new to this by inheritance (parker snake, mont blancs, pelikans, etc)

osunathan624

just to give you people an idea of what i've gotten myself into:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbm0kaXXI/AAAAAAAABXI/w_BdwcKkE0Q/s800/PC130872.JPG

and thats not even half the table.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• osunathan624

• Scrawler

• Carrie

• Ghost Plane

I would recommend using only the modern pens for starters. It's plenty easy to damage a fountain pen if you don't know what you're doing. Some of those old pens could be quite rare and there's no point in breaking anything.

That's a very nice collection and if you want it could be something you could really cherish. One great place to start would be to get a few books on the history of fountain pens. Also look at websites. David Nishimura's

http://www.vintagepens.com/index.shtml

is an excellent starting point. Pens are great writing instruments but they are also great as a little window into history, design, style, etc.

Another thing: go to pen shows, if at all possible. That is a great place to see lots of pens and talk to experts and get a feel for the history.

You have some very nice modern pens - the Edson and the modern Parker Duofolds for starters. Learn to work with those for starters, then you can explore from there.

Only fill with fountain pen ink, never any kind of India ink or wierd artist's acrylic or anything like that. Parker Quink or Waterman's ink or Private Reserve etc. etc.

Only keep ink in pens that you are using at least once a week or so. Depends on the pen. It will get feisty if it isn't used enough. Don't get mad at the pen. If it is too much trouble, just empty the ink, flush several times with water to get 98% of the ink out, then dry a bit with tissue, and set the pen aside. I keep about 3 pens inked... hmmm, I guess it's four, and that fourth is at risk, I may have to flush it!

Have fun!

SfA2F91.jpg

I was thinking about the different ways that fountain pens can get ruined...

Drop the pen, especially if it lands on the nib.

Push too hard when writing and bend the nib.

Mishandle a lever somehow - force it with a hardened sac.

Let ink dry inside, especially india ink or acrylic.

Step on the pen or drop something on it, crush it somehow.

Pull off a threaded cap.

Clips can get flexed beyond their elastic limit so they're no longer tight against the cap.

Clean the pen with a wierd solvent like alcohol or acetone - somehow just dissolve the pen.

Leave the pen in a hot place so it melts, or someplace with toxic fumes. Even just in sunlight.

SfA2F91.jpg

Holy Mother Load Batman!

Sorry my 3yr old is hung up on Batman right now.

That is an awsome starter set!

You can find a ton of information right here. It just takes a little time to process it all. If you can't find the info on a pen you are looking for post a shot of the pen in the forum best suited to it and ask. There are also lots of web sites with loads of info to learn from.

Welcome to FPN.

if you want a quick but comprehensive introduction to fountain pens, you might want to get a copy of andreas lambrou's encyclopedic Fountain Pens of the World. it's huge and not cheap, but it's profusely illustrated and should answer most of your questions. see here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Pens-World-Andreas-Lambrou/dp/0302006680

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/613MXS4414L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

Such a waste... I hope that by the time I die, I would have found someone to appreciate my pens, instead of becoming a mere dollar sign. A beautiful collection though.

+1

This must be years worth of careful collecting.

It seems you have the honor of an unannounced family treasure. I'm excited to see your discovery progress and though I'm not an expert (yet!) I'm happy to encourage/assist any way I can.

I too am a newbie to the collection aspect of fountain-pens... I came into this by playing with writing styles and techniques (particularly learning to refine my day-to-day cursive, rather than artistic calligraphy). As others have mentioned, you would do well to try writing with a fountain pen.

Do you write much by hand on a day-to-day basis? Do you print or use cursive? Or both? Maybe you keep a journal?

In any of these cases, you could experiment with a fountain pen... my cursive was hideous before I started with fountain pens, and now that I'm paying attention to the act/art of writing, my style has improved and I'm regularly complimented, even on simply office notes!

Another idea just hit me... maybe pick up a nice little blank-book journal (I'd recommend spiral bound so it can lay flat), then use one of the newer pens to start a hand-written inventory of what you have... maybe a page-per-brand, noting what the tags say, what you discover on-line etc. Then you'll have a handy reference _and_ get some writing practice in!

Best of luck and welcome to FPN!

-Thomas

Le verbe aimer est difficile à conjuger: son passé n'est pas simple, son présent n'est qu'indicatif, et son futur est toujours conditionnel.

- Jean Cocteau

excuse my newness but... what are nibs?

and how do i know what fits my writing style?

matter of fact, the only real pens that i stretch on are buying the uniball pens at target. :-/

this is ALL new to me.

@professionaldilettante: originally yes it was mostly going to be sold, like i said they were just pens to me i had no idea what an amazing collection this is. don't worry though, this stuff is growing on me and ill definitely be keeping most if not all of them (she has a lot of modern watermans and whatnot that i might sell).

Do you buy extra-fine, fine, medium or broad Uniballs?

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

excuse my newness but... what are nibs?

and how do i know what fits my writing style?

matter of fact, the only real pens that i stretch on are buying the uniball pens at target. :-/

this is ALL new to me.

