THE BIG French Clairefontaine Order

GouletPens

In order to make this thread easier to find (in case you're tracking an order or some such), I'm pinning it.

Doug

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• tfwall

• Ghost Plane

• ladyambrosia

Can someone provide a key for the paper style codes (5/5, L8, O, etc.)?

I've figured out that 0= Blank page and Seyes=french rule. I'm not sure about the others. Thanks

Just figured out that 5/5=quad rule and L8= lined with 8mm line spacing.

The back of the catalogue shows the various ruling options (page 333).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/4160235161_c832a56f21_o.jpg

I just found out that anything ordered from France has a minimum quantity of the CARTON pack, not the CASE pack. This could significantly change the way this order operates. Instead of ordering a case of 5 pack of loose sheets, we may have to order the carton of 50 packs. It's going to require a little more organization and a lot more demand for the individual products.

Just to clarify...

In the catalog, there are three columns for everything, indicating amount. Which column is carton - two or three?

My assumption was that we would have to order in column two quantities.

- Jen

I think so. It's this column, right Brian?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/4161013724_875dfb70f2_o.jpg

I just found out that anything ordered from France has a minimum quantity of the CARTON pack, not the CASE pack. This could significantly change the way this order operates. Instead of ordering a case of 5 pack of loose sheets, we may have to order the carton of 50 packs. It's going to require a little more organization and a lot more demand for the individual products.

Eeek! :bonk:

Well, I haven't looked at the catalog in detail yet (on a deadline for work), but I know I want a HUGE amount of the Seyes-ruled paper. :happyberet: I'll get a carton. I'll look at the other stuff when I get the chance.

Thanks again for doing this!

:clap1:

Edit: OK, I couldn't wait. Yes, I will email, but I wanted to post here as well.

Definitely getting:

6141 (p.21) Head stapled pads - A4 80 sheets, Seyes rule, unpunched - 20/carton

5721 (p. 30) Unpunched double sheets - A4 100 sheets, Seyes rule - 25/carton

Might get (depends on prices):

5321 (p. 30) Unpunched double sheets - 170x220 100 sheets, Seyes rule - 30/carton

3307 (p. 27) Music & song stapled notebooks (Seyes one side, music on other) - 240x320 48 pages - 40 per carton

:D :D :D

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

So, if you're ordering from France, I'd definitely be interested 2 notebooks in each of the four Clairing colors in La + M (#887) on p. 13. They're not regularly imported into the US either.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Make sure you send him an email so it doesn't get lost in this thread. Instructions got knocked to another page, I think.

Just to clarify...

In the catalog, there are three columns for everything, indicating amount. Which column is carton - two or three?

My assumption was that we would have to order in column two quantities.

- Jen

I think so. It's this column, right Brian?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/4161013724_875dfb70f2_o.jpg

Yes, the middle (or second) column is the carton pack.

I'm going to actually amend the rule I set about each person ordering the minimum, because expecting everyone to order a whole carton is slightly unrealistic. The main thing I want to avoid is to be the one orchestrating all the different 'below minimum' requests and have to increase my emails from 50 a day to 500 a day just to coordinate everything. The minimum for an order is the case pack, and I won't order a particular item unless I can purchase the whole case pack paid in full. It doesn't matter to me who 'coordinates' the purchase of the case pack, whether 10 of you want to go in on a case, or if just one person wants the whole case. I'm even willing to coordinate shipping out to individuals sharing a case of a particular item once I get the order in. If you all can sort of help to coordinate with each other on who might be interested in certain items, I can work with you a lot easier. Just post in here for inquiries to other FPN members if you know you're not going to purchase an entire case so you can find others to help coordinate a case purchase. Thanks everyone for being patient with me so far.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Just to clarify - for the items I listed, I intend to buy the entire carton (second column) for myself.

:D

Kushbaby

GREAT NEWS!!!

I just found out that Exaclair has finished putting together their 2010 catalog, which is going to include loose sheets!! I don't know which ones yet, but you can be sure that I'm going to let you all know as soon as I'm able. I'm not sure if they're going to carry all of the loose sheets available in the French catalog, so I'm not quite sure how it will affect what items you all may want to buy from France. I'm working closely with everyone at Exaclair to coordinate this French purchase, and they're going to keep me in the loop about the best way to go about everything. What I have been advised to do is to gather information and answer questions as I can now, but not to actually place any order to France until after the 2010 Exaclair catalog has been released (around the new year in Flash format), and we can all see what new items Exaclair will be importing. Obviously, if the products you're interested in buying will be imported regularly by Exaclair, I will be carrying them regularly on my website and there won't be a need to include that in the French order. I'll do my best to find out as soon as I can which items in particular will be coming out in 2010, but I can't make any promises since it's mostly out of my hands.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

ok just saw 'Seyes ruled'

what sizes, forms, is this paper available?

All of the CF stuff I have ever gotten came with the same Seyès ruling: There is a margin done in red on the left just like the more typical ruled paper. The "large blocks" are 8 mm x 8mm, with three horizontal lines running through each, making each division 2 mm. Looking at the ruling guide I posted earlier, it appears that if you buy the tricolour papers, you can get larger blocks and therefor larger divisions.

As for formats, if you look through the catalogue, Seyès ruling is available for most (all) products that have rulings. You can get it loose, in hardbound notebooks, in cahiers, in wirebound planners...really whatever format you like in the whole variety of page sizes.

As for what you do with it, I refer you to some of the great posts by Anne-Sophie that turned me on to this type of paper:

Seyès Ruling (a.k.a. French Ruling)

For What Is French Ruled Notepaper Used?

