The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Okami

Okami

Writing Is Thinking In Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:37

You can read the full blog post and see all the photos here: Featured Pen - Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel

Here is the text of the post:

The pen is a lovely Statesman Snorkel, which was obtained on my behalf by my friend and fellow blogger over at Bleubug who has knowledge of the Snorkel.

History from Penpedia:

The Statesman is the lifetime warranted equivalent of the Special. Like the Special, it uses a PdAg nib, which has been upgraded to a Triumph model instead of the cheaper open nibs. It also has a wider 3/8" GF cap band with parallel lines running around the top and bottom circumference of the band. These pens were just over twice the price of the Specials at $15.50. And as is customary with the white dot models, we see a smooth GF clip with no imprint.

The Sheaffer Snorkel is hailed as one of the most complex filling mechanisms used in fountain pens. Sheaffer created the Snorkel by modifying the Sheaffer Touchdown TM line and released the new pen in 1952. Strong marketing backed the pen, which was featured as cleaner than competing nibs, because the nib did not have to be submerged and wiped off when filling. This habit was becoming cumbersome in lieu of emerging ball point pens, making the Snorkel very appealing versus competitors.
Despite their complex mechanism, the Snorkel pens can be some of the most reliable and consistent performing of vintage fountain pens. The pen line survived several years before being retired in 1959, however the snorkel filler lived on until 1963 in the Sheaffer Pen For Men Line.

In addition to the brief history of this pen above, there is a wonderful detailed history of the Sheaffer Pen Company by Rick Conner here at Penspotters and even more information on the Snorkel line.

I’m trying a little bit of a different format for my reviews, please let me know if you like or dislike it.

The Statesman is a solidly built but light pen and is a pleasure to hold in your hand.

Appearance & Design, 9 out of 10 - Burgundy, with a good deep imprint and still retaining most of the chalk marked price of $15.50

Construction & Quality, 9 of out 10 - This is a sturdy well built pen typical of the Sheaffer pens of its day

Weight & Dimensions, 9 of out 10 - Slender and lightweight this pen measures 5 ˝ inches capped, 5 inches unposted and 6 ˝ inches posted. It weighs in at 16 gms

Nib & Performance, 9 of out 10 - P4 Fine PdAg Triump nib, Wet and smooth, but well controlled

Filling System & Maintenance, 9 of out 10 - Snorkel filler, the mechanism on this pen is a little stiff but it performs admirably, afterall it is at least 50 years old (it’s also a lot of fun to fill)

Cost & Value, 10 of out 10 – this pen was very inexpensive compared to many of the other pens that I own and about the same as an inexpensive modern pen

Conclusion Final score: 9.17
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

Sponsored Content

#2 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:16

very nice review thanks for sharing :thumbup: :clap1:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#3 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:31

Thanks for sharing, nice review.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#4 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

http://fountainpenpencollector.blogspot.com.es/

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:18

Well done!! nice review.

#5 buffalowings

buffalowings

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,128 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 15:17

many thanks for posting this review
I'm a little hot potato right meow
"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"
I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

#6 11Haze29

11Haze29

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:46

If the Sheaffer Statesman had a lifetime warranty, would it still be honored today. Or, is it only honored to the original purchaser with original receipt.

#7 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 18:04

If the Sheaffer Statesman had a lifetime warranty, would it still be honored today. Or, is it only honored to the original purchaser with original receipt.

I think original purchaser. Otherwise Sheaffer would have a real problem on its hands.

#8 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2010 - 19:11

I can't say anything about Sheaffer today, but the last time I used their warranty service it was for an old wire vac-fil that needed new sealing. I called them and they sent me a pre-labeled shipping kit. The pen in question was from long before the snorkels and I sent it in. In about two weeks I got a package back from them with my pen, unrepaired, a note saying they could no longer repair the vac-fils but they were sending me a new Imperial Lifetime as a replacement. There was no charge and they were a joy to work with. IIRC I got David Nishimura to fix the old Sheaffer and it's still going strong today.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#9 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

http://fountainpenpencollector.blogspot.com.es/

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 14:29

Very nice pen!!!

#10 purplepen

purplepen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 20:00

One of my two or three favorite vintage pens . Glad to see a review of it.

Sponsored Content

|