Silicon Grease

Scrawler

For whatever it's worth, the product sold by Tryphon is likely the Permatex 91003 -- they list their grease as containing PTFE, and the Permatex is the only silicone grease with PTFE that I'm aware of. BTW, I've used this stuff in the past -- of all things, for assembling rocket motors. It's very slick, and a little goes a very long way (if you're greasing an O-ring in a pen, you want just enough to make the ring shiny, not enough that you can actually see the grease). The only place you'd want enough of it to see the actual grease is if you're using it as the only sealant in the threads of an eyedropper converted pen.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• ZeissIkon

• mge01park

• Kelly G

More information about Silicone Grease for eyedropper pens.

I have been talking to manufacturers about the use of Silicone Grease in fountain pens, and have identified most of the materials that pens are likely to be made of. I have materials compatibility charts for greases and various plastics, celluose acetate, poly carbonates etc.

The people at Superlube have identified two greases for me that they recommend for this application. the first one is the Dielectric grease (91003) I mentioned above. They have also suggested Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (92003) as having excellent compatibility with polycarbonates, such as some of the cheaper eyedropper pens are made of, and cellulose acetate as some older more expensive pens are made of. The only materials that this product must not be used with are Butyl Rubber and Silicone Rubber.

In addition Superlube Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease can also be used. This is a "Food Grade" synthetic NLGI grade 2 heavy-duty, multipurpose lubricant with PTFE. It is compatible with most other lubricants and will not run, drip, evaporate or form gummy deposits, and will not melt or separate. The advantage of this grease is that it is available in a 1cc package and a half ounce tube, so you do not have to buy several life times supply at once. This product was specifically recommended by the manufacturer for the use in eyedropper pens.

Edited by Scrawler

There was a small tube of silicon grease with automatic Saeco coffee machine I purchased for its O rings! So, that may be another way to go:roflmho::roflmho:

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add a little bit of info to the person above that said silicone grease is available from Maplins in the UK. It's a 50g tube (enough to last you a few years!) available at £3.99 and is made by Servisol. The catalogue number is RE90X: it's out of stock on the website but should be available in stores (my local branch had a couple when I bought mine).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

For those of you who are interested, Syntco, who makes Super Lube, has a compatibility chart. The only product that is compatible with about everything else is the silicone/dialectric grease, listed all of the way to the right. Only two items have "issues" with the silicone grease. The other two products have many more materials with which they will not work.

I talked with one of their application engineers today, and one of the things touched on was celluloid. He did say that he has no clue how it would react with celluloid - though it is safe for cellulose acetate. Seems that it's a bit "esoteric." ;)

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Radio Shack sells a small tube of silicone grease they call Heatsink grease. Anyone familiar with it or have any opinions on how it would work on an eyedropper?

Thanks,

Greg

Radio Shack sells a small tube of silicone grease they call Heatsink grease. Anyone familiar with it or have any opinions on how it would work on an eyedropper?

Thanks,

Greg

It's been previously suggested that heat sink grease, aka thermal grease, is a bad choice for pens. The grease contains solids that will act as abrasives when a piston moves inside the barrel, and and is optimized for thermal conductivity rather than for chemical inertness or compatibility.

For the curious, this is from the MSDS of the stuff you get at Lowes in the plumbing department:

Gunk Plumber’s Silicone Grease GR2V

CAS # 63148-62-9 Dimethyl Polysiloxane 60.0 - 100.0

CAS # 7631-86-9 Silica, amorphous 7.0 - 13.0

CAS # 70131-67-8 Demethyl siloxane, hydroxy-terminated 7.0 - 13.0

( Gunk MSDS )

As compared to:

Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease/Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant & Sealant

CAS # 63148-62-9 Polydimethylsiloxane > 60.0

CAS # 70131-67-8 Dimethyl siloxane, hydroxy-terminated 5.0 - 10.0

( Dow MSDS )

Clearco is the best, as has been pointed out. This from their site:

Clearco Silicone Greases (Silicone Compounds) are formulated with 100% polydimethylsiloxane (CAS # 63148-62-9) and inert silica filler.

( Clearco Product Details )

Now, maybe you folks in the know can answer this for me: the Gunk product from Lowes seems very close to the Dow products (as far as ingredients). Is it that small difference in the percentage of the CAS # 70131-67-8 ingredient that makes it no good for our purposes? I ask because I have some, but I'll pick up something else if need be.

Thanks for all the great info!

For the curious, this is from the MSDS of the stuff you get at Lowes in the plumbing department:

( Gunk MSDS )

As compared to:

( Dow MSDS )

Clearco Silicone Greases (Silicone Compounds) are formulated with 100% polydimethylsiloxane (CAS # 63148-62-9) and inert silica filler.

