Stipula Passaporto

Dan Carmell

The "Liberty Green" Passaporto was a limited production pen Stipula made and released at the Philadelphia Pen Show this year. As you can see, I have the last pen in the production run, number 100/100. Not sure if you could still buy one or not, there were a few others on the shelf when I left the show. I'm sorry I forget the company that sold them, but maybe someone else who was at the show could remember who it was. It was the booth right next to the Visconti booth on the entrance wall, the company who had the large amount of inks and cartridges as well. Its a great pen for green ink! The Private Reserve Spearmint is a good match.

We have a couple of the lower numbered pens left! Check em out on our site!

Bert

Bert

Bertram's Inkwell

Based in Kensington, MD since 1985

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• gteague

• orangeaurora

• agchristie

Hello all you very knowledgable f p people. My clear Passaporto does not have threads on the barrel for posting the cap. I know that some of the passaportos do, is it just the transparents that lack the threads?

Hello all you very knowledgable f p people. My clear Passaporto does not have threads on the barrel for posting the cap. I know that some of the passaportos do, is it just the transparents that lack the threads?

I don't have mine here at work, but if I remember correctly, "threads" (plural) is a bit of an overstatement -- I'm pretty sure it just has a "thread" (almost just a raised ridge) on the end of the barrel that just catches the threads inside the cap -- are there threads inside the cap? I know it's very tricky for me to make sure I screw it on correctly -- very easy to cross thread (and it's the *only* pen I post the cap on -- gives it a nicer length for writing with). But mine's not a transparent one, so maybe yours is different...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

Just dug mine out and there are only 2 threads on the end of the barrel -- almost doesn't look threaded but it is (only about 1/4 turn of threading to post the cap). I also found this thread, which has a picture of the same Fahrney's ebonite LE version that I have -- you can see how little thread there is on the end of the barrel. There are also pictures of a clear one on the thread, and it actually has *more* threads on it. All that being said, I just looked at some pictures on the web of some new clear ones, and they sure looked threadless to me....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

The new ones are threadless. Also, they now have metal threads at the section. On the end of the pen there is just a little ridge to secure the cap. It actually works quite well, and, unlike earlier versions, cannot get cross-threaded.

http://www.pengallery.com/products/6567.gif

(photo from Pen Gallery)

I have a FPH 2010 LE Cognac and it has a threaded barrel for posting which takes one full revolution to post. For the longest time I had a difficult time posting it because it was inclined to cross-thread. After a year and four months of daily use I no longer have to concentrate on alignment when posting it. I rarely, however, allow anyone else post the cap, certainly not unsupervised.

It's funny but I'm finding that I think of this pen as more personal than any other pen I own, kind of in the same category as, say, my wallet or my glasses.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Bert has the new lime yellow Passaporto in (called the Miami Sunrise). Its a pretty sweet little pen to add to your collection of passaportos. They aren't on his site (I'm not sure why) but I have heard that they can be found on ebay. I personally got mine in store, so if you give em a call, I'm sure they can order you one over the phone.

Hope this helps!

Tyler

The Passaporto 15 Giardino has metal threads too, even if its barrel is transparent. (Well, not really transparent, it's fumè)

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/IMMAGINI/Passaporto15aperta.jpg

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/IMMAGINI/Passaporto15years.jpg

The Number 15 is due to the celebration of my 15th anniversary of e-commerce, as many of you already know. :thumbup:

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

• 6 months later...

My order of the Stipula Passaporto from www.pengallery.com just arrived. Two words entered my mind as I opened the disproportionately big red box that it came in: nifty and small. As the name implies, it also made me want to pack up, bring my passport and travel to some far away place, ride the orient express and scribble down the entire journey on a small notebook. My version of the Passaporto is the demonstrator.

http://alanmfontanilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120224-181645.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have received for my birthday two wonderful fountain pens, a Pilot Vanishing Point and a Stipula Passaporto (yes, I am extremely happy!). However, I have been told that the Passaporto came from eBay and the seller, apparently, didn't give any information other than "Medium steel nib". Since I can't find any other pen exactly like this one on the Internet, I would love to know the name of that color, the year it has been made, etc. I have noticed that Fahrneys had one ebonite Passaporto that looked a little bit like mine (except that I don't think mine is ebonite... But how can you tell?), and the one in Mick's photos look a lot like mine, except that mine has more threads at the end of the barrel for posting the cap and it doesn't seem to be a LE because it doesn't have any number on the barrel. So... Can someone help me identify this little beauty?

