The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Custom "esterbrook"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:47

I have been admiring custom pens for a few years.

I finally got my own this year! I present the
“Apple Estie”, A custom pen with an Esterbrook J section.

I had been playing with this idea all year. I posed the idea to Chris Hughes (Appleman) back in the summer. He told me it would be feasible to make this pen. He just needed a section! The whole idea was to have a pen where the nib could be changed.

I finally took the plunge about a month ago. At the beginning of November, I shipped an Estie J section up to Chris. He made the pen, and the turn around was less than two weeks! It took longer for this pen to arrive in the states, than the time it took for me to ship the section, and Chris to make it! (Two weeks in transit!)

Needless to say, I LOVE THIS PEN! It will be part of my daily rotation for many days to come! It has become my favorite Esterbrook! A squeeze-filler (P21?) has been utilized as the filling mechanism, and it works great!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Sponsored Content

#2 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:21

Beautiful pen! How much was the customization? Just curious.
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#3 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 17:21

Beautiful pen! How much was the customization? Just curious.

Depends on the customization. It can cost less if you are interested in using vintage parts, and you provide them yourself (ie sections). Appleman is a member here, and many of his completed pens are available for purchase. View his profile/PM him for more information.

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

facelogo.png

#4 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 17:32

Was the section modified to make it easier to get to the squeeze filler, or do you have to wiggle the section out of the barrel each time you fill? Or has such removal been made easier with how the barrel was made?

Very neat pen, I have been thinking of customizing a pen with estie parts, yet still keeping it a lever filler(my favorite filling system!).

Edited by JakobS, 16 December 2009 - 17:33.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#5 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 19:11

Was the section modified to make it easier to get to the squeeze filler, or do you have to wiggle the section out of the barrel each time you fill? Or has such removal been made easier with how the barrel was made?

Very neat pen, I have been thinking of customizing a pen with estie parts, yet still keeping it a lever filler(my favorite filling system!).

Hello Jakob!

Yes, the section was modified (threaded).
Here is a link to see the process/progress:

http://www.activeboa...opicID=32364577

facelogo.png

#6 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 20:16

Wow, that's the ultimate section for me, threaded and can take renew points!! Very neat, have been peeking in and out of the pen turning section since I have been here looking at Appleman's work, he has made a lot of interesting pens!
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#7 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 20:46

Nice idea, putting an Esterbrook section in another pen body so you can benefit from the swappable nibs. :thumbup:

The images are a bit blurry... would be great if you could get a hold of a better camera and take some close-up shots in focus. :)

Posted Image

Edited by MYU, 16 December 2009 - 20:47.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#8 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2009 - 21:28

Frank:

Great idea and a great pen. Hope you will enjoy it for a long time.

--Doc
Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#9 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

• 1,715 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:36

Thanks to all of you for your positive feedback!!

Frank

facelogo.png

Sponsored Content

|