Where Are All The Cheap Ebay Deals?

Cheapogit

Having never purchased a pen from Ebay, I've been keeping my eye on it.

Skimming the forum, seeing some reviews of a few good pens, and have seen 'I picked this up on ebay for...' with between £3 and £10 following. but I've yet to see any usable, quality pens go for less than £15/20.

Is the Cheap Ebay pen deal gone?

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

'He who studies evil is studied by evil.'

-Ranjen Solbor

Long-time user of Fountain pens...but new to bottled inks and not quite obsessive...yet...

Please forgive me if I over-edit (and constantly re-edit) my posts...I tend to have a problem saying 'That'll do'...but I'm working on it!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cheapogit

• Mille

• dreg

• northlodge

Top Posters In This Topic

Deleted double post.

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor

Long-time user of Fountain pens...but new to bottled inks and not quite obsessive...yet...

Please forgive me if I over-edit (and constantly re-edit) my posts...I tend to have a problem saying 'That'll do'...but I'm working on it!

They're there, it's just a matter of being patient and getting lucky from time to time. You see those posts because there are a lot of us who watch EBay and pick up those deals because other people missed them, there was some quirk in the description that caused others who may have normally bid to pass, and whatnot.

The best advice I could give is to expand your search a bit on the bay, look around at a wider range of pens... there are a lot that are simply mislabelled, not fully described, etc. Other than that, patience is king.

Happy hunting!

-- dreg

I recently picked up a Valentine, a Parker 61 (missing arrow), and a decent Conway 15, all for £21. The point was that they were listed simply as 'three old pens'.

I also picked up a pile of "30+ old pens & boxes" for under £35 that included a decent Parker 51, a nice Duofold, and a damaged plum colour P.51 (see my plea elsewhere for a replacement barrel)

There are a number of sellers (e.g "Firebreakline") who always want top-price for their high gloss item, others (e.g the infamous "sellabargain123") want stupidly high prices for little more than rubbish.

But the moral here is that there are bargains to be had, but you need to step off the beaten track to find them. Try a "30 pens for spares and repairs" occasionally.

You just have to wait for them to show up. People don't purposely sell stuff on E-Bay just to give others bargains.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

There are a few possibilities to find a good deal:

• Try to expand your search.
  • Look for non-pros who don't know much about the pen you do know well.
  • Ask questions if you are not sure you will bid.
  • BE PATIENT! Sometimes a good deal takes months.

From time to time I do find a good deal - but mostly it was not the pen I was looking for in the first place. A GBP 5 - "parts pen" P51 with silver cap turned out to be a perfect writer. Only flaw was a missing clip.

The vintage Faber Castell greenstriped turned out to be in perfect condition. Was looking for this one for months and finally I was lucky.

Found some Pelikans at a good price and some vintage Sheaffers, too.

BUT: there will always be a certain amount of dissapointing pens, too. Guess the good deals compensate for the lemons. :hmm1:

Edited by piembi

The best advice I could give is to expand your search a bit on the bay, look around at a wider range of pens... there are a lot that are simply mislabelled, not fully described, etc. Other than that, patience is king.

Generally I'll just search for 'fountain pen' and see what comes up.

Usually look for used or vintages, but anything I see take my fancy I'll keep my eye on (I've been using the 'watch item' service quite a bit recently), and never taken the plunge (although I have bought other stuff from Ebay before...it was just a while ago, now).

As for patience, well... :rolleyes:

I recently picked up a Valentine, a Parker 61 (missing arrow), and a decent Conway 15, all for £21. The point was that they were listed simply as 'three old pens'.

I also picked up a pile of "30+ old pens & boxes" for under £35 that included a decent Parker 51, a nice Duofold, and a damaged plum colour P.51 (see my plea elsewhere for a replacement barrel)

Well, I'll certainly remember to look for batches.

There are a number of sellers (e.g "Firebreakline") who always want top-price for their high gloss item, others (e.g the infamous "sellabargain123") want stupidly high prices for little more than rubbish.

Well, no. I haven't been look at anything over £50 (not at the moment anyway).

And I'll keep those two sellers in mind when looking around. And to give them a miss.

I've also been keeping my eye on some of the sellers recommended in here, but obviously, so is everyone else... :)

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor

Just remember we're all looking for different things. I wouldn't touch a P51 with a barge pole, some folks are fixated on MBs or YoLs. Be flexible and expand your search. When we talk about our sumgai deals, they're often spread out over YEARS and never specific pens we were looking for but rather something we recognized as a deal at the time and snatched.

Just remember we're all looking for different things. I wouldn't touch a P51 with a barge pole, some folks are fixated on MBs or YoLs. Be flexible and expand your search.

Indeed, and I've been looking quite widely for things. Obviously a quality (genuine) MB at £10 (or even at £30) is probably a virtual impossibility, I've been looking at everything.

