The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy Safari Cap Problem

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2015 - 20:33

Never had this happen myself, but I rotate pens so much that one particular pen doesn't get used a great deal. Seems some folks have noted this problem with safaris that they have used constantly for long periods of time. I guess the inner cap becomes worn and doesn't hold as well after a long period of use and likely many capping and uncapping cycles.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Sponsored Content

#22 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2015 - 00:02

I had a problem with my safari today. I clipped on my shirt today after office. At lunch I realized that clip was on it once and the pen had fallen inside the tucked in shirt. It caused big blue spot on my undershirt and shirt. :-(. Never had such a problem with even eye dropper in-expensive pens. Did anyone have simile experience of cap coming off?

I've had this problem with a Kaweco Sport pen - which has a screw-on nib! - and the ink was from the Noodler's bulletproof range.  It was a new shirt, too... I've since discovered this can happen with almost *any* of my Kaweco pens, if I don't screw the lid on securely enough.

Without seeing the pen, I'd guess there are two possibilities: (1) that you didn't cap it properly; or (2) as @PAKMAN suggested above, the inner cap has become worn (and/or the rubber ring it clips onto has perished).  We like to think our pens will last forever with just a little care and maintenance, but there *is* such a thing as wear and tear.  Not to mention manufacturing defects that may not be obvious straight away!

#23 ahallam

ahallam

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 00:18

Kiri I've had the same problem...and fixed it. The blind cap that the pen locks into is just a plastic sleeve that grips with friction. In my case, a ride in the washing machine made it no longer grip the pen. Fix was pretty easy:

1.) Remove the plug from the top of the cap. Older Safaris the plug unscrews, on newer ones like mine it snaps in. To pop it out push a small flat object (like a small diameter chopstick) inside the cap against the plug until it pops out. For me a small torx screwdriver head worked great.

2.) Now you can see the top of the bind cap in the plug cavity, pop it out by pushing down on it.

3.) Wrap three layers of electrical tap around the broad end of the blind cap to add thickness to the diameter of the blind cap. This will cause the blind cap's internal diameter to compress when put back into the cap.

4.) Snap the blindcap back into the cap (the torx screwdriver worked well for this).

5.) Snap the plug back in. In my case my screwdriver was the socket type, so I just took out the torx bit and pushed the empty socket inside the cap against the top of the blind cap to keep it in place while pushing the plug back into the top of the cap (the cavity in the socket screwdriver allowed the plug to come in).

Now my Safari is nice and tight again.

Hope this helps others.

-J

Wow. Thanks for this! I've been so annoyed with the loose cap on my beloved yellow Safari that I was considering just replacing the whole pen. Just finished your fix, and the cap is nice and clicky again.

#24 Spector

Spector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:44

Kiri I've had the same problem...and fixed it. The blind cap that the pen locks into is just a plastic sleeve that grips with friction. In my case, a ride in the washing machine made it no longer grip the pen. Fix was pretty easy:

1.) Remove the plug from the top of the cap. Older Safaris the plug unscrews, on newer ones like mine it snaps in. To pop it out push a small flat object (like a small diameter chopstick) inside the cap against the plug until it pops out. For me a small torx screwdriver head worked great.

2.) Now you can see the top of the bind cap in the plug cavity, pop it out by pushing down on it.

3.) Wrap three layers of electrical tap around the broad end of the blind cap to add thickness to the diameter of the blind cap. This will cause the blind cap's internal diameter to compress when put back into the cap.

4.) Snap the blindcap back into the cap (the torx screwdriver worked well for this).

5.) Snap the plug back in. In my case my screwdriver was the socket type, so I just took out the torx bit and pushed the empty socket inside the cap against the top of the blind cap to keep it in place while pushing the plug back into the top of the cap (the cavity in the socket screwdriver allowed the plug to come in).

Hope this helps others.

-J

thanks I will try this

Posted Image "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

#25 cooperehlers

cooperehlers

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:54

I fixed this problem in my Lamy Safari

light a small candle or match and put the lid over the top of it so that the flame is just inside the lid. Hold for a couple seconds then try put the cap back on the pen. Repeat this a few times until it fits nicely. The heat should shrink the plastic so that it fits tightly again.

#26 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 16:12

I <think> I have had a problem with a Safari; but am not sure.  However, I <did> certainly have problems with caps losing their grip on both of my old cp1 pens -- twice!  Lamy service here in USA were wonderful and have never charged me for the prompt repairs.

I have two Safaris and, since I really no longer use them, I ought to put them up for sale.  One thing I have experienced is breakage of the cap: I cracked one (red, shiny plastic) by perhaps being too forceful with replacing it on the pen (seems very weird/dubious); but never had that problem with the "rough",  matte plastic, as in the black or the green versions.  I suspect that the very shiny plastic is more brittle...?

Edited by Christopher Godfrey, 06 October 2017 - 16:13.

#27 balkan_boy

balkan_boy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:17

Hope this helps others.

-J

Thanks, 

I was just about to throw it away. 

Now it's usable again. 

#28 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:41

Can some one put some pictures of the process? I have a Savannah Green, yes the first model and the cap was replaced once, but after some years of using it it started again with the cap problem, I need to know if this process is safe to perform for this "collection item".

Regards

Sponsored Content

|