The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Delta Via Veneto

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 13:32

FIRST IMPRESSION 8
Nicely presented in an interestingly designed box (love the thin, black cartridge box). The internal box is a cute little box that, when you undo the black rubber strap, pivots or swings on a silver point to reveal the Via Veneto - my first Delta - a stylish and serious pen with a touch of the anti-establishment - but just a touch - in the raised, twisting curls of the bright sterling silver cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN 9
I have to admit that I'm a silver and black man; and the Via Veneto delivers. The pen is predominantly black with stylish and subtle touches of silver in contrasting rings at the base of the barrel and base of the section. The nib is also silver in look (actually platinum plated gold), and sits nobly on the end of the black section. The cap is sterling silver, topped with a rounded ivory casein section (and a similar strip at its base). Both cap and body have a special hand engraved guilloch twisting its way across the pen making it almost multi-dimensional and giving it a freedom to play with the light and wink at the writer. The very base (which teases by almost suggesting it's a piston) has "Via Veneto" subtly engraved on it. The tip of the cap, also has a silver delta logo.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION 7
Posted, the weight is good - although I like a slightly heavier pen. Unposted, it's a lighter, shorter pen, and loses a little appeal - but all-up, I'm a posting man; so happy with the result.
Capped it's 13.5cm long x 1cm wide (width is good).
Posted it grows to 15.5cm long
Unposted it shrinks to 12cm from base to tip of nib.

NIB AND PERFORMANCE 8
I've tried a few Deltas before (Dolce Vita) and hadn't been that impressed with the nib. Well I am this time! As I mentioned, this pen boasts a gold nib, platinum plated in Medium. Straight out of the box this nib wrote smoothly in my standard first time pen ink (Waterman Florida Blue). Unfortunately, no flex here; but easy to write with. This pen will clearly stand a minor missive or two.
Posted Image

FILLING SYSTEM 8
Cartridge and converter (quite a large one) NOT a piston Posted Image. Nevertheless, adequate enough - you can't really do anything too wrong with a c/c - it's just not a piston!

COST AND VALUE 9
THis pen I don't think is made any more. Retail new it was about US$320. I bought it from Fahrney's for about $250 (and then saw one on ebay for about US$170 Posted Image - but it may have been used). Notwithstanding, for between $170-260 this is a really good deal!

CONCLUSION
The Delta Via Veneto (Doue or Elegance model), is a high quality, attractive pen that looks elegant (well named), writes beautifully and comes at a good price. Another keeper.
Posted Image

82/100

 0-50 = to be avoided at all costs
 51-60 = if it's cheap and you don't really care….
 61-70 = a nice pen with the makings of something better (just don't spend too much)
 71-80 = A better than average pen with just a few flaws that stop it from being really good
 81-90 = A good pen, a keeper only a few minor places off being great
 91-95 = Now THIS is a pen! If you can get it: keep it, love it, cherish it, and keep it away from the dog
 96-100 = Grail

Posted Image

Edited by youstruckgold, 08 January 2010 - 14:37.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 13:50

Nooo - this review with your tempting photos makes it almost impossible to refrain from buying a Via Veneto Doué. I've been lusting after it for some time, but this really makes it hard to resist. Thank you for this excellent and thorough review!
*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#3 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

http://fountainpenpencollector.blogspot.com.es/

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 14:00

Worderful pen!!!!

#4 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 14:15

Nice review!

I have the plain black and casein version of this pen and I love it.

Until saw your close-ups, I never realised that not only the cap but also the barrel of this version had that twisty texture.

I think the price you paid is a good deal for a classic pen by Delta with a gold nib, casein inserts and that hefty sterling silver cap.
Enjoy!

Edited by QM2, 09 January 2010 - 11:36.

#5 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 20:05

I think I'm going to have to retire as moderator of the pen reviews... folks like you, YSG, have far too many gorgeous pens you're parading around that I have to look at. It's torture! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for reviewing this unusual pen. Great photos and details. I also like your conclusion rating scale. :) Very beautiful design... that casein insert reminds me a little of Montblanc (in a good way). When I'm back into major pen buying, this one will be on my list. :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#6 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:28

I think I'm going to have to retire as moderator of the pen reviews... folks like you, YSG, have far too many gorgeous pens you're parading around that I have to look at. It's torture! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for reviewing this unusual pen. Great photos and details. I also like your conclusion rating scale. :) Very beautiful design... that casein insert reminds me a little of Montblanc (in a good way). When I'm back into major pen buying, this one will be on my list. :thumbup:

MYU - please don't retire. THe torture is ending soon as I've got a few to review then nothing until the new MB in green striated celluloid that Fred is working on. Posted Image
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#7 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2010 - 13:11

Thanks for sharing, excellent review, nice looking pen.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#8 tanburi

tanburi

flux

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2010 - 18:31

That's what I call style... The nib is just lovely...

Thanks for such a colorful review.
Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

Sponsored Content

|