Emerald Green 1945 Parker Vacumatic Major

HenryLouis

I hope you enjoy reading this review and viewing the pictures as much as i enjoyed writing it and taking the pictures. I am supposed to have a blue azure major, but alas, it hasn't arrived... I wanted to wait until it came to add to the review, but I guess I'll just add pictures later.

Parker Vacumatic

Intro:

I've always wanted one of these pens. They're not usually recommended as people's first pens, and I'll talk about that when we get to the fillingsystem. The Emerald Green one was made somewhere between 1942-1948. Anyway, I won't go into much detail about the pen's history, as it can all be found on Richard Binder's site and after all, this is a pen review, not a history lesson. These are nice celluloid pens, made under the vacumatic name from1933-1948, but I believe the Canadian factory kept making them until 1953 I believe. Someone correct me if my information is wrong. They came in many different sizes and variations (i.e. single or double jewelled, small variations in the cap or clip).

Apperance and Design:

Upon opening the box, I saw something very interesting. A green pen with stripes. There are layers of transparent celluloid in between the opaque green celluloid. Upon holding the pen to light, you can see the ink capacity within! Obviously, some pens do not have that transparency due to use but I can see the breather tube with mine. No real furnishings, the clip is nice and functional, the cap band is nice as well. The nib is a good size & the threads are good and smooth. I like the celluloid, it often gives you the impression of glowing… The different colors give it good depth… On the side it says Geo S Parker PARKER VACUMATIC and 5. I presume the 5 means it was made in1945…

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3494.jpg

Look at that beautiful celluloid!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3500.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3535.jpg

Here are some specs:

Capped: 12.7 cm

Uncapped: 12 cm

Posted: 14.9 cm

Nib:

Wow, this nib is very nice. It is a nice monotone nib withthe Parker arrow descending downward to the tip, with PARKER USA 5 written at the back. I believe it is 14K gold, and it writes a nice fine line at around 7/10 wetness with Omas blue. There is very good control with this pen, which I like.The nib has no flex, which is good for longer writing sessions. I have yet to write a long distance, but you can probably guess what one of the pens I'll be bringing to the English exam will be…

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3497.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3498.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3502.jpg

Filling system:

This pen uses the Vacuum-fill. It basically is a barrel witha diaphragm at the top, with a plunger outside of the pen. Depressing theplunger depresses the diaphragm, and then releasing it sucks up some ink fromthe bottle. Do this several times for a good fill. Flushing is a pain, as it's hard to take everything out. I usually get a good grip onthe pen, put some tissues on the nib and start shaking the pen so the last of the water can get expelled from the pen. Anyway, it's painstaking to fill and Idon't really like it, but since it's such a nice pen I'll let it go… Replacing the filling system is difficult too, you need a special tool to take out the filler, and since there are so many sizes if you break it it's not easy to replace it… But at least you can see the ink capacity...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3499.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_3495.jpg

Cost and Value:

They can be had for $70-$120 for a good one, rarer ones will be in the $100-$400 range. Overall, it's a good price for such a nice pen,although I wouldn't recommend getting one if it was your first vintage, it might put you off vintage pens if the diaphragm has ossified. I got mine from Jorgerp1... he has great deals on Parkers...

Conclusion:

One of the most pretty pens available… I still have one onthe way, but I fear it may be lost as it's been a month since the pen was shipped. Or it's sitting in customs…Oh well. I want it to be here, to join it's wonderful green emerald sibling!

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• hariharan

• Brian

• f22pilot72

congrats on the pen :thumbup: Hope you will get your other vac soon.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice score, Henry! And thanks for your splendid review, with eye catching photos. Yeah, I'd definitely say you've been ready for one of these for some time. Every fountain pen owner/user should own at least one Parker vacumatic. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

congrats on the pen :thumbup: Hope you will get your other vac soon.

I certainly hope so...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Thank you, I really love this pen! There is barely any brassing on it!

