Are Mont Blanc Pens worth it

PianoMan14

385 members have voted

1. 1. Are MB Pens worth the money?

• Yes!
    • No--I would never purchase one
    • They are good pens, but overpriced

As I said, it depends on the factors listed in the post.

Even then it's still possible that both are not worth (in the eyes of this specific person).

There is no valid answer for everyone, it's a personal decision only valid for this person, based on this persons personal preferences and judgements.

Even worth, if you be able to find somebody else with similar opinions, it starts over again, saying to each other, yes you are right, we are right, we are the cool guys, look at this fools they are wrong, they don't not share our opinions.

You won't believe it, but there are people which consider everyone as crazy who spend more money on a pen than a Bic Stic costs. ;)

We can discuss this until end of time with no other result. (Valid for each product....maybe we should switch to car brands, this is also every time funny and a never ending story)

Edited by Pterodactylus

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• Pterodactylus

• ethernautrix

• JonSzanto

There is no valid answer for everyone, it's a personal decision only valid for this person, based on this persons personal preferences and judgments.

Yep, that's the truth.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I didn't want to jump in, but. I just don't understand how one can deny that part of a MB price is due to the marketing factors. Hence, as a writing tool (and only as such) it is over priced. That's not saying that other pens are not, amd somepne can find the MB os the perfect tool he needs (regarding comfort, for example). But: an object is never simply an object. Nowadays it's also a sign. So: as a sign, what is a MB, and as such is it over priced? Not so sure.

We could use imagination and ask this question as a helper: if the world would have to keep only pen (or one FP) in production, same price as it costs now(taking away the sign factor), which one would it be? Everything else maybe overpriced .

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I didn't want to jump in, but. I just don't understand how one can deny that part of a MB price is due to the marketing factors. Hence, as a writing tool (and only as such) it is over priced. That's not saying that other pens are not, amd somepne can find the MB os the perfect tool he needs (regarding comfort, for example). But: an object is never simply an object. Nowadays it's also a sign. So: as a sign, what is a MB, and as such is it over priced? Not so sure.

We could use imagination and ask this question as a helper: if the world would have to keep only pen (or one FP) in production, same price as it costs now(taking away the sign factor), which one would it be? Everything else maybe overpriced .

Well, the 149 has survived the longest without any significant changes, and has been in production since 1952. No other pen has that distinction. That alone commands some value. We can say that MB charges for prestige, but then they have been in business for quite long, and their brand is instantly recognizable, like Mercedes is for cars.

Another perspective is that MB is one of the first companies to create the 'high end' segment of FPs, and they've held that position.

I think its better to talk in terms of "value" than "price", because price includes the factor of 'affordability'. The same pen may be cheaper/more expensive for every individual based on where they are located. So for a more balanced discussion, "value" is a better word.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Well,affordability cannot be dismissed. One buy a product marketed as "high segment" because he can afford it.

So the product becomes the sign of what you can pay for an object so un-necessary as a fountain pen (because, let's face it, except for a few professional writers and academicians, it's not a necessity, even for writing). And as a sign (and how this sign is produced is indeed interessting), MB says what it says. Hence my hypothetical question.

This is not saying MB are bad pens, or that it has no history, but only that you cannot talk about price or value without taking the difference between the pen as a sign and the pen as a tool into account (and Bauhaus was all into considering objects as objects and not as signs).

I will try and ask in another way: would you pay that price for the same pen, same quality, but without the flake or any sign it's a MB?

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Well,affordability cannot be dismissed. One buy a product marketed as "high segment" because he can afford it.

So the product becomes the sign of what you can pay for an object so un-necessary as a fountain pen (because, let's face it, except for a few professional writers and academicians, it's not a necessity, even for writing). And as a sign (and how this sign is produced is indeed interessting), MB says what it says. Hence my hypothetical question.

Affordability cannot be dismissed, but the problem is "price" is never fixed, value is.

You can buy a MB second hand, at a much cheaper price. Its value as a brand does not diminish, its price does.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Affordability cannot be dismissed, but the problem is "price" is never fixed, value is.

You can buy a MB second hand, at a much cheaper price. It's value as a brand does not diminish, it's price does.

As long as you stay away from vintage.

I would like one of the precious metal plated pens, or sterling silver. I'll stay away from what I consider the marketing gimmick of 'precious resin' after dropping and breaking one, and hearing too many horror stories of the same.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

I am fine with the pricing of MB pens. I take good care of my fountain pens, especially ones with the higher price tag. It is always easy to go the down market; I have to say MB's marketing acumen and skills to stay in the high-end market are remarkable.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 3 weeks later...

This is not saying MB are bad pens, or that it has no history, but only that you cannot talk about price or value without taking the difference between the pen as a sign and the pen as a tool into account (and Bauhaus was all into considering objects as objects and not as signs).

I will try and ask in another way: would you pay that price for the same pen, same quality, but without the flake or any sign it's a MB?

Anything in the world is pretty much the same way, how much do you think Apple laptops cost? or how much do you think a nakaya truly costs? What about Rolexes? Brand, prestige, research, perceived value, market desirability etc etc always plays a part. You cannot take MB without a flake and sign, its like taking a Ferrari without its logo and saying it is being sold under Toyota, will it cost the same despite being the same car? Of course not.

Truth is that brand, perceived value, desirability, rarity, etc etc, will always play a big role in the eventual cost of things. There is no escaping that..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Also, if you (not pointing out anybody, just saying in general) don't feel the MB price is justified, don't buy it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to make you buy one. If you want it because of the hype/whatever reason, then pay the asking price. Or search online for a second hand or a better ebay deal or something. We don't complain about the costs of a lamborghini do we? Most people accept that it is out of their asking price. If you can afford it, you probably aren't THAT worried about the price in general. The only people who complain are people who want it, can't afford it, and in general make a big fuss about it, and probably wouldn't even pay for it even if the price was lowered down anyway. No offense, just my two cents.

Edited by mrchan

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• 1 year later...

I feel the 146/149 are great pens but a little overpriced. The 146 rollerball is the segment benchmark for a nice rollerball.

The rest of their lineup though is overpriced like crazy. The skywalker is ugly looking pen and greatly overpriced.

I think of my FPs as my children.