The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Valor in Glossy Brown/GT

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2009 - 13:28

I've just returned to using Sheaffer pens since my Targa in 1990. I had my eye on them since they were brought to my attention here on FPN last year. I was intrigued to see if that nib would wet my appetite for more smooth writing experiences like I had in the past. I was not disappointed at all. Bought online at PenFountain in the UK, for £141 plus a bottle of Skrip Brown ink at £3.90, I was quite delighted with the service, speed of delivery and of course, the package.
Posted Image
Although I've only had the pen for a few days, and it's my most expensive pen ever, it is now out on my desk on top of its ink box being used as my daily writer; such is the smooth usability of the exquisite fine nib. My Carene and Apogee took me ages to dig out on a daily usable basis, such was the state of fuss I poured over them! Now, thanks to the Valor, they've been cleaned, re-inked and are following behind in the rotation procession.
Posted Image
The pen in hand, with cap posted is satisfyingly long with a reasonable weight for its size. It doesn't have the heft of my Apogee or the firm writing experience of my Carene; rather, it is a more elegant expressive writing experience for me. I thought the sheer size of the cap and clip compared to the sleek nib section would look and feel ungainly. Thankfully I've become more used to it, treating it as my Townsend replacement (sold after lacklustre performance and irritating section alignment with the barrel).
Posted Image
The gold trim with the subtle brown, almost green at times, plastic (acrylic?) make for an inviting instrument to use with the brown ink for casual warm hearted letters to be written in this fall season. In all, this is a pen that is a collaborative product: nib from USA, body from Italy, German design inspiration and a Chinese made box.
Posted Image
Overall, a most promising flagship for my collection.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr Ink

Mr Ink

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 14:23

I've got one of these in black with gold trim. It's one of my best writing pens. The nib is excellent and the pen is very robust. Hope you enjoy your new pen as much as I do mine.

#3 ballboy

ballboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 22:57

On nagging quality issue regarding appearance is that the clip on the cap looks askew. I finally worked out it is the black cap top with the white top that seems slightly misaligned with the rest of the cap. Other than that it is a great pen still.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#4 Nib Joy

Nib Joy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 23:02

I heard these were semi-flex nibs. Is that true of your medium point or is that just on the fine points?

#5 ballboy

ballboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2010 - 19:58

The fine nib is very nice: not sure if I'd say it's flexi, but with the slight tilt to the nib it makes for a soft rather than firm writing feel.
Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#6 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:12

The fine nib is very nice: not sure if I'd say it's flexi, but with the slight tilt to the nib it makes for a soft rather than firm writing feel.

i really like the feel of the nib. too bad this pen is so underrated. i love mine.

thanx for the review, ballboy! i guess i missed this review back when...

#7 ballboy

ballboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2010 - 14:10

As a fine point, this pen is one of the best I own, along with the Intrigue which is not only finer but smoother! The Valor is such a nice, well balanced pen, even when posted, that it is effortless to write with and just melts into my hand.
I love the idea of a P51 but find I'm set with Sheaffer.

additional: I've just learned how to adjust the black cap end with the white dot by twisting the clip round for better alignment: much better! :)

Edited by ballboy, 23 May 2010 - 14:23.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

|