Padrino Demo

Pfhorrest

I purchased this pen from Paradise Pen for around $27 incl. tax. It's a smoke grey demonstrator C/C filler with a stainless steel nib. The brand seems to be obscure, since it's been around since 2001 and I have just now heard of it. :roflmho: The pen was released a few weeks ago, however.

This is my first demonstrator, and I must say I quite like the appearance of a translucent fountain pen! Externally the design resembles the Lamy Safari. (I'll make a comparison review soon.)

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00324-1.jpg

Appearance and Design: 7/10

I think that this design imitates the Lamy Safari. I won't go deep into it here but it's obvious that the Padrino Demo took desirable elements from the Safari and dispensed with some not-so-desirable ones. The thin, stainless clip clips quite easily to a pocket, shirt or pants, the barrel is of a smoke grey, translucent polymer that allows viewing of the nib and cartridge, and the only logos are the etched "Padrino" on the cap opposite the clip and a "P" on the top of the cap.

Construction and Quality: 9/10

The polymer used to assemble this pen is top notch. It's not lightweight and is quite thick, and the surface is unmarred and free of dents and unevenness. The clip is made of high-grade stainless steel which, although not spring loaded, is quite strong. The grip section is also made of high-grade steel, and is very heavy and substantial. All threaded parts come together precisely. However, there is a slight amount of play between the cap and the barrel when the cap is screwed in tightly - this knocked off a point.

Weight and Dimentions: 7/10

The weight is great - not uncomfortably light (cough.. Parker 21) nor cumbersomely heavy - and the length is the same as a Safari. It's a bit thinner than the Safari, however, so there's a bit of discomfort in the web of my hand after about an hour of writing. I never intend to use this pen for long periods of time, but there it is.

Nib and Performance: 8/10

What a great nib. It's a stainless nib with a clear plastic feed marked 2, the code for "Medium" as I understand it. The nib lays down a smooth, rich line that's just wet enough to saturate the paper underneath the nib. It's generously tipped, which is automatic high marks for the customization options, but it's already very good. Wide sweet spot, good at a 45 degree angle, et al.

Filling System: 4/10

I tried to use the converter, but it leaked upon first fill. For a pen so well-built, this kind of crappiness in the converter is suprising. It's made of very flimsy plastic, with the piston being a single rubber cone. However, I think a cartridge suits the demonstrator better than the converter does, and holds a lot of ink (standard international long). By the way, short international cartridges do not fit in this pen.

It's also interesting to see there are ridges within the barrel that hold the cartridge firmly in place.

Cost and Value: 9/10

For a pen that is overall better than the Safari, for just $7 more, I think it is a great value. The only negative in this department is the crappy converter which for some might make this a cartridge only pen.

Overall Score: 45/60

It's a new design, and I really like it. Highly reccomend to those who want a good, inexpensive demonstrator.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00321.jpg

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Motomo

• Pfhorrest

• ABMaranzano

Top Posters In This Topic

I have on of these that I picked up on whim but it is the clear plastic. I would agree with most of your review it is a nice weight and size pen and does lay down a nice wet line and has a wide sweet spot for writing.

Thanks for the heads up since I have only used the converter so far (did not have any issues such as yours) but did not realize that I would need long international cartridges.

For the $25 bucks I paid for it I am satisfied.

Now I am looking at one of their gunmetal pens that have the same nib

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

• 1 year later...

I just picked one of this in clear at Paradise Pen La Cantera in SA. I bought it on an impulse since my TWSBI has not come in yet. I wanted a pen like now and my wife limited the funds to ink money only, since I order 3 pens already tjis week. I agree the pen does not feel cheap, the only thing that makes it seem no so keen to me is the metal section. But it is not an ugly section either. I agree the nib is quit nice for a $25 dollar pen. The cap is also threaded not a pull-off which gives it to me a little more class. Also, they had a 15% sale on all fountain pens so I got it for about $23 with tax. The grey one is nicer though, I regret not getting that one instead. It really looks quiet impressive and the box it comes with is also very pretty.

Good Review Pfhorrest, sorry I revived this old thread, maybe I should do my own review about the pen!