The Pilot Custom 74(x)/8xx Family

ParkerBeta

I've been watching Ebay and have yet to find a 742 or 743 with stub nib posted by any of the dealers. I DID find an 823 with broad nib. Most dealers only have those in fine or medium. So, I purchased that one.

You are better ordering directly from Japan via Rakuten.

Custom 742

http://en.item.rakuten.com/bsd10000/fkk-2000r/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/menet/fkk-2000r-b/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/o/shinsenbung/872760/913131/913196/#shinsenbung:955978

Custom 743

http://en.item.rakuten.com/bsd10000/fkk_3000r/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/menet/fkk-3000r-b/

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerBeta

• Mindstorm

• PatientType

• DAYoung

As I came home from work I found a parcel on the kitchen table :bunny01: My Custom 742 with FA nib has arrived, yeehaa! :drool: The size of it is absolutely perfect and the CON-70 pump is the best filling mechanism I've tried, only second to the Pelikan pump. The FA nib is a bit harder than what I expected –my Namiki Falcon is a bitt more flexier, might be 'cause I bought it from Richard Binder :hmm1: ;) Anyway, I can see more Customs coming in to my stable in the future :P

How easily can a custom 742 or 743 be modified to allow greater ink flow for flexing? Has anyone thought to do this or tried?

I was sent a PM saying the sender had a 743 (FA nib) with the same constrained ink flow as mine, and it was fixed after a trip to Mike Matsuyama. I think it's a matter of tuning the feed + nib to handle the increased ink flow requirement, and can only be done by hand for each nib+feed. That's what Sailor does with the Naginata Togi nibs. I'm guessing Pilot doesn't do so with the stock FA nibs in order to save on costs (which is why the 742 with FA nib is quite a bit cheaper than a Sailor 1911 with Naginata Togi nib, for example).

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing, excellent review.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 4 weeks later...

BIG thinks for this detailed review. It helped me make up my mind in terms of reviewing, then revising, my FP choices (iteself detailed enough for its own article/review, which will come from in due time). Suffice it to say that I'd overlooked Pilot/Namiki for some time, not fully understanding either the pens themselves or the deep history behind them...every bit as deep, in fact, as that of the usual suspects in the world of "fine writing instruments."

And, this time, I put my money where my impressions went: A black Custom 823 will be on its way to me shortly. Meanwhile, I purchased a Custom 74 Demonstrator locally from FPH, some days ago, and positively love it. While the decision was relatively sudden, I don't think it was flighty: I hadn't bought a new FP in something like fourteen years, and, in that time, only one used example. Unless they're locked in a drawer somewhere, I like to think you ge to know a thing or two about the pens you have in that time, and what you like, and don't like, about them. None of my pens were bad; in fact, they were all quite good at the very least. But I also knew that I wanted something different, although this wouldn't come to mind until I got to handle a pen I was deeply anticipating in its release, then disappointed once I had it in my hands. (Yes, I'll write about it soon...!)

Again, a great review on a series of pens, and a brand, that doesn't get taken seriously enough in certain quarters, IMO. (Myself included, until now.)

- Barrett

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Amazon now sells the Pilot 742 and 743 models, with full nib choice (including SU, FA, WA, and PO... but for PO you can use an EF upside-down). Amazon also sells the Custom 823.... but only F, M, B. Of particular interest (for ease of returns) is that the 742 and 823 models are available with Amazon Prime shipping. If you ever have to return an Amazon item to a non-Prime, non-U.S., seller, you will likely end up filing an A-Z claim... even for defective items; that, at least, has been my experience.

Edited by hualalai

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the 743 SU from Engeika, marvelous pen, first rate seller, came really fast!

Nib is not quite as crisp as I hoped, so it will probably take a trip to a nibmeister!

Also have the 912 Heritage with the #10 FA and am very pleased with the flow, beautiful writer and its a very comfortable size for me, so much so that I also got a 912 with the SFM and have been using it as a daily writer.

Next I want to try a SF nib, anyone have experience with the Platinum SF nibs in comparison to the Pilot?

I love my 912 FA nib as well. I have no issue with hard start and no rail-roading as long as I do not press too hard - still get a BB line out of it with quite a bit of flex.