The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Pro Color 500 Red

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thefsb

thefsb

Flexed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 20:58

First Impressions - 1/10

Shocking! The color is appalling and the feel of quality is entirely absent. 1 point for packaging.

Appearance & Design - 3/10

The color of the pen is repellant. Red is my second favorite color after orange so I was excited to get a red Sailor. But this is not really red -- too pale and not quite red red. I don't know quite how to describe it. It's like pink tending towards blue. Hideous. The shape is classic MB style, which I like so it gets 3 points for that.

Ironically, the color looks much, much better in these photos. The background is a photographer's 18% grey card to let you check the color balance, if you like.

Construction & Quality - 4/10

The pen is made form what feels like low grade plastic. Ordinary ballpoints from the office supply cabinet feel as good as or better than this. The Parker Jotter feels like a high end pen in comparison. And It's nothing like my Sailor Sapporo which is a nice quality pen with a good feel and seemingly quite different plastics. Very disappointing.

Weight & Dimensions - 5/10

Dimensions are fine but the light weight and feel of the plastic makes it feel flimsy.

Nib & Performance - ?

Because it's being returned, I haven't inked it so I don't know. But I assume it writes great since it's a Sailor.

Filling System & Maintenance - ?

Same issue of no experience with the pen but my Sailor Sapporo has the same c/c parts and it works perfectly.

Cost & Value - 3/10

The pen was bought for me from Swisher who's prices are fair and you can find out what it costs there. It's not an expensive pen but for a steel nib pen I think you can do a lot better with, say, Bexley or Pellikan.

Conclusion (Final score, 16/50)

Bottom line: it's being returned. This is the first disappointment in all of my pen collecting and it's a big one. I'm very fond of Sailor, generally really like their products, and love my Sapporo, which is my #1 user pen (it has an oblique cursive italic nib from John Mottishaw). I would not recommend the Pro Color 500 or gift it. I'd recommend buying only if you've seen and handled it personally or are willing to return it if buying mail order.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2009 - 21:24

Wow, haven't seen such a negative review in a long while! ;)

I like some of the other colors offered, like Wisteria. But I was a little hesitant because of the materials appearance. I thought it might feel too lightweight. And it appears you confirmed my suspicion. Great nibs on these Sailor pens, no doubt. I guess for the price, if you snag one on "that auction site" for about $40, it's not all that bad. But I'd get more pleasure from a pen like the Lamy Vista for less... :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:51

In my opinion, this is a great pen once you ink it. I really like this pen a lot.
A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#4 thefsb

thefsb

Flexed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:11

I've read that apart from the nib, this is the same pen as the colored 1911 Medium Size. Is that true?
Posted Image

#5 agchristie

agchristie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:38

no the pen looks the same but the material of the 1911 is different.
Wish list: Aurora Optima
Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender
Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

#6 tarheel1

tarheel1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2009 - 00:57

I just picked one of these up for a friend as she wanted a red pen with rhodium/silver trim. I dont care for the color. To me it looks like red with a bit of peach mixed in. It is a bit small for my hands but this one does not feel cheap. I tested the nib with some pilot yama-budo and cant describe the feeling. It has a bit of drag but feels smooth just not ice or slick. Not a bad pen and makes me want to get my 1911 in.
WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

#7 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:02

The color in the photo is accurate.
A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#8 Pippin60

Pippin60

Still tilting at windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:07

Great review, but sorry to hear that its such a poor pen or that the one you got was so disappointing but I am curious as to the nib. Personlly I don't like any of the colors available.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

#9 Zaarin

Zaarin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:22

Much as I respect Sailor, it does look a bit like someone took a rolling pin to some chewing gum and slipped their wedding ring over it...

#10 DAYoung

DAYoung

philosopher/author

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:26

It's oddly nice to see a negative review. Thanks, Thefsb.
Damon Young
philosopher & author
OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

Posted Image

#11 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:42

I have two of the ProColors, a Beige Medium and a Green Fine.
I bought the second (Green) one because I was so happy with the first, and wanted a Sailor Fine nibbed pen.
I am happy to carry them when I am out, as they will not be a tragedy if I lose one.

While I still had a 1911M, I could not tell the difference between the 1911M in Medium and the Beige in Medium as far as writing feel.
The ProColors are exactly the same dimensions and weight as a 1911M.
The plastic feels identical with my full-size 1911 and my ProGear, just of a different colour.
The nibs are typical Sailor nibs, very smooth and writing flawlessly out of the box. The only quibble I have is that the Fine nib doesn't write on Credit Card receipt paper, the nib is so fine it digs into the paper. So, when I go out shopping, I now take the Beige with me.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sponsored Content

|