The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

OHTO Tasche FF-10T

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vans4444

vans4444

a stranger in a strange pen land

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 17:39

OHTO Tasche Fountain Pen FF-10T

This is just a short review.

An interesting modern take on the old Japanese “long short” (or is it short long?) pen design.

I know nothing of the make OHTO but I understand the pens are made in Japan. The retailer says the company was established in 1929.

First Impression

Well designs, good proportions with a high gloss sheen. The pen is delivered in a simple transparent tube without any paperwork.

Appearance and finish

The pen is made of aluminium, finished in metallic blue lacquer with a silver clip. Firm in the hand, nothing is loose. When in place the cap is stiff and need quite a pull to remove it. Extended the barrel is in natural aluminium with the section in a satin finish. Posted the extra long cap fits snugly.

Design/Size/Weight

According to the retailer the pen is 98mm closed, 145mm open, 10mm in diameter and weighs 20g. For comparison I have photographed the pen next to two other pens with a similar design concept. The top silver pen is a Jinhao Missile pen; capped it is about the same length as the FF-10T but posted it is about 130mm, 15mm shorter. For my large hands, those 15mm are important. The FF-10T feels more comfortable and sits better in my hand.

The bottom black and silver pen is a Pilot extendable. Capped it is slightly longer than the FF-10T but posted it is the same length. Being slightly wider it feels more comfortable to use for extended periods than the FF-10T.

The FF-10T is a great pen for sitting in the bottom of a pocket or bag or any place where space is at a premium.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib

A German made steel nib. I thought it odd that a pen that has “Japan” printed on it has a German nib? The web site notes that the nibs are supplied by Schmidt. In any event the nib is a smooth medium writer that is pleasant to use.

At the start of this review it was not my intention to compare the performance of the three pens but as I have got this far I will note that the FF-10T nib much better than the Jinhao, but that is to be expected. I understand the nib on the Pilot extendable is the same as was used in their Capless model of the time and is superb. Of the three, the Pilot would certainly be my first choice. It is a great little pen.

Posted Image

Filling System

The pen takes short international cartridges. There is no space in the barrel for a second spare cartridge.

Cost/Value

It cost £16.00 including postage from Cult Pens. The matching pencil is also £16.00. I think this is a reasonable price for the pen.

Overall

I like the FF-10T. It is well made well designed and a good nib. However, I think it is a niche design. For day to day use I prefer one of my full size pens. But if I am not wearing a jacket this can be slipped safely inside my jeans pocket.

Sponsored Content

#2 shaqin93

shaqin93

Awesome!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 18:03

Thanks for the review. I think I might have one of these pens somewhere, because it looks familiar.
I don't think the nib is Herman, though. Aren't most Iridium Point Germany nibs made in China?

#3 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 18:05

Nice review and comparison, vans!

I have a black one of the OHTO Tasches, bought it at Kinokuniya in Japantown (San Francisco). They sell them from a cup on the counter (that is, no packaging).

This is a really cool little pen with a smooth steel nib. Eminently portable.

If I remember, I paid USD16.50 (+tax) for mine. Well worth it.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#4 ddchef

ddchef

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 22:40

Nice review! Still searching for a good pen to buy ~

Sponsored Content

|