If you PM me your address, I'd be happy to shoot you a few of the double sheets I have in planner size (170 x 220 mm) paper. That way you can try it out and see if your writing works with it.

Edited by Chemyst

Chemyst, I just wanted to publicly thank you for answering so many questions in this thread. I'm learning from your responses just like everyone else, and you're contributing greatly to the success of this French order. This really is a group effort, and we're all going to learn as we do this. This is my first involvement with a French order, and I think it's the first time any retailer has attempted such an organized effort with Exaclair, too (though I could be wrong about that). Our sharing of information will only help things flow smoother.

So, if you're ordering from France, I'd definitely be interested 2 notebooks in each of the four Clairing colors in La + M (#887) on p. 13. They're not regularly imported into the US either.

Okay, I'll take the whole carton of 50 if that's necessary since I seem to be the only ring-bound freak, but I'd need to know price before giving a firm firm yes and, of course, $.

That should do me for my MFA. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Chemyst, I just wanted to publicly thank you for answering so many questions in this thread. I'm learning from your responses just like everyone else, and you're contributing greatly to the success of this French order. This really is a group effort, and we're all going to learn as we do this. This is my first involvement with a French order, and I think it's the first time any retailer has attempted such an organized effort with Exaclair, too (though I could be wrong about that). Our sharing of information will only help things flow smoother.

I second your thanks to Chemyst! A friend guided me to FPN and I'm glad to be a new member. ... And hilarious coincidence that I just got a couple of responses from Exaclair as I asked about purchasing Clairefontaine paper in the US. ... You seem to have the ultimate answer to my search! If I weren't so busy with work/school I just might run my own pen/plume/ink/knitting/crafting/everythingunderthesuncool store and do this sort of thing myself!

To clarify, (I'll shoot an email too just in case):

The order is on hold, in a way, until the new Exaclair catalog is posted. Yes?

If so, I'm more than happy to participate, share an order etc.

And if it's any help I'm happy to translate where I can. (Open to all! PM me I think? Still new to FPN but I think I can figure that part out!) Though you seem to have done beautifully Chemyst... Je ne sais pas si j'ai l'autorité pour traiter avec toi, mais sûrement assez de tête pour te comprendre.

Voilà! That's my two centimes!

And yes, Brian, I must also second your reasons for liking the FPN so much... _This_ is community.

Le verbe aimer est difficile à conjuger: son passé n'est pas simple, son présent n'est qu'indicatif, et son futur est toujours conditionnel.

- Jean Cocteau

emeraldboy- welcome to FPN! A happy coincidence indeed...there seems to be a lot of happy coincidences going on around here lately. In a way, yes, the order is on hold until the new catalog comes out, BUT, I'm taking inquiries, and for individual products you're interested in, when I put in a price request to Exaclair, they will be able to tell me whether or not that product will be carried in 2010 or not. There are just too many products for them to tell me EVERYTHING that's coming in 2010. So while the actual placing of the order is on hold, I am still taking price requests.

Dierdra and others- I have you inqiries gathered and I promise I will get you prices on them soon. As I've made abundantly clear earlier, my time is limited, and also with flooded rains here in Va I've just discovered about 6" of water in my crawlspace!! So for this morning, I'm off to Home Depot to buy a submersible pump so the water doesn't reach my HVAC blower, short out the electricity to my whole house, and mold all of my insulation (again!)!!! Yay for homeownership!!! :headsmack: I haven't forgotten about anyone, so thank you for your patience and please just bear with me. :blush:

Dierdra and others- I have you inqiries gathered and I promise I will get you prices on them soon. As I've made abundantly clear earlier, my time is limited, and also with flooded rains here in Va I've just discovered about 6" of water in my crawlspace!! So for this morning, I'm off to Home Depot to buy a submersible pump so the water doesn't reach my HVAC blower, short out the electricity to my whole house, and mold all of my insulation (again!)!!! Yay for homeownership!!! :headsmack: I haven't forgotten about anyone, so thank you for your patience and please just bear with me. :blush:

No rush!!! I'm not expecting anything any time soon. Go take care of your house and family!

:D

Kushbaby

Hi Brian,

The CF Project is very interesting and quite timely as I, too, have just recently inquired into acquiring CF paper in the US from several sources. I am glad to see this coming together. As a newbie to FPN, I am most appreciative of all the wisdom and experience of those who have taken the time to read and follow the threads of this project and who graciously agreed to cooperate in making it work.

I am also interested in several types of the paper and will respond with those details shortly. I am most appreciative of others who have offered to split orders or aggregate orders to meet minimums. Me too!

Thanks for your efforts and those of Chemyst as well who seems to be very cooperatively involved in this project. Another great demonstration of FPN and its members working together to achieve a goal. My order (or request) will be forthcoming. If it is not enough, perhaps we can consolidate the orders in a matrix of some kind and make them meet the minimums as mentioned by others previously.

Thanks to all,

Scrog

Okay, I'll take the whole carton of 50 if that's necessary since I seem to be the only ring-bound freak, but I'd need to know price before giving a firm firm yes and, of course, $.

That should do me for my MFA. :)

Deirdre--- given the same caveat, I'd go in with you on some of the ring notebooks.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

As I've received several PMs, my offer to share some Seyès ruled paper was certainly not limited to only pen2paper.

If you live in N. America or W. Europe, I'd be happy to share some planner size (170 x 220 mm) Seyès ruled double sheets with you, free of charge. Simply PM your address and indicate that you'd like to try out some Seyès paper.

Edited by Chemyst