M600 vs M800 -- cannot decide

ObiYawn

I recently bought a red/black striped M600 fountain pen from an authorized Pelikan dealer. I bought it in this size because it most closely matched the kind of fountain pens I had in elementary school (I went to school in Germany where fountain pens are mandatory for the first few years). However, after a couple of weeks of using it, I am beginning to wonder if it is a tad too short and too light weight. I also tried the M800 in the store, but dismissed it because it was too unbalanced with a posted cap, but it might have been perfect without the cap. The M600, on the other hand, is pretty good with a posted cap, but almost a tad too short and too light without the cap. And I have discovered that, for the most part, I am too lazy to post the cap when I just want to quickly write something down.

My hands aren't overly large -- pretty average for a guy.

Any recommendations as to how I should choose the right size? My understanding is that I can still exchange the pen within the first 30 days, because it's an authorized dealer. Correct me if this assumption is wrong. I know for sure that they would let me switch the nib, but not 100% sure that they would let me switch the entire pen.

Thanks!

-Jan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Nibwitz

• Mighty_Pir

• ObiYawn

I'm not sure if they'll let you exchange a ENTIRE pen, doesn't seem very likely

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I recently bought a red/black striped M600 fountain pen from an authorized Pelikan dealer. I bought it in this size because it most closely matched the kind of fountain pens I had in elementary school (I went to school in Germany where fountain pens are mandatory for the first few years). However, after a couple of weeks of using it, I am beginning to wonder if it is a tad too short and too light weight. I also tried the M800 in the store, but dismissed it because it was too unbalanced with a posted cap, but it might have been perfect without the cap. The M600, on the other hand, is pretty good with a posted cap, but almost a tad too short and too light without the cap. And I have discovered that, for the most part, I am too lazy to post the cap when I just want to quickly write something down.

Any recommendations as to how I should choose the right size? My understanding is that I can still exchange the pen within the first 30 days, because it's an authorized dealer. Correct me if this assumption is wrong. I know for sure that they would let me switch the nib, but not 100% sure that they would let me switch the entire pen.

Thanks!

-Jan

If it were me, Jan, if possible, I'd go back to store with pen, box, receipt, etc.. and explain that you think you might be better off with M800 and that you'd like to retry the M800 and compare it again to M600...

If you decide that M800 is better for you, sounds like it might...then ask store to exchange it...assuming that M600 is undamaged, etc...would not be surprised if they can do it, but they'd likely ask for a restocking charge on M600 as you've used it and then credit you after that towards the M800 and you'd then pay the remaining balance...to me that would be very reasonable for both of you...

In fact, I've done exactly that in the past, so, I know that at least some stores will do that...especially, if they want to build a good ongoing relationship with you as a potential future pen buyer....

Worth a try....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I'm grappling with this exact same dilemma right now. I have an M600 rollerball that is the perfect size for me. I have very large hands and am wondering if I would be better suited to the M800 in a fountain. I'll have to call the only Pelikan dealer near me to see if they have both in stock so I can make the comparison but I doubt it. They are a jewelry store that happens to sell a couple pens.

A thought: Are you holding your pen right? I also went to school in Germany for a few years and had to use a fountain pen (Geha), but I after that did not use fps for many years. It took me a while to get the hand of writing with fountain pens again. Are you perhaps holding the pen too high up? That might explain your complaint if you have average-sized hands.

Pelikan has some of the best service around, so do go and see if you can change to the 800 - they should love you, since the 800 is considerably more expensive than the 600.

Good luck!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Thanks for all the responses and the sensible advice -- I will go to the store tomorrow to see if they want more of my money to let me upgrade to the M800, after letting me try it once more :)

A thought: Are you holding your pen right? I also went to school in Germany for a few years and had to use a fountain pen (Geha), but I after that did not use fps for many years. It took me a while to get the hand of writing with fountain pens again. Are you perhaps holding the pen too high up? That might explain your complaint if you have average-sized hands.

Pelikan has some of the best service around, so do go and see if you can change to the 800 - they should love you, since the 800 is considerably more expensive than the 600.

Good luck!

Erick

Erick, I used Pelikano pens, the school version of Pelikan's fountain pens, for many years. They were just as slender as the M600 (if not slimmer), used ink cartridges and steel nibs, just like your Geha :)

I have to admit, with the M600 it's a bit tricky to hold it correctly. Whatever way I hold it, one or two fingers are constantly pressing on the threading where the cap gets screwed onto, which is a bit uncomfortable. So most of the time I am actually holding it as close to the nib as possible, but there isn't much space in-between the threading and the nib at all. Still, the pen is only about as long as where my index finger meets my thumb on the back of my hand (not a doctor, so don't know the anatomical terms all that well)*. And without the cap it feels very light.

I am wondering if the M800 would help in this regard. Perhaps I might not like it's thickness though. Are there any downsides to having a thicker pen, especially in conjunction with an EF nib, in terms of comfort and accuracy?

