmas present from my parents who kindly also got it engraved for free as they purchased it from www.sigmapens.co.uk. The pens looks beautiful (perhaps a bit too bling for me) and I like weight but concur with other comments about the posting issue. The nib is fairly smooth to write with but does slightly resemble an offensive weapon being so big. As with a couple of other reviewers, my x450 writes fine the suddenly stops and will kick in again with a bit of coaxing. It all got too much when in a meeting with someone using a MB... Still I've only got myself to blame as I dropped hints about Sigma to my parents as I wanted a nice pen for forms, sermons and registrar work It was a kind gift but I wish I had offered to put something to it and actually get a Sigma... Anyone called James want an engraved Jinhao x450?

James,

It just seems as if you may have a slight problem with the feed. Try removing it by gripping the nib & feed between thumb & forefinger & pulling it out. Then inspect the grooves along the feed. It is not uncommon for there to be flakes of plating stuck in the tiny grooves. These bits can stop the flow, so once they are removed, it should help.

Alternatively look at the cartridge convertor. Is there a bit of curly wire or ball in it? If not, disassemble the c/c and pop in a ball from an old cartridge. This should break any surface tension that is stopping the ink from coming out.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard

You are an officer and a gent. Having followed your advice, this pen is now as wet and consistent as my Italix Parsosns essential which is the most consistent pen I own. Now there's more ink the line seems a bit broader which is great as just got a Lamy Safari stealth as my black ink pen having been frustrated by the x450. Above all, I'm glad I'm now able to use an appreciate a pen which was a gift. Having had my faith restored thanks to you Richard I now feel more confident about trying the 159 and a Kaigelu 316. Thanks again Richard.

James

With thanks

J. B. Morley

I wanted to try out Diamine Sargasso Sea, which has had mixed comments on FPN. Diamine's 30ml "small" bottles have quite narrow necks, and I wondered if the Jinhao section would fit in it. It did! I was pleased. Until the section fell off the converter and into the bottle :gaah: For a wonder, I didn't turn the air blue; it could not possibly have been bluer than my fingers...

I've seen a number of reviews for cheap Chinese pens and on the whole they are positive. To satisfy my curiosity I bought one of these from a seller on ebay - at £5.48 including shipping I took the view its worth the risk.

I like to write with the pen posted and this one doesn't post very well. This is very subjective but I have to add that when posted it does feel a little out of balance to me.

When it writes it writes very smoothly and with good ink flow. However, for some reason there are times when the ink flow simply stops. Give the pen a light shake and ink flow is resumed. Whether this will change as the nib beds in or whether the pen will go in the bin only time will tell.

The other gripe I have is the ink converter is very small and holds very little ink.

My conclusion is that the numerous reviews I've read suggest the quality control of the manufacturer of these pens is not as good as it could be. If you get good one you've got outstanding value for money, if you get a dud the price is low enough not to worry about.

This has proved to be a disappointing pen, which is a pity because I actually like the weight and balance of the pen and when its writing as it should it's very nice. The problem is it misbehaves. The original problem of ink simply ceasing to flow has not improved with use and it's now developed another problem which is there are times when it does the opposite and floods. Can't bring myself to bin it but it is consigned to the back of the drawer. Maybe I should buy another one just to see if I've been unlucky and got a dud, after all my Kaigelu 316 is outstanding and yet I've read reports which suggest otherwise.

• 9 months later...

I've had one for the past 3-4 yrs or so (matte black). It used to have starting and skipping problems. Recently, I left it inked for some time and it got all dried up with even the converter getting jammed. So I dumped the section and disassembled converter for a few days in a mug of water. Now it writes beautifully - no ink flow problems (drought or flood)whatsoever. I can now enjoy the feature that made me buy it in the first place- the smoooth nib. Other plus points for me are the nice weight unposted, the bling nib ( yes it does look impressive being whipped out to sign the credit card slip). On the negative side there was the initial dryness and occasional non starting ( not very impressive when you wave away the proffered cheap ballpoint and whip out your bling pen and the umm, thing doesn't write....) and also the fact that the coating has gone from the end piece of the barrel and from the top of the cap. That said, it's had a rather rough life so far,

• 4 months later...

I just recieved several of these pens and happy to report that they perform wonderfully. I cleaned it well before inking it up with Noodlers Bay State Concord Grape. The pen glides across the paper. Never had a pen do this as well as this pen.

My only question is, does anyone know what size nib is on it? I am hoping it is a number 6 since I have quite a number of nibs that size.

Thanks,

Bill

A lot of the flow problem might be is related to the converter itself. For some reasons, ink in these Chinese converter like to stick on the wall of the converter and not getting ink flowing. The spring/ball agitator (that's why the have one) don't really helps especially the ink volume is low. Try another better converter and see if it helps since they take standard international cartridges.

If you want a better pen and secure posting, try the X750.

Edited by whoelse

I have three of these--each a different color, and they are all performing flawlessly. Don't know how long they will continue to perform, but at <$10.00 USD, it's not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I did find out that the nib size is 6. That means that the nibs Brian at GP sells will fit as well as any other dealer of size 6 nibs.