Now, maybe you folks in the know can answer this for me: the Gunk product from Lowes seems very close to the Dow products (as far as ingredients). Is it that small difference in the percentage of the CAS # 70131-67-8 ingredient that makes it no good for our purposes? I ask because I have some, but I'll pick up something else if need be.

That is very interesting. As far as I can tell it will mean that it is mildly thinner in consistency and nothing else.

• 1 month later...

( Gunk MSDS )

As compared to:

( Dow MSDS )

The ingredients in the first 2 are indeed the same, with only a slight difference in chemical naming. If one is safe for pens, the other is too.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Or find a dive shop. They sell it for regulators/o-rings.

Along those lines I use McNett's Silicone Grease which they say is 100% pure. Probably not the cheapest, but it was the easiest I could find that was 100% pure -- from the comfort of my own computer no less. ;) I tried locally but couldn't find anything 100%, and the nearest dive shop was over an hour's drive away.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Just got enough 100% silicone grease for a couple hundred pens from Pendemonium for $3. It's at the very top of the Pen Repair Supplies section, before the orange shellac.

Also in the Marketplace section: Repair Supplies

Edited by freehand

OP: I got some silicone grease from a diving store in my area when I needed to modify a mechanical keyboard. If you want I can buy it for you. Let me know.

Thanks for that post, going to get some here in Florida, it should be easy. I have bought from other sources small amounts for fairly high prices plus shipping. McNett's seems reasonable and high quality.

Or find a dive shop. They sell it for regulators/o-rings.

Along those lines I use McNett's Silicone Grease which they say is 100% pure. Probably not the cheapest, but it was the easiest I could find that was 100% pure -- from the comfort of my own computer no less. ;) I tried locally but couldn't find anything 100%, and the nearest dive shop was over an hour's drive away.

• 3 months later...

To resurrect a thread I found using the 'search' feature.

I know now where to get it reading these posts, but can I liberally apply the silicone to all the threads on the pen?

- e.g. is it safe on the interior threads of the cap to make it twist smoother? Or can I can apply it to the blind end piston screw threads ad lib?

And would one use silicone to lubricate a piston filler (e.g. unscrew nib, add small amount with a toothpick to piston end inside barrel) regularly?

Just wondering what is the best way to keep all my pens in top shape :)

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I bought a little jar from shopwritersbloc.com for $3.00. Your shipping costs to Canada will be the killer but you could always add in other supplies from them (thats what I did).

Another almost universal source: any automotive store. The little packet near the counter (normally) of "bulb grease" or "lightbulb grease" is just silicon grease. As mentioned above, it's just a dielectric grease.

-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4954883548_bb6177bea0_m.jpghttp://www.clubtuzki.com/sites/default/files/icon24.gifhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/5152062692_8037fd369c_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5152115656_e8d75849f1_t.jpg

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

I know now where to get it reading these posts, but can I liberally apply the silicone to all the threads on the pen?

- e.g. is it safe on the interior threads of the cap to make it twist smoother? Or can I can apply it to the blind end piston screw threads ad lib?

And would one use silicone to lubricate a piston filler (e.g. unscrew nib, add small amount with a toothpick to piston end inside barrel) regularly?

I'd avoid greasing cap threads; the lubrication might make it easier to overtighten the cap, which can crack the cap lip, damage the inner cap, or (in some caps with little clearance) ram the tip of the nib into the end of the inner cap or tassie, damaging the nib. The blind cap threads won't benefit by lubrication, either; you want those to have some friction so the blind cap stays on when the pen isn't being filled. The piston threads themselves and piston seal in a piston filler, and the barrel threads of an eyedropper filler, are the places where silicone grease is most useful; for piston fillers, you generally want just enough grease to make the part shiny, while in an eyedropper's barrel threads you want enough that a tiny bit squeezes out when you close the pen (that ensures the threads are filled, which is what blocked in from working out through the threads, especially in pens with no O-ring).

Another almost universal source: any automotive store. The little packet near the counter (normally) of "bulb grease" or "lightbulb grease" is just silicon grease. As mentioned above, it's just a dielectric grease.

The automotive dielectric grease isn't always "just" silicone. Some of it might be OK depending on the brand, but as a general rule I would avoid it for pen use.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm a bit late on this thread, but may I recommend high vacuum grease as used in vacuum systems? It is inert, will not outgas and is usually high purity. Dow Chemical makes some as do a number of other companies. Not cheap, but the quality is first - class.