Now... my trouble lies in my inexperience in older pens, particularly with ink sac pens...in that I've never used one (Although I've used FPs for a while, I've only ever used the same 3 or so). So purchasing one (which is what I have been keeping an eye out for, particularly a CS or similar, and also a Duofold.), I'd be looking for a working one. I've seen, the real deals come with repair pens, trouble is the repair can cost £20 on top, unless I do it, but at this moment that would be a real jump into the ocean...as it were.

When we talk about our sumgai deals, they're often spread out over YEARS and never specific pens we were looking for but rather something we recognized as a deal at the time and snatched.

Well, like I say, I've been looking at anything that takes my fancy.

I've got to start expanding (or kicking off) my collection somehow... :)

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor

I would say heck no, the deals are everywhere on eBay right now. I've been picking pens (ones to restore) on the cheap now for a while. So much so I haven't even had time to restore a lot of them. I don't think I've paid over $20 for anything so fair. Not only that I've sold some that people got some pretty good deals on. Still kicking myself on a really nice condition Sheaffer Admiral Touchdown. It sold for 9.99. I had expected to get at least 35 for it. Keep an eye out, do the searches.

-Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

Timing is everything. Find a time when you are around the computer that is not peak computer time, and look then. When everyone comes home from work, eats dinner, and parks in front of ebay--forget it. Most expensive time, because that's when the most traffic is. Look for deals closing at 1pm on a tuesday, or something like that. Keep in mind other parts of the world have different peak traffic periods than wherever you live.

I also look for unrestored pens, because most of the usual stuff is do-able at the house. Recently, I got a Vac Major, filthy but working, for under $30, because the seller didn't know how to use a camera--really bad pics. I gambled and won on that one. Another time, the pics were bad to hide flaws, and that pen will have to go to a spa eventually because it's too much for me to do at home without having specialized tools.

Generalized searches tend to do better than specific searches too. If you are looking for a Parker 51 Cedar Blue with a Sterling cap, just consider that the person selling it may not know A)the color name, B)what the cap is made of, C)how to find the name of the pen, and any other variety of information. You might find that pen listed as a Blue Parker with Metal cap. I've seen Esterbrook spelled "esterbrokk" and "easterbrook," and I've seen Parker spelled "Arrow" (my parents called it that when I was growing up too). Be flexible and just take a few more minutes looking at the listings.

Much Love--Virginia

Well, I jumped in...

Actually, I jumped in twice in one day.... :rolleyes:

Now, whether the pens I've 'purchased' will be duds (and a waste of money...?...(let's just say they weren't 'cheap' for what pens they were, they were round about what they'd normally go for, from what I've seen.) is to be seen, lets just say I'll keep my expectations low, that way it'll be a nice surprise if they are ok :lol:.

I just couldn't go on watching without having bought something. :) (Did I mention that patience is not one of my virtues...)

Now I can hold off for a while....(?)

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor

If you get this kind of answer on Ebay for a P51. (It is not my question.):

"

Q: What is the length of the pen closed with cap on? What size does the nib write--fine, medium, etc? Does the pen fill with ink or water? Any scratches, dents? Thanks. sternlight9@gmail.com

A: I am about 150 miles from the pen. The pen appears to be in nice condition. You may alawys return it if yo are not satisified.

"

It may be a good deal. At least it will go considerably cheaper than one with good photos and detailed description. If the description includes the nib size increases the price, which is often missing, as well as a writing test.

The pen is mighter than the sword. Support Wikileaks!

If you get this kind of answer on Ebay for a P51. (It is not my question.):

"

Q: What is the length of the pen closed with cap on? What size does the nib write--fine, medium, etc? Does the pen fill with ink or water? Any scratches, dents? Thanks. sternlight9@gmail.com

A: I am about 150 miles from the pen. The pen appears to be in nice condition. You may alawys return it if yo are not satisified.

"

It may be a good deal. At least it will go considerably cheaper than one with good photos and detailed description. If the description includes the nib size increases the price, which is often missing, as well as a writing test.

Well... the ones I bid on didn't contain either nib size or writing test. they were both parkers (although I wasn't looking specifically for a parker, they were just there, and I wasn't bothered if I lost on them (I had already bid on a few others, but lost on them), there was a Slimfold, boxed and A Vacumatic.

Grand Total: £38 (exc. postage, which, especially on one of them was a bit of a mickey take...Nearly £4(!?!):hmm1:...but saw only after bid...never mind.)(even though I've used Ebay before, but last time was 2005...you sort of get out of the swing, jump before looking at small things at first.)...

...Hey...I'm new at this pen purchasing & collecting lark (you gotta start somewhere)...:blush:, by all means helpful ridicule would be useful, but, if possible...don't take the mick!!! :rolleyes: :)

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor

Deleted Double Post.

Edited by Cheapogit

Cheapo.

Current quote:

-Ranjen Solbor