Thanks!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/11/0f/a6/110fa63bbfbb5f3b0bd1386330e5d028.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/99/18/8b/99188b7158b90e567cb442a9b2233d49.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/90/9a/23/909a23d742047592c71e5edf1b6192fa.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/07/f1/4c/07f14ce296d5581f151a0725e5d384ab.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3d/9f/5b/3d9f5b576adb081490e61af7c0bf4a29.jpg

Lovely Passaporte, and with the threading for posting as well.

Is it really ebonite? or is it plastic with a woodgrain pattern? If plastic, be aware that it is thin in places. Do not drop it and keep it well protected (not banging about in a purse or pocket)

The Passaportes indeed came with steel nibs of good quality. I have two of their italic-stubs, myself

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I don't think mine is ebonite -- but I am not sure that I really know how to tell plastic from ebonite. But I'm almost sure this one is plastic with a woodgrain pattern, as you said (and yes, I'll be careful not to drop it!).

I was wondering if there is a name for that specific color because I can't find others exactly like this one on the internet...

I don't think mine is ebonite -- but I am not sure that I really know how to tell plastic from ebonite. But I'm almost sure this one is plastic with a woodgrain pattern, as you said (and yes, I'll be careful not to drop it!).

I was wondering if there is a name for that specific color because I can't find others exactly like this one on the internet...

You can find out by rubbing the material gently until it is warm, then smelling it. If it smells a bit like burnt rubber, it's hard rubber.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thank you Dillon for this suggestion: I can now confirm that my Passaporto is made of plastic.

I saw that you wrote a post on Passaporto variations (1st and 2nd generations). I think mine is a first generation -- do you agree?

• 1 year later...

I have a blue demonstrator that I loved, but recently, unscrewing the cap, it broke. I got it on sale from Fountain Pen Hospital, with box & all. I don't know if they would honor a warranty, or if I will have to deal with Stipula/Yafa. Anyone have experience with stuff like this?

I did love the steel nib, slightly flexible & with the cap screwed on the back was good enough for my big boy hands.

Well, you could actually ask FPH. That would get you an answer. :P

I have a feeling you'll be dealing with Yafa for repair, though.

• 1 month later...

I just got an Early passaporto, judging by its threads for posting and more defined section, in transparent green with a black cap. It doesn't have engraving on it. Does anyone know about this color scheme? I haven't found anything on it.

EDIT: It looks like the liberty green edition, but without the engraving.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

• 8 months later...

Thanks to all of you Passaporto enthusiasts. I've enjoyed reading this thread and hearing all of your thoughts and seeing the photos too.

While it is difficult to find the Passaportos now, yesterday I discovered that Fountain Pen Hospital has the demonstrators in stock (clear, red, and blue). The price is much lower than anything I've seen at the auction house, even with shipping.

When I called to ask about the nibs, it seems that they only have F or M nibs in stock. I'm looking around for an italic nib now in hopes that I can change out the nib.

I also asked them about availability and they said that I didn't need to worry about them running out before I decided; indicating that they have some in stock and that it's not the end of the stock.

I look forward to a clear demonstrator Passaporto being in my hands soon.

• 8 months later...

A Lazarus thread, late to the party!

I've had a Massdrop Passporto that I want to finally ink up but have concerns about eyedropper use. My only experience with eyedropper pens has been the Platinum Preppy which was very susceptible to "burping" from temperature change. The pen would be in my basement office at about 65˚, as soon as I picked it up it would start to warm up, the air inside the body would expand and a blob popped from the nib. I finally went with some of the cheap converters they have for these pens, no more problem, I assume, because of the air space between the body wall and the converter acted as a buffer and the air inside the converter didn't expand.

The Passporto seems like it might suffer from the same problem of heat transfer and expansion when use as an eydropper but I have not read too much about it here.

Do they ever burp, especially when full up?

thanks,

Rob

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.