@professionaldilettante: originally yes it was mostly going to be sold, like i said they were just pens to me i had no idea what an amazing collection this is. don't worry though, this stuff is growing on me and ill definitely be keeping most if not all of them (she has a lot of modern watermans and whatnot that i might sell).

I'm glad that they are growing on you. You've got something rare, at least in my eyes, pens with an actual personal history. Even if I went and bought used pens, you can't replicate the "been in the family" feeling. You'll know what fits your style if you like what comes from the tip, if it's smooth and what you're looking for. Don't worry about rough writers though, it may just take a different ink, as all your pens look excellent. The thing with fountain pens that differ from ballpoints is that they have their own personality. The joy is in coaxing out a fine writing experience from these pens, so, unless you're really strapped for space or room, you might as well hold on to them and write with each and every one of them. A "pen a day" post/blog would be an excellant idea. I know that with some pens, if you sell it, you may not find them in the same condition. Wish you the best, what ever you choose to do,

-pd

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

i like extra fine/medium uniballs, i really dont like the wide lines.

Then you're probably going to end up preferring the Fine or Extra-Fine nibbed pens. However the only way to really find out is to invest in a bottle of ink (assuming you didn't inherit any of that as well, in which case you should check that there is no stuff floating in the ink) and try out each pen seperately. That is, of course, assuming that you want to use the pens to write with, however keeping the collection as a 'look, dont touch' collection is understandable too. If you do test them out, naturally you are looking for a pen that feels comfortable and balanced in your hand, and writes with a level of smoothness that you find pleasing, but above all be gentle when you test them out. Fountain pens should need little to no pressure to put ink on the page.

Edited by thomasdav

More of a lurker than a poster.

Daily Writers:

- Charcoal Lamy Safari (EF) - Filled with Aurora Blue

- Waterman Phileas (EF) - Filled with Noodler's HOD

My apologies for a response to what seemed was a post focused on selling the pens. I would hold on to them, without finding the price. If you learn how to use one, and try each on, you'd know how much each one is worth. Hopefully in such a process, you'd be able appreciate them more, but just to sell them all, that would be a lost history and waste. Welcome to FPN, and I hope that this inheritance is just merely a door opening for you.

I agree. There is every thing I have hoped to write with here.

superb collection :puddle: :rolleyes: :drool: Ask any questions if you have to. People will be here to assist and help you. :W2FPN:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Um... Would you be so kind as to put me in your will??? Please!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Um... Would you be so kind as to put me in your will??? Please!!

LOL by the look of your avatar, it would seem you have enough already.

lol im still learning guys, and i know i have some nice pens but you guys seem like i've landed on the jackpot of pens...

speaking of...

what pen is this (the one on the right)?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbSl_GdSI/AAAAAAAABVw/v3YhLUz-r9s/s800/PC130852.JPG

i haven't been able to find any info on it.

What a delightful collection! Seems to have been collected by someone like me, who doesn't focus on a particular brand or era, but just accumulates neat pens...

Trying not to repeat what's already been said...

Unless you are not urgently in need of funds, I would take things slow. VERY slow. Like, I would spend a LONG time discovering what you have here. You have an AMAZING collection, and I would not rush this. If you find that you like fountain pens, this collection could change your life. If you would prefer rollerballs and ballpoints (which is FINE, honestly), it would still be a good idea to take a lot of time to learn all about each of these pens to get the most out of them, funds-wise. Many of these pens deserve to be investigated and sold as individual treasures. FPN is a great resource for this. As you spend time in the various forums here, you will see...

If you intend to sell and not keep, I would also spend some time getting your photography skills (and equipment, like a light tent) in tip top shape. You'll get more money (possibly from a lot of us!!!!) with great photos. Writing samples should only be endeavored if you are comfortable with writing with fountain pens (if not, take a pass - if you are used to ballpoints, you could damage the nib - the writing tip of the pen that delivers ink to the paper - by applying too much pressure). DON'T try to clean or polish or take apart ANYTHING unless you are sure about what you are doing. In your efforts to "polish something up" or even do what seems minor, you could do damage and lose value. Learn as MUCH as you can. In addition to FPN, I have found that Richard Binder's site is brilliant for newbies. Here is the link (go to the reference pages and just starting reading...).

And, yes, we ALL want to hear the blow by blow of how this progresses - with photos. If you post pens on eBay, let us know in the Market Place forum with a post and include a link to your auction. Some of us may bid. We all love fountain pens here, and your collection offers a lot of joy to us, even just to look at the lovely photos.

And finally...

Welcome!!!!

:W2FPN:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

lol im still learning guys, and i know i have some nice pens but you guys seem like i've landed on the jackpot of pens...

You have

speaking of...

what pen is this (the one on the right)?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PyTF5_iBRFk/SyVbSl_GdSI/AAAAAAAABVw/v3YhLUz-r9s/s800/PC130852.JPG

i haven't been able to find any info on it.

Put on some white cotton gloves and carefully uncap it and photograph the nib in as fine detail as you can manage, and post it here.