Montblanc 149 vs Sailor KOP (King Of Pen)

goodguy

well..officially it isnt actually..that goes to the new zzr1400...actually the kawasaki zx12 is genuinely faster than a boggo standard mk1 hayabusa...although it has a childs clutch..useless...

ours we run at about 300bhp ( we dont run her on the road..its specifically for flat out miles on airfields...so it's sort of a race bike ) ...it has potential for 450bhp..but ours is a tiddler compared to the big boys who are upwards of 1000bhp!! but you need serious money for that...they are knockin on the door of 280+ over a standing mile...

we also have the world wheelie championships at elvington...i think the record stands at over 180mph for a standing mile...mad isn't it..i'm just a pit jockey..am afraid i dont have the cahoonas to give it a go....yet ;-)

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beurling

• goodguy

• wspohn

• georges zaslavsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well..officially it isnt actually..that goes to the new zzr1400...actually the kawasaki zx12 is genuinely faster than a boggo standard mk1 hayabusa...although it has a childs clutch..useless...

ours we run at about 300bhp ( we dont run her on the road..its specifically for flat out miles on airfields...so it's sort of a race bike ) ...it has potential for 450bhp..but ours is a tiddler compared to the big boys who are upwards of 1000bhp!! but you need serious money for that...they are knockin on the door of 280+ over a standing mile...

we also have the world wheelie championships at elvington...i think the record stands at over 180mph for a standing mile...mad isn't it..i'm just a pit jockey..am afraid i dont have the cahoonas to give it a go....yet ;-)

All my life I loved speed and while being more of a car nut I loved and respected bikes but I knew if I ever get on one I will kill myself so I didnt even got a bike license.

Now with kids and a mortgauge my speeding time is over but my heart still leeps when I see sports bikes and cars :cloud9:

Respect to all

All my life I loved speed and while being more of a car nut I loved and respected bikes but I knew if I ever get on one I will kill myself so I didnt even got a bike license.

Now with kids and a mortgauge my speeding time is over but my heart still leeps when I see sports bikes and cars :cloud9:

my best mate was killed on a bike..i had a 100mph head on that should have killed me..i ride very slowly nowadays....to be honest i love anything with an engine...i find them intoxicating and as long as i have breath in my body i will never give them up...a bit like fountain pens in some ways :)

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

i love anything with an engine...i find them intoxicating and as long as i have breath in my body i will never give them up...a bit like fountain pens in some ways :)

I think we share many things in common.

Yeh I just ordered a new SUV here in Canada and I should get it in 3 months, you can imagine I am walking on cloud 9 and is as impatient as if I am waiting to a grail pen in the mail.

Time always seem to slow down when you are waiting for something.

What about watches, you like them too ?

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Georges, you really have to start working on that reading comprehension a bit, and stop repeating what you'd like a post to have said rather than what it really did say "

No one here has said anything even vaguely resembling "to say a piston MB filler is a bad pen" Where on Earth did you dig that up?

Let's try this again (or go back to my post and try reading it all over again more carefully, whichever you prefer). I SAID: Sailor KOP offers a better nib choice than MB, but MB looks nicer (to me) than the current KOP, although it would be a closer contest with the original KOP which in fact look quite a bit like a MB in the first place.

I decline to waste any more time debating your statement about filling systems - if filler systems is where it is at for you, good for you. For me, I assess how a pen looks and how well it writes and consider how it fills last or not at all. Different strokes.

Oh, and if you can find anywhere where I, or anyone else stated that the 149 was a 'bad pen' you just get back to us on that, OK? If it is there, I sure missed it.

My writing comprehension is fine. You said before in that same thread:

"yeah, that's where the Sailor surpasses the Montblanc - in choice of nibs, many of them just delightful to write with (I have a King Eagle that is really unique).

OTOH, I prefer the look of the MB, although the original KOP would give the MB more of a run".

