Are Mont Blanc Pens worth it

PianoMan14

385 members have voted

1. 1. Are MB Pens worth the money?

• Yes!
    • No--I would never purchase one
    • They are good pens, but overpriced

The last post contradicts itself. Votes yes because of...and then goes on to say that it's all supply and demand stuff. That's just a contorted way of saying that you think MB are great. We knew this topic would fall in the toilet

Thanks

It is unfortunate if you felt this way. I was merely writing down facts which I believed.

1) MBs are high quality pens, well as least the way I judge them, purely on build quality, writing experience etc.

2) Price of commodities bare no relation to the production cost, but rather market demand. If MB can maintain such high price for their pens and not go bankrupt then there must be enough people who think their product was "worth it". I bet not all of them are "brainless" self-image-status conscious fashion sheeps who don't write. I happen to know quite a few people around me, friends et al. who have MBs purely for their quality and joy of writing with a FP. I would love all the people in the world to hate MB pens, so I can pick them up at $20 or less each.

I don't see anything wrong or contradictory on my comments. Perhaps I should have added a point of explanation that in personal view if one loves an item then in essence the item becomes priceless, it does not matter if you paid 1 cent for it or $1,000,000 for it. I like a pen not because it is expensive or less expensive, I like it because I like it. As a student I could definitely not afford a MB, even a vintage one, the one I got and used as a daily writer for many years was a gift. Would I like to have another one? Yes, in the future when I can afford. If MB is charging a new 146 at around $500 range and seems to be doing well with that (unfair for me) price tag, do I complain? No, because this is what market do. If it has to take $500 to get what I want, then so be it, I will save up or work harder. Do I think it is worth it? Yes, for the simple reason that I worked hard to get what I like.

This topic is always going to be highly subjective. I apologise if by writing something positive (such as "that I think MB are great") about an item that I like happened to "offend" someone-else.

Edited by wtlh

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• Pterodactylus

• ethernautrix

• JonSzanto

Silvermink made an exceptionally good point:

Mont Blanc prices for new pens are excessive.

You can find some great used MB pens on FPN's Marketplace (or whatever it's called now) for reasonable prices. I don't have any MB pens but if I ever bought one -- and I may at some point -- I'll buy a used MB in good condition.

All the people who buy other-than-MB because "Oo, I'm not buying into the hype!" think of this: Montblanc's branding and marketing make ALL fountain pens more desirable.

Think of how much other brands' flagship pens cost. Why would anyone pay that much for a PEN?

Hmm....

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Yeah, I'm sure MB go to all the branding etc trouble to make everyone elses pens more desirable

Thanks

Unintended consequences. Halo effect. Your choice.

You're welcome.

etherX in To Miasto

Okay, let me put it this way, might be easier to understand: Montblanc is the gateway drug. Montblanc gets people's attention. "Oo, I'd love to use a pen like that. But I'm not ostentatious! I don't want to call attention to myself or seem to be a status-seeker! What other nice pens are there like that that can I spend hundreds of dollars on? Oh, look at this Pelikan! Surely no one will be the wiser!"

etherX in To Miasto

I'm going to agree with Ethernautrix on this one.

Mont Blanc spends a lot of money on image. They promote the idea that writing with a MB pen makes the writer somehow more elegant or sophisticated or something which we are to presume is desirable.

Although MB isn't promoting the idea that fountain pens are fashionable, all boats rise with the tide.

I think they're worth buying, though they can be pricey new. Used-market prices are mostly reasonable.

Silvermink made an exceptionally good point:

You can find some great used MB pens on FPN's Marketplace (or whatever it's called now) for reasonable prices. I don't have any MB pens but if I ever bought one -- and I may at some point -- I'll buy a used MB in good condition.

I agree, I gotten my MB for a very good price on fleabay. Second hand prices are very reasonable. As for brand new, I still would had paid the full price. It's the experience of the purchase that is worth it.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 w/14c Binder's XXXF- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

I voted yes, because quality wise and the attention to details they are really up among the top. I agree the price is rather high, but price is determined by the market, and has zero relation to the actual cost of production. This applies to all items and services. Do you think an ipod really costs that more to produce than many of its competitors?