I hope my other one comes this week, from the photos it was it even better condition than this one, barely being used!!!!!!!!!!!

Good choice! I have A similar Vac thats a 1944 in gray w/ silver clip and two tone nib. That pen is the strongest vintage workhorse pen I have ever seen. My Vac got me through High School which was no small thing. There were a lot of long timed essays, kids knocking you around in the classroom and schoolyard, rough desks; my Vac got knocked off the desk and kicked around a few times. In that environment a brittle 1920's Waterman or Duofold or glass inner barrel MB 149 would not last a week. You would not know the above, my pen was never phased. I still use that pen a lot.

I really like its stiff and smooth mono-line nib; that is what made it a good school pen. That has been consistent with every Vac I have seen, though I have seen a few rare flexible Vacs on the FPN discussions.

Very nice review, and excellent photos, Henry!

I agree that the Vacumatics are not the easiest pens to flush and clean, but don't you think filling the pen is slick? It takes in so much ink, and the vacuum system is almost magical when it starts drawing up the ink into the chamber.

Hope your Azure pen arrives soon. I have a Golden Pearl, similar to your Emerald Green in age, but would love to have a blue one at some point (and a Burgundy Pearl).

Thanks for the lovely review. That pen is a real beauty! An Emerald Green Vacumatic is definitely on my to-buy list but all the good ones have been way over my budget. I've always felt that this, a Parker 51, a Sheaffer Balance and PFM are the iconic vintage American must-haves in any fountain pen collection.

Until then, forgive me while I drool over your photos....

Thanks for the review, Henry! I agree--celluloid pens do seem to glow, and the transparent part of these is fun to look at. I only have a few Parker Vacs, but two of mine are green because I love that color so much. I don't know much about the variations, but one of my green ones has the same cap band pattern that yours has, but with a .4. date code (it has a few deep scratches, so I'm not sure if the first dot is actually a dot or just a defect!) It has recently developed a small leak in the diaphragm, so I'm going to use it as a learner pen to do my first Vacumatic repair whenever I get around to ordering some stuff for it. I've already used it to practice polishing because it came to me with several scratches and bite marks. :)

--Stephen

great review, HL! mine was supposed to be delivered yesterday and no-one was home for the delivery confirmation :crybaby:

i'm going to the post office first thing tomorrow morning to get it! mine is a major in golden brown body with single black jewel. that's all i can say since i'm no expert of the Vac family.

Edited by lovemy51

the other vac came today, it's in even better condition than this one, with a very clear barrel and dark, lustrous blue rings... a nice xf nib... i don't even want to take it outside, it's just a great pen...

Thanks for the great review and photos!! This is one of the pens that's been on my list from the start.

-Michael

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Douglas Adams

Henry,

You should take a look at the Waterman Inkvue if you like the transparency. The inkvue was Waterman's response to the vacumatic. As far as pen wars go in the 40s era the big visible ink supply players were Parker Vacumatic, Waterman Inkvue, and Sheaffer Vac Fill. Finding any of these in pristine condition is always exciting and rewarding. Especially because we all know what old ink did to vintage clear plastics.

Have fun with you new pen.

Great review. You have captured the beauty and shimmer of the celluloid - thus presented the pen in a most tempting way (even for someone who isn't all that keen on vacuum fillers). Thanks!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Great review,Henry! That green vac has a really nice color to it! A pen collector/user should have

at least one or more vacs in their collection!

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• 6 years later...

I have a 3rd gen Emerald Green Vac Major identical to this one, but mine is from 1946. A solid, durable pen that is possibly the best writing pen I have. These are not hard to fix, but you need to do your homework before you start. Richard Binder has one of the best guides for repair on his website. Better than the Parker repair manuals and Frank Dubiel's advice. I had no problems fixing mine, but have had problems with other such pens, breaking a vac 51 beyond repair because of poor preparation and overconfidence. Be sure to use no shellac on either end of the pen. It is never needed for sealing it up.