Because MB choices of nibs isn't enough good? Sure it doesn't have king cobra, naginata togi or eagle specialities nib but it has extremely good quality nibs that are hard to fault. Take a 60-early 80's MB 149 and you will see who surpasses who in terms of nib. Older MB 149s beat the KOP hands down.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

i love anything with an engine...i find them intoxicating and as long as i have breath in my body i will never give them up...a bit like fountain pens in some ways :)

Yeh I just ordered a new SUV here in Canada and I should get it in 3 months, you can imagine I am walking on cloud 9 and is as impatient as if I am waiting to a grail pen in the mail.

Nice to be among car nuts even if one of them is hijacking his own pen thread....:thumbup:

If you like high reving engines here's one of mine (slightly lower output than the on I have in my car). PS - I also collect watches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KLSmeAXUHU

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

sweet indeed...love the wheels on it...suit it perfectly!!!

i was just saying to somebody the other day kids nowadays couldnt drive without their electronics...i learnt in rear wheel drive cars that you were never sure you were going to get home alive in..proper cars :)

You are British so you might know what car I learned to drive on (here in North America they never heard of this car).

Peogeot 504 with a 1.8L engine and a manual stick.

Ohhh those were the days when cars were made of metal, oil and rubber unlike today its make of chips and electronics.

My first car was a crappy Autobianchi with a tiny little engine with no power and TONS of fun to drive.

After that I had an Alfa Sud 1351cc Ti which was as much fun to drive as it was unreliable.

Today's cars might be safer and much more reliable but they are half the fun at the most!!!

The peugot 504 was a poor quality car, it used to rust easily and its engine was a bad quality one as it is the case on any french cars. The golden era of french cars were the 20-late 40's with names like Delage, Delahaye, Hispano Suiza, Voisin and the 60's with Facel Vega. Italian cars like the autobianchi and the alfasud were poor quality cars and unreliable rustbuckets.

If I wanted to buy a good car I would stick to 1957-1971 American Detroit good old big block powered cars or an older audi a8-s8, w126-w140 s class or a 1989-1997 bmw 750il.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice to be among car nuts even if one of them is hijacking his own pen thread....:thumbup:

If you like high reving engines here's one of mine (slightly lower output than the on I have in my car). PS - I also collect watches!

Now that is a bit good!!!!! i too am also partial to nice watches...it must be a disease that permiates us...being a drug addict would be cheapy than all this ..lol

Now thats an engine :drool:

And yes Bill I know you collect Omega watches, we talked about it in the past.

Today I have a nice little collection of

Omega Planet Ocean Chrono

IWC Aquatimer Chrono 44mm

Ulysse Nardine Marine Diver Maxi 43mm

Panerai 104

Ball "Dad Cow"

Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium

sweet indeed...love the wheels on it...suit it perfectly!!!

i was just saying to somebody the other day kids nowadays couldnt drive without their electronics...i learnt in rear wheel drive cars that you were never sure you were going to get home alive in..proper cars :)

You are British so you might know what car I learned to drive on (here in North America they never heard of this car).

Peogeot 504 with a 1.8L engine and a manual stick.

Ohhh those were the days when cars were made of metal, oil and rubber unlike today its make of chips and electronics.

My first car was a crappy Autobianchi with a tiny little engine with no power and TONS of fun to drive.

After that I had an Alfa Sud 1351cc Ti which was as much fun to drive as it was unreliable.

Today's cars might be safer and much more reliable but they are half the fun at the most!!!

The peugot 504 was a poor quality car, it used to rust easily and its engine was a bad quality one as it is the case on any french cars. The golden era of french cars were the 20-late 40's with names like Delage, Delahaye, Hispano Suiza, Voisin and the 60's with Facel Vega. Italian cars like the autobianchi and the alfasud were poor quality cars and unreliable rustbuckets.

If I wanted to buy a good car I would stick to 1957-1971 American Detroit good old big block powered cars or an older audi a8-s8, w126-w140 s class or a 1989-1997 bmw 750il.

You are disrespecting old Italian cars ?