I think you should take an introductory economics course.

SHUT THIS DOWN.........it's too much fun. They use resin to keep the cost down. Celluloid would look spectacular but produced as a 149 it would add too much cost to an ordinary production line pen

Thanks.

Edited by MidnightBlue

To me, it's quite simple. Older MBs and secondhand ones are reasonably priced. New or LE MBs aren't.

My opinions on this are contradictory and illogical. As are most human judgments ...

I got a good deal on each of my Montblancs, and they came into my life at a time when I think I was

swayed by the image and status thing. "I am an achiever!" But they also piqued my curiosity and I

discovered the astounding diversity of new and vintage fountain pens.

After a while I felt a little sheepish about buying into the high-life hype, and I tucked the MBs away and never

took them out in public. I didn't want people to think I was "one of them" ... you know, the kind of person

who has to prove their worth by displaying valuables.

But then a funny thing happened. I jumped at a bargain on an Agatha (!!!) not because it was a MB, but because

it was so friggin' cool. And a smooth, reliable writer too. And then I granted parole to the status cigars and gave them another

chance too. And I had to admit that, once I got past my mental baggage about the cringe-worthy MB marketing...

these are truly fine pens! Well made and a joy to write with! "So, polish yerself up, Monty. We're going out tonight!"

Thus I've come full circle, and I am not at all surprised that this is a topic that generates so many complex and

convoluted opinions ... it's not just about the pen, it's about ourselves, our self-image, our love for beautiful

tools that work, and our mixed feelings about our materialistic culture.

They call it an icon ... lightening rod is more like it! But so far I think this particular discussion is generating more

light than heat, and I'm enjoying it.

– MJ

One participant in this thread has a PM waiting.

The OP now knows that this is a contentious subject but we will let it run, if there is any further evidence of "brand-bashing" or rubbishing someone else's opinion then there will be action taken against the transgressor(s).

Thank you for your attention.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I think they are worth it. If they were "too expensive", MB wouldn't sell any and therefore they'd have to reduce the price. As they sell lots, people obviously are happy to pay the retail cost.

Having said the above, if I see one of ebay which is cheaper than what I'd pay in a MB boutique, I would buy it on ebay. This is the same for anything though as a deal is always a deal.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

all my Montblanc pens are qualitative superb writers - so for me, I say YES!

Edited by archie001

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Just my 2 cents -- imho only the vintage celluloid MBs and earlier are worth their cost.

This is pretty much my experience.

My first MB was a MB 14 Meisterstück I got 15 years ago. I love this pen. Until now I got various MBs (32, 22, 24, 14, 252, 342, 220, 121, 114, 1980s 144 and 1980s 146) and am waiting for a 1950s 144. Although the modern MBs are working flawlessly I prefer the vintage pens. All MBs had been preowned and thus the price had been ok. Nevertheless I won't buy another modern MB but I will buy another vintage one if I can find one with a B nib within my price range.

Moderator's note: this has been beaten to death before and it usually ends up in a pointless shouting match. I will let it go on for now, but this will get locked at the first sign of trouble.

From reading the replies already posted, it seems that this topic is more subjective and controversial than I first realized; I doubt I will get any useful information out of the thread. As such I will not be pursuing this topic further.

From now on, I will check thoroughly with the search function to see if the question I have has been 'beaten to death' before; I certainly do not want to resurrect any topics which should be let alone.

If the moderators would like to lock this thread or even delete it; I would be more than happy--it seems it would prevent a shouting match in which everyone gets angry and no one benefits.

Before I leave this thread, I would like to thank Ethernautrix for her gentle correction of a newbie to these forums.

Best,

PianoMan

Edited by PianoMan14

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

They are good pens, but overpriced. Same for Pelikan Souverans, CdAs and GvFCs.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.