* = Ok, this sounds a bit exaggerated. It's actually a bit longer than how I am describing it above, it sort of reaches a little bit farther, almost to the back of my hand. But without the cap it's definitely not sticking out at all, and I've seen other people with their Mont Blancs and they are usually longer and are quite noticeable in size. Perhaps I am just a bit envious :)

Is there a right or wrong way with regard to posting the cap or not? Or is it purely personal preference? If a pen is too unbalanced with a posted cap, would that be a sure sign that it's too big?

Edited by ObiYawn

Thanks!

-Jan

well i recently purchased an m600 and had this exact same dilemma.. i went back to the store and the owner was more than happy to exchange it but i did another comparison again and realised why i chose the m600 in the first place.. the size.. i find that the m600 is a much better size for extended writing sessions.. i couldnt handle that size of the m800 writing for hours (in an exam for example) but the m600 is perfect for me.

my advice would be to rethink why you chose the m600 in the first place.. thats what i did

Patience is a virtue when waiting for the right pen... although I do just always seem to miss them

Twitter - aget19

I think I'm going to go with the M600 as a starter. It will match my M600 rollerball in green. As an added bonus, because I HAD to get the one that matches, it will give me an excuse to buy the M800 in all black later!

Now I just need to decide if it's worth it to purchase the Binderized model or save $60 and get it from Pam Braun.

I have all five sizes of the Souvern line. My favorites are the M300 and M800. The M600 even in my small hands just doesn't do it for me. While the M800 unposted suits me nicely (I have 4 of them) My daily writers currently are M2XX and a 1931 Original of their Time. Go for the 800 if they will do the exchange.

Fair winds and following seas.

I consider the M600 the perfect size for a pen (I have medium-large hands) but I always cap the pen. The M800 is too big in my opinion to be used if posted, so my m600 is always in my bag and the m800 is the queen of the drawer, I use it at home when I need to enjoy this magnificent pen. Unposted, the M800 is a magnificent size for a pen - so...

Having had both and since I don't post a pen when I write, the M800 is my choice. I like the size and balance unposted and the extra weight feels just right.

I too have large hands, but I still can manage with a M 400 Tortoise Shell, which - if memory serves me right - is a close match size-wise to the Pelikanos and Geha's of my school days long ago (when Kennedy still was president).

But my current favourites are the M 640 series pens (Natural Wonders) with 18K rhodinized or bi-color nibs.

The M 640 with its characteristic barrel is thicker than the M 600, but shorter than the M800 series, and fits very ergonomically into my hand.

(And I always write with the cap removed.)

B

Edited by beluga

I write unposted so the 800 is just the right length weight and balance for me. Also the slightly larger girth of the pen makes it more comfortable for me to use than my 600 series pen.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It would help me if ObiYawn would bring us up to date on his experiences deciding between the M600 and the M800. I have the M800 and it may just be a little too large in diameter for me to be comfortable writing with for a long time, and the M600 may be better. Also, the M nib may be too wet and wide for me, so I am thinking of going to the F nib, which I find nice on many of my other brands. Any additional postings on the differences would be helpful. BTW: the Pelikan reviews are really helpful too!

All the best,

T

Thanks!

-Jan

I can tell you that i have both pens.. a 600 and 800 and i fine them equally as good to write with.. But i post the cap on the 600 and dont post on the 800. The 800 nib is a M and the 600 is an OB nib so. The m800 is a work of art and the larger nib looks fantastic.. it distracts me sometimes when i write, so if you think you might have that problem then go for the 600.

At the end of the day if you have 30days to change it over.. try both for 15days each and make a decision on which one you like better.. thats what i would do.

Patience is a virtue when waiting for the right pen... although I do just always seem to miss them

Twitter - aget19

I too have large hands, but I still can manage with a M 400 Tortoise Shell, which - if memory serves me right - is a close match size-wise to the Pelikanos and Geha's of my school days long ago (when Kennedy still was president).

But my current favourites are the M 640 series pens (Natural Wonders) with 18K rhodinized or bi-color nibs.

The M 640 with its characteristic barrel is thicker than the M 600, but shorter than the M800 series, and fits very ergonomically into my hand.

(And I always write with the cap removed.)

B

I couldn't agree more about the size and weight of the 640 series pens. I have the Niagara Falls, and want to get a Mt Everest, (I don't like green or I woudl get polar lights. I wish they would add the 640 series as a Souveran line in black with rhodium trim. However as far as a 600 vs 800, I also have a 600 and feel its too slim and light. I don't have the 800, but I love my 1000 which when I post it is like writing with a baseball bat but the nib is a dream, it almost writes itself. I think if you brought it recently and are trading up they may be happy to accommodate you.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I think someone was bitten by the Pelikan bug... You should go back to the store with your m600 and try out both. Which feels more comfy within your hand. Things that can also help you decide is the slightly bigger nib and the heavier weight. Or you can own both... :drool:

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 w/14c Binder's XXXF- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

I also think that the m800 is the perfect size...for my hands! I have two which are in daily circulation!!!

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...