The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Allure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cotangens

cotangens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 17:02

Waterman Allure

My first review. And I think it is the first review of the Allure.
I was in a need for a new, cheap pen so I went to my local dealer. I didn't like the Phileas so he showed me the new Waterman Allure. The first impression was good, the pen is very heavy and looks interesting.

As you can see on the pictures, the body looks like marble. I had to choose between a green and red pen, but I was attracted by the red one. The pen is lacquered, so it is very smooth.

Construction & Quality (8)

The pen is very heavy compared to a Pelikan M200 almost the weight of my Lamy Studio, which is made of aluminium.
On the black handle there are two small burrs (correct word?) like on all cheap pens. Overall quality is good.

Weight & Dimensions (9)

Very heavy as I mentioned above, I don't have a weighting machine.
Length: 13,7 cm with cap
12,53 cm without cap
11 mm diameter

Nib & Performance (8)

One thing, why i bought this pen was the nib. My local dealer told me, the nib is a rather high priced nib, which is sold with other pens at a price around 80€. Steel nib. It writes very smooth. Mine is an F nib. Like all my other steel nibs it is rather stiff.

Filling System & Maintenance (9)

Normal waterman cartidge filling system, I bought a converter. (Waterman Florida Blue)
Nothing special here.

Cost & Value (10)

I payed 33€ at my local dealer.

Conclusion (Final score [52/6]: 8,6666)

Would I buy it again? Definitly yes.

Pictures:
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

My other pens :puddle:
Posted Image
Lamy Studio - 3x Ballograf - Waterman Phileas - Elysee - Pelikan M200 - 2x Parker - Kobold - Sheaffer Snorkel Special - Sheaffer PFM 5 - Lamy Persona

Sponsored Content

#2 spotted and speckled

spotted and speckled

Miami, Florida

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2009 - 17:23

I have an older blue one--this is the pen that made me fall in love with fountain pens. Nuff said.
Much Love--Virginia

#3 aloofy

aloofy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:22

Thanks for the nice review. I have a blue Allure and a Graduate(basically the same pen with Allure-only the finishing is different, I guess). Glad to see its detailed review on FPN.

I've grown a special love for this pen. (It was a gift from a friend who visited Paris - in my country no penshop deals with 'low-end' lines of Waterman.) A decent writer, quite durable, and the price is reasonable.. and I'm quite satisfied with its looking. :) I even like its heaviness; gives the pen somewhat *serious* feeling, I think..
Because lies sound so nice
and like soil to seed
it goes to casting my fears aside...
- BT, 'Satellite'

#4 PlumixAllure

PlumixAllure

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2012 - 14:12

[font="Impact"]Hi, I have a silver Allure, with the exact grip and cap, etc. The only thing I find with this pen is that it stops and needs a little blank writing before the ink comes out. Is this normal?

#5 PlumixAllure

PlumixAllure

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:13

Got the silver one. It's really good for the price, slim and modern. Nothing to heavy, just everyday use. BUY ONE!

#6 vcb003104

vcb003104

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:11

I just got one of those,
Wondering if it is possible to remove the nib/feed section from the section?

#7 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:19

Nice review, nice pen. The price was right. The nibs on these budget modern watermans are quite smooth, whenever i find one cheap, i try to buy it- only fine nibs, because they run wide.

#8 plumeau

plumeau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 13:46

I really prefer the M nib and choose a smoother nib (dip the pen to test it before buy it).
In waterman,  lamy, and parker  all nib M are differents, so for me I choose a smooth one without baby bottom. I think the quality control is low in all brand. In one box of nibs you have same good and same bad for the same size, but F nibs are mores scratchy in general.

#9 Odysseus

Odysseus

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:53

You paid too much for such a cheap pen; these can be had for € 10 /15.

They are good writers, though...

Sponsored Content

|