Martini Blue Sky LE

rogerb

1. Appearance & Design 9.5/10 – This is a very pretty pen; see pics below. It is similar to my Bexley Sheherazade, except a lighter, more tanslucent shade of pale blue resin with embedded silver-foil flakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/BlueSkyPen2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/BlueSkyPen1.jpg

2. Construction & Quality 9/10 – As I only got it yesterday, too soon to say, really, but it is of good Bexley-quality, evrything looks and feels well-made and fits together neatly.

The silver coloured trim appears better than some I have seen on other Bexleys. The clip is marked "6K" ....I don't know what that means!?

3. Weight & Dimensions 9/10 – Just right in size for me: 13.4 mm capped, 12.5 uncapped and about the same thickness as a CS Wellington or Duro.

It is very light....I prefer slightly more 'substantial' pens, so just a point off for that.

4. Nib & Performance 10/10 What's still to be said about Bexley 18K stubs? Just about perfect. :)

This one has, despite the photo's appearance a silver-coloured plating (Pd or Pt, one assumes.

It is moderately wet, about 6-7 on Richard B's scale, I'd say, depending on the paper.

See writing example, on white card, using Diamine Sapphire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/BlueSkywriting.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance 9.5/10 - As previously said, it's too soon to evaluate long-term performance and reliability.

It is one of those rather rare creatures, a Bexley piston-filler.

Thanks to the translucent body it's easy to check on ink contents. Its capacity doesn't appear as large as some piston-fillers, but certainly more than a c/c.

6. Cost & Value 7/10 – I bought it from Regina Martini's auction site ....as often seems to be the case, mine was the only bid!

It cost 181Euros ($259), including tax and delivered to Spain, so it was not inexpensive, IMO.

However, I am very pleased with it and think it's good VFM compared with, say, 'real' Bexley LEs.

7. Conclusion: Final score, 54/60 - This is a very pretty pen, appearing to be of of the best of Bexley's quality, a lovely writer with a relatively rare piston-filler. It is, I think, a 'keeper' :)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerb

• pilgrim

• georges zaslavsky

• ampatb

I watched this auction; good price, nice pen. glad to hear that you are satisfied. according to writing sample the nib is really excellent.

your review intrigued me for Bexley pens, any recommendation? (I prefer OS classic pens like mb149, pel 1000 ...)

very nice :thumbup: :clap1: if I ever see one at a penshow I will buy it for sure. thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The 6K on the clip is the gold content. The Blue Sky is a nice pen. I got one directly from Regina as well. It is about the least expensive of all her custom Martini pens. My resembles my Bexley Sheherazade very closely. Definitely a keeper

Edited by cakibler

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The 6K on the clip is the gold content. The Blue Sky is a nice pen. I got one directly from Regina as well. It is about the least expensive of all her custom Martini pens. My resembles my Bexley Sheherazade very closely. Definitely a keeper

Yes, I guessed 'gold content', but have/had never seen anything marked as being less than 9K ....

Incidentally, I don't think anything having less than 50% gold content should be described as 'gold'... this clip is presumably mostly silver.

To be fair to this maker, I haven't seen it described as 'gold' .... just making a general point, which I think is what the law requires in many European countries.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

• 4 weeks later...

There's one FA on Regina's site now, at a 'mere' 450 Euros :yikes:

Don Marquis

Excellent review and nice pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I like the material. I've never seen anything like it. I think the 6k is the gold content. I'm surprised that 6k gold is so gold in colour. Nice review.