The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Martini Blue Sky LE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:07

1. Appearance & Design 9.5/10 – This is a very pretty pen; see pics below. It is similar to my Bexley Sheherazade, except a lighter, more tanslucent shade of pale blue resin with embedded silver-foil flakes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

2. Construction & Quality 9/10 – As I only got it yesterday, too soon to say, really, but it is of good Bexley-quality, evrything looks and feels well-made and fits together neatly.
The silver coloured trim appears better than some I have seen on other Bexleys. The clip is marked "6K" ....I don't know what that means!?

3. Weight & Dimensions 9/10 – Just right in size for me: 13.4 mm capped, 12.5 uncapped and about the same thickness as a CS Wellington or Duro.
It is very light....I prefer slightly more 'substantial' pens, so just a point off for that.

4. Nib & Performance 10/10 What's still to be said about Bexley 18K stubs? Just about perfect. :)
This one has, despite the photo's appearance a silver-coloured plating (Pd or Pt, one assumes.
It is moderately wet, about 6-7 on Richard B's scale, I'd say, depending on the paper.
See writing example, on white card, using Diamine Sapphire:

Posted Image

5. Filling System & Maintenance 9.5/10 - As previously said, it's too soon to evaluate long-term performance and reliability.
It is one of those rather rare creatures, a Bexley piston-filler.
Thanks to the translucent body it's easy to check on ink contents. Its capacity doesn't appear as large as some piston-fillers, but certainly more than a c/c.

6. Cost & Value 7/10 – I bought it from Regina Martini's auction site ....as often seems to be the case, mine was the only bid!
It cost 181Euros ($259), including tax and delivered to Spain, so it was not inexpensive, IMO.
However, I am very pleased with it and think it's good VFM compared with, say, 'real' Bexley LEs.

7. Conclusion: Final score, 54/60 - This is a very pretty pen, appearing to be of of the best of Bexley's quality, a lovely writer with a relatively rare piston-filler. It is, I think, a 'keeper' :)
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Sponsored Content

#2 pilgrim

pilgrim

1P/Halley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:38

I watched this auction; good price, nice pen. glad to hear that you are satisfied. according to writing sample the nib is really excellent.

your review intrigued me for Bexley pens, any recommendation? (I prefer OS classic pens like mb149, pel 1000 ...)

#3 ampatb

ampatb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:52

I've had one of these pens for about one year. All I can say is I love it.

AMP

Edited by ampatb, 30 December 2009 - 17:53.

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:19

very nice :thumbup: :clap1: if I ever see one at a penshow I will buy it for sure. thanks for the review
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 cakibler

cakibler

WET INK BEHIND THE EARS

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:41

The 6K on the clip is the gold content. The Blue Sky is a nice pen. I got one directly from Regina as well. It is about the least expensive of all her custom Martini pens. My resembles my Bexley Sheherazade very closely. Definitely a keeper

Edited by cakibler, 01 January 2010 - 11:43.

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 15:14

The 6K on the clip is the gold content. The Blue Sky is a nice pen. I got one directly from Regina as well. It is about the least expensive of all her custom Martini pens. My resembles my Bexley Sheherazade very closely. Definitely a keeper

Yes, I guessed 'gold content', but have/had never seen anything marked as being less than 9K ....

Incidentally, I don't think anything having less than 50% gold content should be described as 'gold'... this clip is presumably mostly silver.
To be fair to this maker, I haven't seen it described as 'gold' .... just making a general point, which I think is what the law requires in many European countries.
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#7 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 15:43

I, too, have this pen and completely agree with your review. A definite keeper!!!

#8 pilgrim

pilgrim

1P/Halley

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 17:24

just closed an auction for another on ebay.de. it vent for 161€, unfortunately not to me :(

#9 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 18:48

Beautiful pen and great review. I've had the fortune to see the pen "in flesh" and is stunning. Nice pics, Rogerb.

#10 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2010 - 15:26

There's one FA on Regina's site now, at a 'mere' 450 Euros :yikes:

#11 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:38

Excellent review and nice pen, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#12 shaqin93

shaqin93

Awesome!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:59

I like the material. I've never seen anything like it. I think the 6k is the gold content. I'm surprised that 6k gold is so gold in colour. Nice review.

Sponsored Content

|