The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

dunhill ad 2000 in carbon with medium fine nib

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2009 - 19:52

Hi everyone

AD 2000 in carbon review.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

enjoy

regards

georges
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh

NACHOOOOOO!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 23:26

nice pen, Georges. Congrats.
"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32
"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

#3 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2009 - 23:58

Happy belated birthday! I like the shine from the "carbon look" ...is it carbon fiber or a lacquer imitating carbon fiber?

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:02

Happy belated birthday! I like the shine from the "carbon look" ...is it carbon fiber or a lacquer imitating carbon fiber?

It is a real carbon fiber, it has the same structure than carbon bike frames and forks .
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Leftytoo

Leftytoo

Miner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:14

Nice looking pen and a good review. But I'm wondering about the writing sample - is there a lot of feathering (thin ink, cheap paper, wet nib), or is this a low resolution scan showing up pixels?

Bob
Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:30

Nice looking pen and a good review. But I'm wondering about the writing sample - is there a lot of feathering (thin ink, cheap paper, wet nib), or is this a low resolution scan showing up pixels?

Bob

I took a the standard resolution showing up pixels 1024*768 which may explain this.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:27

Nice pen Georges, congratulations! After my love for the AD2000 silverplate, I think I will jump on this pen the moment I see a good deal on this.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:09

Nice pen Georges, congratulations! After my love for the AD2000 silverplate, I think I will jump on this pen the moment I see a good deal on this.

the good deals with the carbon ad 2000 are nearly non existent. Originally when they were for sale those pens cost near 850-950€.I have seen two penshops in St Germain en Laye that had one brand new for sale for 650-750€.My favorite penshop (http://www.morastylos.com)has perhaps one more for sale but it costs 550€.Beware of ebay when you plan to buy a carbon ad 2000.Also for the note, I tried a classic pen but I found the nib too small and less flexy than my bexley Americana nib.

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 05 December 2009 - 08:09.

#9 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:27

It is a real carbon fiber, it has the same structure than carbon bike frames and forks .

Yes, on a closer look it shines like the carbon fork from my bike.

Edited by alvarez57, 05 December 2009 - 09:28.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#10 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 13:07

Thanks for the review, Georges.

I also find the AD2000 to be an excellent writer. I am sure their being made by Namiki has a lot to do with their quality. I got my first AD2000 several years ago when factory stub nibs were available. My stub (mounted on a burgundy resin example) is a true B Japanese nib that is smooth and ultra reliable. I recently got a silver place example with a M nib, which also writes wonderfully.

By the way, the AD2000 uses the same nib/feed unit as the current Namiki Bamboo. The nib units screw out of the section easily. If you can locate any Bamboo nib units, you can have options for nib width.

#11 aramisdesaumoher

aramisdesaumoher

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 21:04

I totally agree with you, Georges,this pen is by far the best Dunhill writing instrument ever created even if I appreciate also the torpedo sterling silver line.

I own the FP and the RB,and I regret that Dunhill did not consider to make also a mechanical pencil for the AD2000 carbon range.
I think that these were in fact designed by Jorg Hysek for Dunhill.

It's important to mention that the FP clip is retractable and allows the pen to not fall accidentally when it has being stored in the pocket,and also adds an extra security in the case someone decides that this pen should come with him instead of you...lol.The clip mechanism is "swiss made".

It would be great if the metal parts were made with palladium and not palladium plated.But I think that this could have increased too much the price,as palladium is a precious metal known also as "white gold"

Another thing that I don't like in this pen is about the poorly made screwed parts,these are not palladium plated,and the contrast between the brushed palladium finish and the shiny of these parts is in my opinion unforgivable.
The worst is that these parts are prone to oxydation and subsequently to loose the ulterior layers of metal plating.I don't care if these are chrome plated or whatever else but it has not the same finish of the rest of the pen which is clearly superior.

The nib is an endurance writer and is the best I have ever used.It leads you to hold the pen correctly and to write with an improved calligraphy.

This is a great collaboration between masters in their respective categories:
Dunhill x Namiki/Pilot x Jorg Hysek Fountain pen

#12 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2009 - 16:07

Lovely pen there Georges, congratulations. I have a couple of AD2000's and for me the silver one is the preferred model because of the weight. For me, the resin model is too light. Would love to get my hands on one like yours thought.

Don
A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2009 - 18:50

Lovely pen there Georges, congratulations. I have a couple of AD2000's and for me the silver one is the preferred model because of the weight. For me, the resin model is too light. Would love to get my hands on one like yours thought.

Don

Aside the carbon model, I can also recommend you the ad 2000 longitude in stainless steel with its wonderful perpetual calendar. good luck in your research.

#14 hcsk8ter

hcsk8ter

Feelin' Antsy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:46

Exquisite pen. Thank you for the sumptuous review!

#15 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2009 - 23:51

I really like the CF AD2000. I have what you could call the Pilot version of this pen, the Bamboo.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

Sponsored Content

|