Cleaning demonstrators

Dappy

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of ink gathering in the Pelikan 205 barrel where the nib screws in? I'm kind of new to demonstrators and find it very irksome to be unable to clean the barrel thoroughly.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rabbit

• buffalowings

• Dappy

• thekraitmusic

Can you unscrew the nib and clean it with a cotton swab/Q-tip? Dip the swab in water, and if that doesn't work, maybe try some ammonia diluted with water (1:10). Please note that I do not own this pen and therefore am not 100% sure if ammonia is safe to use on the material from which it is made. It's pretty safe on most modern pens, but there are some materials that it could harm. Maybe someone here can verify if it's OK on a Pelikan 205.... (edit to add: I actually didn't realize that I was reading the Pelikan forum until just now... I KNOW someone can verify it in here! :))

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

I think every M205 owner (including me) has the same 'problem'. The question is whether it's really a problem or not. Stephen's advice might be useful. I've tried dish cleaner with water and cleaned it off a bit but I've never managed to clean it all. When you switch to inks of different colors or tones the residue may be annoying. But after one or two fill-ins the color 'in' the section changes into the one 'in' the reservoir. It seems to add to the character of the pen. So don't mind it, I'd say.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

I think every M205 owner (including me) has the same 'problem'.

yes, it is :happyberet:

Today in hands:

Stipula Etruria Nuda LE

Vistonti Van Gogh crystal

Stipula Novecento Cromo LE

Stipula Giardino di Boboli LE

Parker 75 Cisele Vermeil

Aurora 88 big

Pelikan M1000

Dollar clear barrel

Sailor 1911 ProGear demo

Molteni Cilicia LE

Bexley Stradivari LE

Scrub it clean with care, and then coat the threads and end of the barrel area with a thin coating of silicone, taking care for an even and complete coating of the areas. Staining problem solved (until you change nibs)...

This has worked very successfully for my M200 model demonstrators (green, red), so it should work acceptably with the M205 model.

John P.

IMO demonstrators look great when they are NIb, but once inked, I can't stand to look at them

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

IMO demonstrators look great when they are NIb, but once inked, I can't stand to look at them

Unless you use one with Noodler's Blue Ghost. I have a demonstrator that I use exclusively with that ink.

--Stephen

but would you want to use blue for your entire life?

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Blue Ghost is Noodler's "invisible ink" that is invisible in daylight, but glows blue under a black light. When used in a demonstrator pen, the whole pen glows a bit and is fun to use. Since it's pretty much clear, if you can't wash it all out, you wouldn't really notice the residue in the pen and would thus still have a nice looking demonstrator by day. The demonstrator I use it in is one of those clear Waterman Kultur pens--I got it on eBay for $12. If I had something more expensive, I'd definitely want to get more practical use out of it. :)

--Stephen

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of ink gathering in the Pelikan 205 barrel where the nib screws in? I'm kind of new to demonstrators and find it very irksome to be unable to clean the barrel thoroughly.

Hello!

I own two M205 demonstrators, two M800 demos and the Aurora Optimas. Generally, I heed the great French artist Auguste Rodin's words, "What takes time, time respects." First, I always begin with distilled water. I fill the pen and leave it, nib down, in a glass of distilled water overnight--or longer. Perhaps I wait a couple of days--changing the water periodically. If that does not dislodge the ink, I use Speedball Pen Cleaner that is safe for fountain pens (check the label since one should not use strong pen cleaner specifically formulated for technical pens which use India-type ink). Speedball cleaner for fountain pens is a mild, soapy solution (there isn't even a hint of ammonia in it), and I have had good luck with this cleaner. Usually, I follow the directions and let the pen sit, filled with the solution and with nib in a glass with solution, for 30 minutes. Then I flush out the solution with water.

It is a great idea, with the Pelikans and the Auroras, to unscrew the nib & feed unit so the barrel can be thoroughly flushed, and the nib unit can be soaked, if necessary.

I can't be too "anal compulsive" with demonstrators since, at times, it is impossible to absolutely clean everything so it looks as it did when the pen was first purchased.

Good luck!

Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Get yourself a Syringe. Unscrew the nib from the section. If you look down the section you will be able to see that the ink has found its way behind an inner ring of plastic. Use said syringe to force water between the inner plastic ring and the section. Problem Solved. :)

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I use Alkaline water for general washing purpose. PH 12.5 or so.

I am not sure if you can find this in your area. I unscrew the nib and fill the chamber with this water.

This water is good for washing off ink stain from your hand too.

The alkaline water is a great idea. I use the Wality, Kaweco Sports, and Pel 205 demos, and figure a little ink in the pen is the price of using a demo, like getting food in your teeth. Want 'em clean? Don't eat.

edit: read my own signature...the Reform Skywalker is also a demo!

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• 6 years later...

Lovely tips. Can we use soapy cotton swab and water to unstain too ?

Edited by thekraitmusic