new to this by inheritance (parker snake, mont blancs, pelikans, etc)

osunathan624

Hello and welcome to the forum. Somehow I'd missed this topic, so I'm glad I chose to look at it now. What a wonderful collection of pens you've inherited, the sort of thing many of us would dream of owning.

If you have a look at some of the models that people have identified then pop over to the Fountain Pen Reviews section, it's all nicely indexed so you should be able to find reviews that people have posted for a good number of the pens that you have there.http://lh4.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVa7BjWqaI/AAAAAAAABUs/hLnQQ-zkyGg/s800/PC130836.JPG

In case anyone hasn't said already, the hard rubber pens like the orange and black Waterman in the photo above are susceptible to fading from UV, so make sure you pack those away somewhere dark.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbBNqAqwI/AAAAAAAABU4/iJL62VfpJxg/s800/PC130839.JPG

I'm waiting for someone to come along and identify the little green and purple pen because I think it looks gorgeous. Also, what's the case next to it?

With all the labels and you saying they were in a display case I wonder if all of these were kept as an uninked collection.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• osunathan624

• Scrawler

• Carrie

• Ghost Plane

speaking of...

what pen is this (the one on the right)?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbSl_GdSI/AAAAAAAABVw/v3YhLUz-r9s/s800/PC130852.JPG

i haven't been able to find any info on it.

Put on some white cotton gloves and carefully uncap it and photograph the nib in as fine detail as you can manage, and post it here.

If you're talking about the far right, that's a Yard o Led Standard Victorian. Nice collection!

Hi Nathan?

So much niceness in all these photos it's hard to get a grasp of the collection you've inherited.

It will really help tremendously if you could show photos of the pens with the caps off and the clips showing in the photo.

A little more coffee and I'll do my best to help you identify as many as I can.

There are some very very nice pens in your collection.

Good for you!

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

My goodness, what a fabulous collection to inherit. I can only echo the advice of others, take it easy, and don't press the pen nib to paper.

Welcome to the world of writing that is a pleasure. I've also spotted that you have a green marbled Parker Duofold International. Nice pen, but then I would say that as I own one.

Whatever you do, just don't rush into a decision. Take the time to enjoy your new found addiction (believe me, pens are an addiction).

What a delightful collection! Seems to have been collected by someone like me, who doesn't focus on a particular brand or era, but just accumulates neat pens...

Trying not to repeat what's already been said...

Unless you are not urgently in need of funds, I would take things slow. VERY slow. Like, I would spend a LONG time discovering what you have here. You have an AMAZING collection, and I would not rush this. If you find that you like fountain pens, this collection could change your life. If you would prefer rollerballs and ballpoints (which is FINE, honestly), it would still be a good idea to take a lot of time to learn all about each of these pens to get the most out of them, funds-wise. Many of these pens deserve to be investigated and sold as individual treasures. FPN is a great resource for this. As you spend time in the various forums here, you will see...

If you intend to sell and not keep, I would also spend some time getting your photography skills (and equipment, like a light tent) in tip top shape. You'll get more money (possibly from a lot of us!!!!) with great photos. Writing samples should only be endeavored if you are comfortable with writing with fountain pens (if not, take a pass - if you are used to ballpoints, you could damage the nib - the writing tip of the pen that delivers ink to the paper - by applying too much pressure). DON'T try to clean or polish or take apart ANYTHING unless you are sure about what you are doing. In your efforts to "polish something up" or even do what seems minor, you could do damage and lose value. Learn as MUCH as you can. In addition to FPN, I have found that Richard Binder's site is brilliant for newbies. Here is the link (go to the reference pages and just starting reading...).

And, yes, we ALL want to hear the blow by blow of how this progresses - with photos. If you post pens on eBay, let us know in the Market Place forum with a post and include a link to your auction. Some of us may bid. We all love fountain pens here, and your collection offers a lot of joy to us, even just to look at the lovely photos.

And finally...

Welcome!!!!

