The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterford Marquis Claria

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 00:12

Hello All,
This is my review of the Waterford Marquis Claria Blue Laquered FP with a Medium Nib (This review is based on the price for the pen and others in the price range that it competes againest, not pens outside of it)

First Impressions: In August, I had some Amazon gift certificates laying around. I thought, what a perfect time to buy a pen or two. I originally had my eyes set on a Phileas+Safari, but found the Waterford Marquis Claria (MC) and the Pilot Knight. I ordered them together and soon enough they arrived at my doorstep. I opened the box and found that the Waterford MC box looks very familar to the Sailor box. On the top, it is inscribe Waterford MC, Fine Writing Instrument. Take the pen out and a cartridge is inside, accompanied by the biggest converter ever. For a first fountain pen of this price, the only way it could be better is to give a bottle of ink, and really, that's not possible with this pen!
10/10

Appearence And Design: This pen is coated with beutiful laquers, it is avaliable in blue, red, metal and black, all with chrome trims. They shine brilliantly in the light, photos will not do you justice. You will notice that the pen has a metal section. This is only slippery during times of long writing, and otherwise is fine. The pens clip is rather tight and unfunctional, so forget about using it on anything somewhat thick. The nib is quite nicely decorated for a pen in this price range.
7/10

Weight and Demensions: This is where this pen struggles. If you find the Pilot Knight heavy, this is a tad lighter. I am only 14, so if it isn't a problem to me, it may not be to most, but still, it is there. It is just a smidgen heaverier then what is needed to be a long writing session pen. Unposted, this pen is very tall and slender, but not like a Vector is. If you post this pen, it becomes supremly tall and unbalenced and hefty, so posting isn't an option.
5/10

Filling System: This pen used standard cartidges or converters. Like I said, it is equippted with Waterford's own, the best I have ever seen. Still, it is not a piston, but it is enough for me. With semi-regular usage, it lasts a week.
8/10

Cost and Value: Saying this pen sells for around 45, and I got it for 19, it is a great and wonderful pen. If I had to have this over my Safari, I would definitly shell out some extra cash to get this. If the Lamy Safari grip doesn't work for you, try this one.
8/10

Nib: You thought I forgot, didn't you. All I can say is, everywhere is smooth. It's either one gigantic sweetspot or a pen with no sweet spot, and it is absolulty smooth, with a hint of feedback to control it. It is a Medium, but my opinion it is a M/F to a M. This pen only comes in medium, so if you can't deal with the nib size it isn't for you.
8/10

Would I buy Waterford Again? Put the Pallas, Kilbarry, and Lismore in the bag, a profound yes.

Total: 77/100

New Pictures
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

From Left to Right: Pelikino Jr.,Sailor ProColor, Parker 65, Parker 95, Aurora Style Pilot Knight, Dollar 717, Waterford Marquis Claria

Posted Image

And the Old Ones

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by MYU, 07 December 2009 - 02:05.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2009 - 23:18

Thanks for the updated review, Nikhil. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 Nikhil

Nikhil

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 00:45

Your welcome. My views of changed from when I changed this pen from Parker Quink Black to Aurora Blue and sometimes PR Electric Blue and its so much nicer. By the way, sorry for the bad picture quality, they were taken from a 2mp cell phone camera
Aurora Talentum
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#4 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:01

nice review. and you're so young!
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#5 Nikhil

Nikhil

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:20

I just turned 14 last week. Those posters are from a couple years back and I haven't taken them down
Aurora Talentum
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#6 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:32

Looks like quite a nice pen. Thanks for the review.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#7 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 19:39

Good job on the review! I have a Claria and despite some poor reviews on Waterford, find this to be a good, everyday writer.

#8 Nikhil

Nikhil

• Member - Gold

• 1,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 21:09

Good job on the review! I have a Claria and despite some poor reviews on Waterford, find this to be a good, everyday writer.

It's definitly very generic, but for a first Fountain Pen, it is very nice. If you care about good cheap nibs, this is a smooth as butter righter.
Aurora Talentum
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

#9 JJZ

JJZ

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 13:17

Hello,

Thank you for posting this review. I have not been to network in a while but before there were no Watermans reviewed. I own several Clarias, a Pallas, and a few others and I find I use them all the time. The write smoothly and are well made. I definitely agree about not writing with them when posted because their weight and height. That being said I don't write with any of my pens posted. Not sure why. I just don't.