Them are fighting words mister :headsmack:

Yes they were unreliable and rusty but Soo much fun to drive :cloud9:

From that era I would want the Alfa Romeo GTV 6 which is my avatar :notworthy1:

Oh and the 504 was a shity car but I didnt buy it, it was the car my driving instuctor used to teach me how to drive.

The 305, 404, 505, 504 were all crappy cars but icons of the 60's and 70's just like the DS was of earlier times.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

You are disrespecting old Italian cars ?

Them are fighting words mister :headsmack:

Yes they were unreliable and rusty but Soo much fun to drive :cloud9:

From that era I would want the Alfa Romeo GTV 6 which is my avatar :notworthy1:

Oh and the 504 was a shity car but I didnt buy it, it was the car my driving instuctor used to teach me how to drive.

The 305, 404, 505, 504 were all crappy cars but icons of the 60's and 70's just like the DS was of earlier times.

I don't disrespect old italian cars because I do like the older maserati, lamborghini and ferrari even if they can't be used as daily drivers as opposed to a porsche 911 or a porsche 968 and that they need an extremely meticulous follow up and maintenance. The DS and the SM had a whole batch of innovations that allowed them to handle better but be safer on the road as well.

to be honest i am not really a man..nobody is a true man unless they have owned an old alfa or a lancia..

my god such style..you can forgive them falling into a rusty mess in a bucket for their magnificent design and charm...

i have had a few corvettes and used an old 57 T-Bird in Salmon pink...

but i hope to one day own a maserati! both old and new....yummy.

Would love an Omega watch but way out of my price range...most expensive watches I have are a Citizen Eco drive and a Seiko....Japanese efficiency and quality without the flair..although i am a big fan of citizen and seiko watches....i would love to be able to own an omega...

to be honest i am not really a man..nobody is a true man unless they have owned an old alfa or a lancia..

my god such style..you can forgive them falling into a rusty mess in a bucket for their magnificent design and charm...

i have had a few corvettes and used an old 57 T-Bird in Salmon pink...

but i hope to one day own a maserati! both old and new....yummy.

Would love an Omega watch but way out of my price range...most expensive watches I have are a Citizen Eco drive and a Seiko....Japanese efficiency and quality without the flair..although i am a big fan of citizen and seiko watches....i would love to be able to own an omega...

you should look at the vintage omegas which are cheaper than the new ones but also of better quality. check also swiss time services wbesite who is used to sell completely restored and warranted vintage Omega.

I've beaten lots of Alfas oin the track with my MG and TVR race cars - does that count? Never owned an Alfa but certainly appreciate them.

you should look at the vintage omegas which are cheaper than the new ones but also of better quality. check also swiss time services wbesite who is used to sell completely restored and warranted vintage Omega.

Exactly. I love my older Omegas. I have, and use 3 pie pan Constellations from th 60s. Great watches and I didn't pay as much as a new Speedmaster costs for the lot of them!

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

oi you lot..stop giving me more ways to spend money i havent got :crybaby::headsmack::clap1:

• 1 year later...

Wow the KOP nib is huge. I had no idea that it was the same size as a 149. Awesome.

Both use pretty much the largest nibs of any pen I can think of.

I'll add one more - Classic Pens ZJ1 mosaique. I own both the ZJ1 with Binderized XF and a 149 with a particularly sweet factory XF (somehow it came out finer than other XFs I've tried and it hasn't been modified as I bought the 149 new). Here is a pic. post-1985-0-30799900-1365178559.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

Robert Fripp

If you don't care about the filling mechanism, if pistons don't do it for you and the extra ink capacity is not an issue then the KOP is the winner for you as the nib is better on this pen.

If you like piston fillers and/or the extra ink capacity is important the let me assure you even though the KOP nib is better the 149 is still a sweet nib and you will love this pen.

Great review! Thanks for posting it!

It occurs to me that the 21k nib is available on other Sailors with smaller bodies for less money and still a C/C. AND Sailor also came out with the 1911 Realo which gives you a piston filler.

I mean, I understand this review because of the size... just thinking about wheels and deals...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• 1 year later...