:W2FPN:

+1

You have a lovely collection there. Take your time, don't rush, and DON'T PRESS DOWN HARD. Nice fountain pens like these will slide over the page floating on the ink. Some of those pens come with wonderful warranties - for example that Yard o Led Victorian [the fancy silver pen with the ornate carving] so if they need anything from sitting so long, it's only the charge to send it in for repair and you'll get back a beautifully overhauled pen. :thumbup:

I suspect most of yours will write perfectly first time because of the loving care obviously lavished on them :thumbup:

Thank you all for the loads of information and resources!

Just an update: these are no longer for sale.

I've been practicing with one of her cheap pens i found, don't worry its not the parker snake! haha its a varsity, only 20 bucks or so.

O and yes nearly all of these pens have no ink in them or any trace that there was ever any ink in them.

excuse my newness but... what are nibs?

and how do i know what fits my writing style?

matter of fact, the only real pens that i stretch on are buying the uniball pens at target. :-/

this is ALL new to me.

@professionaldilettante: originally yes it was mostly going to be sold, like i said they were just pens to me i had no idea what an amazing collection this is. don't worry though, this stuff is growing on me and ill definitely be keeping most if not all of them (she has a lot of modern watermans and whatnot that i might sell).

You were left with a wonderful collection. I can see that you might not want to keep all of the pens, but perhaps several will really grab you and you'll want to use them. I'm glad you're making the effort to find out what you have and what they're worth.

I'm very fond of Parker pens and the Big Red duofolds are causing me to whimper. They look in beautiful condition. :cloud9:

Good luck to you. :)

I'm late to the party, but let me add my opinion that you've been left a fine lot of pens. Even though you don't know that much about fp's you've been getting some good advice.

I would echo those who advise to go slowly. Read the information on Richard's site along with David Nishimura's site - he has an especially good article for fp newbie's on what not to do with a fp.

One bit of advice I've not seen in the posts above is, don't soak any pen in water until you are sure of the material and construction of the pen. Pens made from casein based plastic will be ruined by soaking in water (I learned that one the hard way).

Also, don't entertain any offers from well meaning folks wanting to help you out by buying some of your pens - at least not until you are good and ready. Most everyone in this obsession hobby is above board, but there are notable exceptions.

You have a very fine collection of pens and I can tell you from experience that there is nothing quite like writing with a fp that belonged to a family member or friend.

Hang out around here long enough and you will learn more than you care to know about all things fountain pen.

Good luck and have fun!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

To tell the truth, I've never seen so many collector's hard-to-find most desirable treasures ever, in such super-abundant quantity. If I were you, I'd quit my job and open a FP shop.

If you ever consider to sell anything - and I mean anything! - out of your collection, please keep me on your distribution list. And if you decide to open a real store, let me know, I'll fly in for the opening.

I am speachless,yikes.gif

Rita

P.S. Why did I ever open this topic. Now, I will not be able to sleep at night...

"Fountain Pens Past&Present" by Paul Erano (around $15 on Amazon.com) will give you the price for almost all of your pens. For example, that Yard-O-Led's Victorian hand-engraved pen is estimated as $500 there.

"Fountain Pens Past&Present" by Paul Erano (around $15 on Amazon.com)

OOOOOOOOOOPS! I swear I paid that price two years ago. Now, the new hardcover is $160, and used start from $23. Buy it for $23, it's worth it.

Thank you all for the loads of information and resources!

Just an update: these are no longer for sale.

I've been practicing with one of her cheap pens i found, don't worry its not the parker snake! haha its a varsity, only 20 bucks or so.

O and yes nearly all of these pens have no ink in them or any trace that there was ever any ink in them.

Your benefactrix must have been a person of quality and taste who cared a great deal for you, to bequeath such a treasure. I am glad to know that you are no longer simply thinking of them as currency. These are objects of art and of historical value. You have been entrusted with something that represents the values and personality of the collector. You have been given good advice in this column. If you do not have pressing debt, then slowly learn about each of these pens. One day you will fall in love with one of them and it will become yours, personally. When that happens a bit of your personality will become imbued into it and it will become more than just a pen. Each time that you hold it, and write or sign with it, a bit of you will have been added to it.

