Jinhao Commemorative, Taizong

vans4444

I bought this Jinhao for £6.00 delivered and I was so impressed with the packaging that I thought I would post some pictures. So this is a bit like a review of the packaging rather than the pen.

However, it is a heavy pen, 144mm capped by perhaps 14mm in diameter. If I could identify the model I would happily review the pen if anyone is interested. It is a very smooth writer, almost completely silent on the page. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Now Identified as a Jinhao Commemorative, Taizong (thanks jlepens).

It came in a cardboard box with a photo of the famous terracotta figures and inside the box is this lovely wooden box with Chinese characters impressed in the lid. Inside the wooden box is a little bamboo mat that also has Chinese characters and a picture of a man. The little booklet shows the Jinhao range of pens and there are also a couple of little cards. Opening the cardboard box released a wonderful wood and polish smell. The box is will made, the lid fits very well using unseen magnets to hold the lid securely closed

My wife wants the box for storing unnamed small things. This could get ugly.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/JinhaoBox6.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/JinhaoBox7.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/JinhaoBox5.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/JinhaoBox8.jpg

Edited by vans4444

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vans4444

• richardandtracy

• jkrewalk

• rwilsonedn

I got a gold speckled Jinhao 1200 in an identical box for my youngest daughter's birthday. It made her feel so special to have such expensive looking packaging and pen. She adores it - but without using it - it's too precious to her. I paid a fair bit more than you (just under £25), but reckon I got a bargain.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

...My wife wants the box for storing unnamed small things. This could get ugly.

Umm, why?

Just get her another for herself...

Regards,

Richard.

Good idea. The seller was based in the UK rather than China. I noticed the pen a few minutes before the end of the auction and nobody had bid. Hence the low price.

I might start a new thread asking what is the best pen packaging ever. :)

"I might start a new thread asking what is the best pen packaging ever. :) "

You might have already ended the thread about the best packing ever ...

ron

I own the same pen - Just received it the other day and I LOVE it. I continue to be extremely impressed with not only Jinhao but also many other of the Chinese pens made in Shanghai lately.

After many years of collecting expensive pens and being disappointing numerous times by their performance I have recently turned to the Chinese brands. I have not been let down by these pens - they write perfectly the first time out of the box (which is more than I can say for many expensive pens) and their barrels have also been impressive. In fact, I was in a local pen store today and saw an Omas with orange and black veined barrel that is identical to my Haolilai that I paid 30.00 for (compare that to the huge pricetag of the Omas)!!! The Haolilai comes with a beautiful 14K solid gold nib and writes like a dream - smooth as butter!

Most of the Chinese brands are centered in the great manufacturing region of Shanghai and they have learned how to mass produce a perfect writing nib (not unlike the great vintage Parkers and Sheaffers of old. Those companies include Duke, Fuliwen, Jinhao, Haollai and many others.

One of the pens I bought "just for a laugh" because it was so cheap - 5.00 - is a Bauer that is a Mont Blanc Starwalker knock off. Would you believe it is actually one of the best writers I have ever used?? Yes - I am impressed with Chinese quality.

Another "plus" is that these pens are beautiful and really turn heads at the office! Since most of the population has no idea as to whether they are looking at a Omas or a Haolilai, they are impressed with the style and beauty. I know many pen enthusiasts snub their noses at the Chinese pens just because they are inexpensive but, frankly, those that do should consider taking another good look at what you get for the quality.

I keep my pens in mahogany pen cabinets and have two trays devoted to the Chinese brands. Sometimes I open the trays, look at my beautiful Chinese pens and find myself smiling thinking about the literally thousands of dollars I am saving by buying and using these pens as opposed to their expensive European counterparts!

I will be buying more soon.......

John

Krewalk.com

congrats! where did you get it for that price? i've been wanting to get that pen, but i've seen it for about $30 with shipping.

With all the talk of Jinhao, I succumbed and bought one yesterday from a seller in China - £7.99 delivered. It is a pretty plain black model unlike this lovely pen reviewed above and does not have the lovely packaging either but I thought "Why not? It will make a nice highlighter if nothing else."

I will be off air over Christmas but will let you know what it is like when it is delivered (approx 2 weeks or so).

But if I knew of a source of the Taizong for £6, I'd buy a dozen - truly! Great gifts!!

Chris

congrats! where did you get it for that price? i've been wanting to get that pen, but i've seen it for about $30 with shipping.

The source was a UK eBay seller. She seems to normally sell cloths but had a few new Chinese pens for sale. There was only one of these Jinhao's for sale and she used a type of SMS abbreviations in the heading. I noticed the picture of the pen by chance just a few minutes from the end of the auction. Since then I have tried to find others with the same packaging but cannot see one for less than £30 often more. The pen on it's own is cheaper.

I have three other Jinhao pens. The X750 is a great pen, the X450 not so good, the Missile is OK. This one certainly seems to have been made with a little more care than the others. From the smoothness of the nib I would not be surprised if it had a little work before it left the factory. Even the converter is better made than others I have seen in Chinese pens.

I have boought several Jinhao pens and found them to be both beautiful and very good writers. So far I have bought

from US sellers like the websites of HisNib and ISellpens. Does anyone here have any good hints on how to buy them

from China instead -- the website of the Jinhao company does not facilitate any ordering!?

Jon R

Jon R

Sweden

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

WOOOW! Look at that packaging! I'll have to buy one.. Probably the long march... notworthy1.gif

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

WOOOW! Look at that packaging! I'll have to buy one.. Probably the long march... notworthy1.gif

I have a few of the Jinhao Commemoratives. The Chinese Red Army Long March is my favourite of those. Amongst other things, it is one of the very few Chinese pens that has a proper screw on cap. It also isn't as heavy as the other commemoratives.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

One of the questions that comes up quite regularly is "which pens make the best investment?". And the answer is usually "none of them". I think this sort of commemorative might come close. Over the long term, I think they might well hold their value quite well.

And I just want to add my voice to the discussion of the nibs on Haolilai. I agree - I have 4 including 2 in the under $5 price range and they are wonderfully smooth. The ubiqitous black with gold flecks thing they sell for around $20 is a very impressive pen.

Cool box.

I went to isellpens to check out their Jinhao pens. I would snap one up but I am just NOT a fan of those blingy pens. I'm still tempted to buy one just to get the box :headsmack:

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• 8 years later...

I got a gold speckled Jinhao 1200 in an identical box for my youngest daughter's birthday. It made her feel so special to have such expensive looking packaging and pen. She adores it - but without using it - it's too precious to her. I paid a fair bit more than you (just under £25), but reckon I got a bargain.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard oneill again , looking at the price you paid for this pen I think someone is ripping you off,I have always promoted pens which are sold by E-bay