Once I get my camera set I will post a few reviews here as well.

Thanks again,

JJZ

#10 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 16:14

Nice review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#11 christiansalazar12

christiansalazar12

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:38

Hello All,
This is my review of the Waterford Marquis Claria Blue Laquered FP with a Medium Nib (This review is based on the price for the pen and others in the price range that it competes againest, not pens outside of it)

First Impressions: In August, I had some Amazon gift certificates laying around. I thought, what a perfect time to buy a pen or two. I originally had my eyes set on a Phileas+Safari, but found the Waterford Marquis Claria (MC) and the Pilot Knight. I ordered them together and soon enough they arrived at my doorstep. I opened the box and found that the Waterford MC box looks very familar to the Sailor box. On the top, it is inscribe Waterford MC, Fine Writing Instrument. Take the pen out and a cartridge is inside, accompanied by the biggest converter ever. For a first fountain pen of this price, the only way it could be better is to give a bottle of ink, and really, that's not possible with this pen!
10/10

Appearence And Design: This pen is coated with beutiful laquers, it is avaliable in blue, red, metal and black, all with chrome trims. They shine brilliantly in the light, photos will not do you justice. You will notice that the pen has a metal section. This is only slippery during times of long writing, and otherwise is fine. The pens clip is rather tight and unfunctional, so forget about using it on anything somewhat thick. The nib is quite nicely decorated for a pen in this price range.
7/10

Weight and Demensions: This is where this pen struggles. If you find the Pilot Knight heavy, this is a tad lighter. I am only 14, so if it isn't a problem to me, it may not be to most, but still, it is there. It is just a smidgen heaverier then what is needed to be a long writing session pen. Unposted, this pen is very tall and slender, but not like a Vector is. If you post this pen, it becomes supremly tall and unbalenced and hefty, so posting isn't an option.
5/10

Filling System: This pen used standard cartidges or converters. Like I said, it is equippted with Waterford's own, the best I have ever seen. Still, it is not a piston, but it is enough for me. With semi-regular usage, it lasts a week.
8/10

Cost and Value: Saying this pen sells for around 45, and I got it for 19, it is a great and wonderful pen. If I had to have this over my Safari, I would definitly shell out some extra cash to get this. If the Lamy Safari grip doesn't work for you, try this one.
8/10

Nib: You thought I forgot, didn't you. All I can say is, everywhere is smooth. It's either one gigantic sweetspot or a pen with no sweet spot, and it is absolulty smooth, with a hint of feedback to control it. It is a Medium, but my opinion it is a M/F to a M. This pen only comes in medium, so if you can't deal with the nib size it isn't for you.
8/10

Would I buy Waterford Again? Put the Pallas, Kilbarry, and Lismore in the bag, a profound yes.

Total: 77/100

New Pictures
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

From Left to Right: Pelikino Jr.,Sailor ProColor, Parker 65, Parker 95, Aurora Style Pilot Knight, Dollar 717, Waterford Marquis Claria

Posted Image

And the Old Ones

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks for the review. I have the same model in black.
I have a question for you though. Does your's wright really heavy? Mine puts so much ink on the page that it looks like I'm writing with a paint brush! Does your's do the same?

Here is an example, compared to my Pilot 78G.

Attached Images

• 2011-06-05_21-48-55_1.jpg

Edited by christiansalazar12, 06 June 2011 - 03:58.

#12 christiansalazar12

christiansalazar12

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:00

Here are a couple more examples. Sorry for the multiple posts. I can't adjust the size of my photos and its not letting me upload them in the same post.

Attached Images

• 2011-06-05_21-50-20_138.jpg

#13 Korybas

Korybas

The pen is the tongue of the mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:24

Thanks for the review. I have the same model in black.
I have a question for you though. Does your's wright really heavy? Mine puts so much ink on the page that it looks like I'm writing with a paint brush! Does your's do the same?

Here is an example, compared to my Pilot 78G.

My 2c worth is that this feathering is due to the paper you are using and the wetness of the pen...
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|