• 2 weeks later...

a little update: unfortunately by order of the state we are going to have to start selling some of these (she owes more than she has and she's sitting on around 20-30 thousand in pens...)

can i get some advice on selling them to you guys or to dealers? are there reputable dealers out there that won't rip me off (i know they will to some extent, they need to make money somehow on their resale)?

is there a peak time to sell or buy, is the market ok to sell now (not that i have any choice)?

i know presentation is everything. we have a very nice dslr camera to take these fine pics.

we have started with a few and are going to see how this goes.

thanks again guys.

just as an fyi for you lurkers:

starting out with the

--aurora ipsilon

--aurora optima cobalt blue fp

--waterman l'etalon

--pelikan toledo m910 black

--pelikan 1935 LE no 234/1935

i know these really mean nothing without pics, so once i gather the right info from the state and how to go about selling these i'll post pictures.

again, thank you.

Edited by osunathan624

While I haven't been a part of this community for long, I do know that the price of pans hasn't really changed all that much in the past 2-3 years (in general), so now would probably be as good a time as any to sell them. You shouldn't have too much trouble selling with people here, i have found that this is one of the more trustworthy corners of the internet. That said, others will be able to give you far more detailes and (undoubtedly) useful information than I can.

This is my honest opinion, as I have nowhere near enough money to buy these for myself. I truly wish you the best of luck.

More of a lurker than a poster.

Daily Writers:

- Charcoal Lamy Safari (EF) - Filled with Aurora Blue

- Waterman Phileas (EF) - Filled with Noodler's HOD

can i get some advice on selling them to you guys or to dealers? are there reputable dealers out there that won't rip me off (i know they will to some extent, they need to make money somehow on their resale)?

Check out the Marketplace forum. I can think of a few members that often have consignment sales who are also actually part of this online community (as opposed to just here as sellers), and they seem to be very well regarded. I've never dealt with them personally (so I won't throw out any names), but I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them simply because of the reputation they've built here. Browse through the for sale threads and look for the consignment sales, click back to the member profile and see where they post beyond the Marketplace. I'm confident you'll find some trustworthy people to at least start making enquiries with.

Ryan.

Edited by drifting

Sorry to hear you're having to sell some of the pens. Ryan's suggestion sounds good, do a search on consignment in the Marketplace and you'll easily find some of our established members who do consignment sales on here. People like Bryant, Doc Nib and Andy immediately spring to mind, although there's others as well. Maybe someone will be along to also suggest dealers in the States too, especially if people had a clue whereabouts you are.

A lot of high end stuff does seem to be moving well in the Marketplace. The only thing I'd wonder about is post-Christmas are some people going to reel back on their spending?

If you've got a good DSLR you shouldn't have a problem with photos, particularly if you've got a macro lens, you may even be able to find some advice in the Photography forum about setting up good pen shots. People will like to see a good photo of the nib in a sales post and know the nib size too.

It is very unfortunate that you have to break up that collection, and I am very sorry that you are obliged to sell them. Sadly my financial situation does not allow me to bid on nay of them, much as I would like to. I suggest that you go to eBay and follow the sales of fountain pens and see what they go for. There are a number of vendors on there who appear to be highly regarded and there are people waiting to pounce on their wares. You should look at what they have for sale and compare the items with yours, then follow those items and see what they end up going for. That will give you some clues as to what you should ask, then armed with this information, you should go to the marketplace section of this forum, and in the For Sale section offer your pens. Personally, I would be distraught at having to sell a number of the items that you have.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Somehow I'd missed this topic, so I'm glad I chose to look at it now. What a wonderful collection of pens you've inherited, the sort of thing many of us would dream of owning.

If you have a look at some of the models that people have identified then pop over to the Fountain Pen Reviews section, it's all nicely indexed so you should be able to find reviews that people have posted for a good number of the pens that you have there.http://lh4.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVa7BjWqaI/AAAAAAAABUs/hLnQQ-zkyGg/s800/PC130836.JPG

In case anyone hasn't said already, the hard rubber pens like the orange and black Waterman in the photo above are susceptible to fading from UV, so make sure you pack those away somewhere dark.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbBNqAqwI/AAAAAAAABU4/iJL62VfpJxg/s800/PC130839.JPG

I'm waiting for someone to come along and identify the little green and purple pen because I think it looks gorgeous. Also, what's the case next to it?

With all the labels and you saying they were in a display case I wonder if all of these were kept as an uninked collection.